Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Inappropriate Daily Mixes

Solved!

Inappropriate Daily Mixes

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Hungary

Device

Xiaomi MI A1

Operating System

Android 8.1

My Question or Issue

Dears, Starting from today Daily Mix provided to me daily (all 6 Daily mixes) aren't appropriate and selected based on just some tracks from my Favorites.

In other words I have 410 favorite songs and majority of my favorites (90%) completely ignored for these selections.

I.e. i listening mostly EBM, futurepop, alternative electronic, but Daily mixes provided i got only synthwave, new-age, pop based despite the fact that I am listening for these tracks very rarely.

Dear members, do you have any ideas, how to fix it?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Getting the daily mixes to fit your tastes can be a challenge. It has been difficult for me. Here some tips to help you on your way. 

- link spotify to last.fm. Last.fm gives you a detailed listening history. With it you can see if you are really listening to the tracks you want in your daily mix. 

- Make a separate playlist of artists you would like to have in your daily mix. Listen to that list a lot. Most of the time daily mixes will respond to that. 

- Create your own mix. Create a small playlist with a few artists from the genre you would like to listen to. Than listen to the radio of that playlist. You need only four or five albums in that list and it will work similar to daily mixes. 

- Patience and lots of it. Daily mixes get updated about every 10 days. And it might take several updates to get it right. 

Still I have some problems with my daily mixes. A mix of songs I have never listened to (a mix of Dutch songs, I am dutch but I hate dutch music. It showed after linking with facebook, so maybe the algoritm got it from facebook that I am Dutch). Some artists will not show up in the mixes even after lots of listening. I listen to metal and the black metal genre does not show in my daily mixes. But the above tips really help. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Getting the daily mixes to fit your tastes can be a challenge. It has been difficult for me. Here some tips to help you on your way. 

- link spotify to last.fm. Last.fm gives you a detailed listening history. With it you can see if you are really listening to the tracks you want in your daily mix. 

- Make a separate playlist of artists you would like to have in your daily mix. Listen to that list a lot. Most of the time daily mixes will respond to that. 

- Create your own mix. Create a small playlist with a few artists from the genre you would like to listen to. Than listen to the radio of that playlist. You need only four or five albums in that list and it will work similar to daily mixes. 

- Patience and lots of it. Daily mixes get updated about every 10 days. And it might take several updates to get it right. 

Still I have some problems with my daily mixes. A mix of songs I have never listened to (a mix of Dutch songs, I am dutch but I hate dutch music. It showed after linking with facebook, so maybe the algoritm got it from facebook that I am Dutch). Some artists will not show up in the mixes even after lots of listening. I listen to metal and the black metal genre does not show in my daily mixes. But the above tips really help. 

Kid Indigo on Spotify  

Hey so I tried replying to another post I saw of yours in which you talk about noticing certain artists are "ignored" in regards to daily mix algorithms and I wanted to tell you you are absolutely right. 

I have had my own music on Spotify since 2014, but had a lapse in my releases, at which point someone else took my name, possibly even my original artist profile. I'm not sure what this has to do with it but I assumed in my case it was to blame as when I recently re-released my music, I was first given many daily mix suggestions based on " Kid Indigo" (even showing my own artist profile as the cover image, as they do with the sort of headliner of each mix) but the mix also featured some songs by the other artist who stole my name... and artists similar to them.  

Eventually I noticed my songs disappear altogether, and have had five or more friends/fans note that despite endlessly playing my songs and saving them as well as adding them to playlists with artists they consider to be similar, Spotify will suggest every single artist BUT me... 

However an interesting development is that I was given a "This is" official artist playlist: This is Kid Indigo 

Though my copycat seems to have dominated the more basic algorithms there is some other force at work. 

Needless to say... NONE OF THIS IS AN ACCIDENT 

This is all pretty spooky computer stuff and I'm not even confident there are any human beings left in charge of the web ya know like I'm thinking even their moderator responses here are 100% computer generated. I sound crazy (and am) but anyway... You are not alone. 

IMG_3203.jpg

still wondering about this

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We just wanted to clarify that listening to a particular song on Spotify or having it saved in Your Library (e.g. in a playlist or in your Liked Songs) does not guarantee that this song will appear in your Daily Mixes.

Further, Daily Mixes are spread out across different genres, some of which might be significantly different from the music you listen to every day. So, if you're seeing a Daily Mix which contains some artists you don't recognise, then this is expected.

Hope that clears things up! Feel free to reply below if you have any questions about any of the above - we'll be happy to answer them 🙂

I think people are just confused why some artists will never appear in daily mix no matter what...

Suggested posts