Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Idea: Can we make our Recently Played list more accessible on mobile?

Idea: Can we make our Recently Played list more accessible on mobile?

Plan

Premium

Country

United States of America

Device

Samsung Galaxy 9

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Could the wonderful engineers at Spotify make the Recently Played list more accessible on mobile?

Currently on mobile, the user has to perform the following required steps in order to see their Recently Played history for their mobile device:

1. From the Home tab, tap "Your Library" to get to user's custom playlists
  2. Open up a custom playlist that the user has created themselves.
  3. Underneath "Shuffle Play", tap "Add Songs"
  4. Instead of choosing from the "Suggested" song listings, scroll to the right until you see the "Recently played" song listings.

Contrast that with the Desktop experience, these are the following steps to access Recently Played history:

1. From the Home tab, click "Recently Played" under the "Your Library" section of the left sidebar.

This is a great desktop feature that does exist on mobile but is unfortunately buried if you don't know where to look. Obviously a navigational sidebar doesn't make much sense on a mobile interface, but since "Recently Played" is such a clear staple of "Your Library" on Desktop, I think it would be a good idea to add a "Recently Played" tab at the top of the "Music" page of "Your Library". For clarity's sake, I'll explain what I mean:

So right now "Your Library" on mobile has a navigational heirarchy at the top of the app that is constructed like this:

• Music
    • Playlists
    • Artists
    • Albums
  • Podcasts
    • Episodes
    • Downloads
    • Shows

I think "Recently Played" would fit really well as a child tab to Music, right next to Playlists, Artists, and Albums. What do you think?

There's still a clear use case for keeping the Recently Played list where it's currently at for those who explicitly want to add songs to a custom playlist, but if a user is just trying to track down a song they heard on their phone yesterday, it seems unlikely that the average user would even think to try adding songs to an existing playlist just to track down the name or artist of a song they heard a previous day.

Cheers!

1 Reply

Hi @MikePatterson,

Thanks for bringing this up & great having you in the Community!

We appreciate the time you took to post such a detailed idea. We can tell you're enthusiastic about it which is awesome 🙂

However, the right place to post this is in the Ideas Board.

Feel free to reach out to us if you need help with anything else 🙂 Have a great day!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts