Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is my phone compatible with Spotify?

Solved!

Is my phone compatible with Spotify?

Spotify should get along happily with most Android devices on the market running the v2.3 'Gingerbread' firmware.

For later devices, try installing the Preview version of the new Android app, available at http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/ - this should be compatible on all devices up to 4.0

Check out our mobile page for a full list of suported devices, and keep an eye on the blog for all future releases/updates.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
86 Replies

Thanks Richard.

When the app eventually syncs, it plays OK 80% of the time. The otgher 20% it just hangs.

The posts you have linked to are more to do with the app refusing to open over a certain no of playlists. This is not my case. The App opens fine. I just have to sync 1 playlist at a time when using the Desktop Client. If I go through and manually select the playlists on the app on the phone it will add them to the queue and sync them (albeit slower than paint drying) It eventually took me 3 days to sync around 200 playlists

And....

"but hopefully we'll be able to get it sorted in the next Android release. Stay tuned."

Really? Really? Sorry to sound a little sarcastic there, but do i need to link to these posts?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Spotify-s-Android-Developers-M-I-A/td-p/11281

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Please-Update-the-Android-App/td-p/1339

Or do I need to mention about how much of a bum deal us 'droid users are getting compared to iOS users? We pay the same amount each month as them and basically quality wise, we are being shafted

you shouldn't get Spotify on your phone until they fix the nasty bug with the app. The app crashes all the time, it is impossible to listen to a full song! I heard this problem is on all devices on Android and iOS!

Hi,

Android 2.3.7 on HTC Desire. Random crashes/restarts/occasionally asks for login details.

Have cleared cache/uninstall/reinstall on a couple of occasions. Any help/tips from the mods appreciated.

sutty.

Hey sutty, have you tried changing your password? I've seen this help with random crashes on Android devices in quite a few cases, for some reason or other.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Constantaly crashes on 4.0.2.  Logs in, shows screen for a few seconds, crashes back to home screen.  I wanted to go premium too,,,

Hey mrmosesdotorg, welcome to the Community.

I'm afraid Spotify's not compatible with Android 4.0.2 yet - but hopefully we'll be able to bring it up to date soon.

lol "We hope they will soon though"

As in, we're hoping it just starts to work? You know that if you want it to work you have to *make* it work, right? No updates for 4 months would make the user-base assume you really think it might just happen on its own...

Richard.

Firstly I think this problem.is.targetting your paying user base and not putting paying customers first. Secondly, people are more than fed up with wishy washy answers about updates. My guess is that there no updates planned otherwise dates and specifics would be given.

One lesson learned paypal is when you provide bad customer service and ignore your paying communities requests websites like paypalsucks.com will start to rise up.

Solution: give a date for the update with current status. This would show good faith. Anything short of that will breed more distrust here.

I'm having a devil of a time with ICS on the Galaxy Nexus Spotify is Spotty at times. I'm on a 30 day trial and will leave for MOG if this isn't addressed

I have the Galaxy SII and have had no such issues. Have you checked out the help section of the site? Sorry to sound obvious.

@anitadavidson wrote:
I have the Galaxy SII and have had no such issues. Have you checked out the help section of the site? Sorry to sound obvious.

Fortunately the SII is a supported phone. For the rest of us there is an issue. It's not about checking the help section - if it says anything it's either 'your phone is unsupported' or 'have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling'. Not much good

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Richard

(Spotify forum moderator)

What I want to know is why on Google Play (formerly Android Market) it says my phone is compatible which therefore displays Spotify in the search results and allows me to install it in the first place. Other apps on the market that are not compatible will not appear in search results and will not allow me to install them. If I find those apps on https://play.google.com/store/apps (formerly https://market.android.com/) and click install it will list all of my phones/devices and the incompatible ones cannot be selected from the drop down menu.

Why has Spotify not set their Google Play page properly to indicate to users that their device is not compatible? 

Quote:

"thebruce44

Re: Is my phone compatible with Spotify?
15-02-2012 04:12 PM
With how long ICS dev info has been out there, its amazing how poorly equipped Spotify was for this update.
And guess what, its a paid app that says it works on my Galaxy Nexus. Unacceptable."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I can't believe I've paid for this service and I can't use it. Without any answer saying when an update to address compatibility is going to be available, and since the last weeks problem arising where I cannot even open the Spotify client on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (ICS, Android version 4.0.2), I am going to be asking for a refund of the last months membership and cancellation of future membership. I'm sure I am not the only customer feeling so enraged by recent events.

Recent related threads:

Android client update (unofficial info) (ICS) - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Android-client-update-unofficial-info-ICS/td-p/21007

Spotify app exits directly after login, on ICS - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Spotify-app-exits-directly-after-login-on-ICS/td-p/21...

Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy S II - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Ice-Cream-Sandwich-on-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II/td-p/18647

Another note to make is how unprofessional and laid back the Spotify employees are that are mentioned in that first related thread while talking about their Android client; it is ridiculous.

Richard Thomas

Waaaghzag

A.K.A. - A very angry customer!

This is to expand on my previous post and demonstrate what I mean about a Google Play (Android Market) page being set up correctly. I took the following screenshots using my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.2) while viewing The Sims 3 and Spotify on Google Play.

2012 - 1.png

Notice in the above image it has a message prompting me that my device is incompatible and the purchase/install button has been removed. One of the few time we can say EA did something right 😛

2012 - 2.png

The above image is of the Spotify page using the device. Notice Spotify have not indicated that the device is incompatible and therefore Google allow the app to be downloaded.

Spotify app is Not working for Galaxy S II with android 4.0. It crashes 10secs after opening the app, and running it in online mode.

All newer devieces will get updated to 4.0 eventually, and most new devieces released will be running this, so a 4.0 compitable build should be your top priority! (not to mention all the features it lacks that havent been implementet that the iPhone has yet, and all other feature bugs that are present in todays version)

Hi,

i have the same problem.  So i looked at the phone logs with adb logcat and found following:

D/dalvikvm( 1443): GC_CONCURRENT freed 2168K, 18% free 10614K/12871K, paused 2ms+3ms
I/dalvikvm( 1443): JNI ERROR (app bug): accessed deleted global reference 0x1d200362
E/dalvikvm( 1443): VM aborting
I/WindowManager(  151): WIN DEATH: Window{416451b8 com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui.Launcher paused=false}
I/ActivityManager(  151): Process com.spotify.mobile.android.ui (pid 1443) has died.
W/ActivityManager(  151): Scheduling restart of crashed service com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/com.spotify.mobile.android.service.LocalService in 5000ms
W/ActivityManager(  151): Force removing ActivityRecord{41634c18 com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/.Launcher}: app died, no saved state

i googled for

JNI ERROR (app bug): accessed deleted global reference

and found following Artikel:

http://android-developers.blogspot.de/2011/11/jni-local-reference-changes-in-ics.html

There you are and the reason for our Problem: 

In previous releases of Android, we didn’t use indirect handles; we used direct pointers. This didn’t seem like a problem as long as we didn’t have a garbage collector that moves objects, but it let you write buggy code that still seemed to work. In Ice Cream Sandwich, even though we haven't yet implemented such a garbage collector, we've moved to indirect references so you can start detecting bugs in your native code.

I send an support request to spotify and ask when they will fix this bug. Hope soon....

Greeting

Manfred

I just can't believe that someone in the community using a simple log tool and Google is identifying this bug for Spotify......

I mean no offence by the way; you've done a great job. But why they haven't fixed this yet when you've identified the problem so easily is beyond me. 

"it let you write buggy code that still seemed to work"

Maybe they took that as an instruction 🙂

Anyway, as of yesterday my Galaxy S II is officially on ICS with 3 in the UK. So the roll outs have started. Funny how all the other developers had access to ICS to update their software in preperation for this. Even the source code has been released by Samsung.

"funny how all the other developers had access to ICS to update their software in preperation for this"

It is almost like spotify just don't give a flying (proverbial) about Android users.....

Oh wait that is obviously exactly what the problem is.

I just got my HTC One X (android 4.0.3 + sense 4) in, but spotify keeps freezing after about one minute. when you start a song it keeps playing, but you can't use the app anymore after the one minute (so also no next/previous song and volume). It's probably because it's new, but I thought I should mention it because It seems the One X is not campatible (for now).

@Dr_Jefferson wrote:

I just got my HTC One X (android 4.0.3 + sense 4) in, but spotify keeps freezing after about one minute. when you start a song it keeps playing, but you can't use the app anymore after the one minute (so also no next/previous song and volume). It's probably because it's new, but I thought I should mention it because It seems the One X is not campatible (for now).

Unfortunately Spotify is not properly compatible with Android 4. I know!! See here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-needs-to-support-Android-3-Honeycomb-Android-4...

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Suggested posts