Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store offline music on the external SD card

Solved!

How to store offline music on the external SD card

https://www.spotify.com/se/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-c...

The steps in this guide doesn't work on my samsung galaxy ace 2 with the latest version of spotify mobile. I cant access the setupscreen through the hardware menukey and i need help!

I'm using the newest version of spotify mobile 0.5.1.15.g81977995

on my mphone with gingerbread 2.3.6

does anyoone have a solution for my problem? 

44 Replies

Thank you very much for the workaround, I just got my Galaxy Note 2, and this seems to be working. 

To find the correct location of my sd card I just went into Astro File Manager and clicked on the "Local Storage 2", then it displays (almost) the path in the top row, in my case /storage/extSdCard.

Thanks +++.  This did not work for me until I realised that I needed to put a forward slash at the end of the external SD card's path i.e. I was putting /mnt/external1 as the path.  What worked in the end was /mnt/external1/  Thanks again to all.  I have a  shiny new Motorola Razr i which only has 5gb of internal storage memory available to the user (the phone is great in all other respects as I don't like surfboard sized phones). This work around was a god send.

Would just like to say thanks for the work around. It worked perfectly for me apart from the fact that I had to get an old version on another site as the one posted on the link here no longer exists.  Brilliant stuff.  I too would have stopped my premium subscription had I not been able to store files on my own phone where I want.  May still do if they don't listen to their subscribers and fix it.

I am mesmerised that I cannot use my micro SD to store tracks for Offline play. I will cancel subscription if this is not fixed ASAP. It has taken me weeks of frustration to work out this is why my playlists keep dissapearing.

It's just not acceptable and makes no sense. And how do I actually make a formal complaint about this to be solved anyone?

Marked as solution

@acallaghan wrote:

I am mesmerised that I cannot use my micro SD to store tracks for Offline play. I will cancel subscription if this is not fixed ASAP. It has taken me weeks of frustration to work out this is why my playlists keep dissapearing.

It's just not acceptable and makes no sense. And how do I actually make a formal complaint about this to be solved anyone?

You can contact Spotify using the Support Form.

Be aware that this issue has been in place since the creation of the new look app.

I am done with it. Leaving spotify. It's a pity they keep ignoring android premium users as they do!! If you do the trick installing the old app before the new one to be able to donwload music to the sd, then you have to be careful and not update the app automatically because if you do,  everythnig gets messed up. Come on, what is the problem with puting this option back in the new app????

I tried using your method using one of my older versions of Spotify (since your link is unavailable) for my Note 2. The problem is that after I changed the path and then logged in, Spotify crashes. I can't figure out what to do. Any advice?

Nevermind, I managed to get it working. Right before it crashed, I selected a playlist to download. After it crashed, I updated the app through the play store and the playlist kept downloading on the SD Card. Thank you for the tutorial. Now I need to buy a larger SD card. LOL.

Doesn't work on my GN2 😕

Dir: /storage/extSdCard/

But files but the files remain on sdcard. 😞

Spotify just pushed an update to my phone today, and I'm testing to see where it downloads files to. So far, it seems to be filling my SD card instead of the internal storage, so, fingers crossed, I think they may have fixed it! 

Marked as solution

That's right, as Josef has said - version 0.5.12 will store your data in the most efficient location on your phone/device.

To get this to work the first time you may just have to use the new 'delete cache' option in the settings and relaunch the app.

We're discussing this particular release over here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Android-0-5-12-52/td-p/353438... 

So please let us know how you get on with this feature.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hi,

I just noticed the new update; How can I be sure it will save my offline tracks to my galaxy note 2's SD card rather than the internal memory? I tried looking around in the Spotify App to see if there was a specific setting but no luck.

Did you read Richard's post above yours? 

Yes I did; I cleared the data and reinstalled the app, but it simply resynced all my music files back onto the internal hard drive rather than on my SD card.

I have the Sprint Galaxy Note 2

Hi Cup8489,

What's the free space on your phone memory and the SD?

there is 2.97 GB free on my phone after 4.79 GB of audio and 2.5 gb apps. etc etc.

SD card has 26.4 available, total space is 29.32.

Cup8489, try the steps under Troubleshooting in this post (it adds a manual folder deletion) please. I'd be interested to know if that helps.

That did the trick, all music is now saving to my sd card. Thanks a

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know and enjoy your music 🙂

I have the same problem. Samsung Glaxy S3.

Following the steps on that thread linked above

I am trying to locate the com.spotify.mobile.android.ui folder to delet it but it is nowhere to be seen!

Suggested posts