Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

July 2020 - Android App very slow to load search results, and album info - unusable

July 2020 - Android App very slow to load search results, and album info - unusable

Premium family

OnePlus 5T, Android 9

Australia

For the past week or so, the Android app has been very slow - unusable. It takes forever to search and forever to show details of an album (album art, song list). I have cleared cache from within the app, and have cleared data from the Android app list. The problem persists, whether on 4G or Wifi. Previously this was not an issue, one this phone, or previous ones. Clearly there are problems with the current version of the app from the Google Play store. Could  you please provide clear and timely communication on what is being done to fix the issue?

I haven't been able to find out anything specific via Spotify Status or here.

Thanks

Dave

16 Replies

I have the same problem on my LG G7 since July. It's unusable now. Reinstalling, clearing the cache didn't work. I've attached a screenshot from the app status when I first open it. About 10 minutes later I see the UI which then still doesn't respond. 

I also am using the lg g7 and am having the same issues as described. I can't play anything and the album/playlist art won't even load on the homepage. The settings won't load either. I literally can't do anything since I updated android. I've reinstalled the app, cleared cache, etc. ☹️ I'm getting pretty frustrated..

I've switched to the spotify lite app for now. It works fine but doesn't
have many options. Hopefully spotify will fix the issue but I'm not really
optimistic. Had a similar issue a few years ago on another smartphone and
tablet and spotify didn't do anything. ##- Please type your reply above
this line -##

Same problem here on Samsung Galaxy S8. Month ago it was fine

I'll be switching to lite now too. If the issue isn't resolved soon I'll be moving to another service. I'm getting sick of this.

Dito. And I'm a premium member since the first days of spotify. I'm really hoping that they'll fix it.

It's still not fixed. It got even worse now - the app crashes completely e.g. when loading an artists page. Spotify lite works but the restricted possibilities are annoying. Have you found any other solutions?

Thinking of switching the streaming service. Which other services do you prefer? 

Hey there folks!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for bringing this up with us.

Right now we have an Ongoing issue with what you seem to be experiencing with the app being slow when opening albums and artists.  

You can take a look here to see what steps you can take to try and solve this. Feel free to leave your details and +Vote in the thread as well.

You might also want to check out this thread to see if it matches your issue.

Hopefully we'll have this sorted out soon, keep an eye on the page for any updates.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have exactly the same problem on my LG V30

Hey @Pastapipo,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Could you please clarify whether or not you performed a reinstall of the Spotify app on your tv? It's a also a good idea to check if there are any updates available for it's operating system. That way if there are corrupted files causing this, they will get replaced with new, error-free ones.

If that doesn't fix things, could you let us know if the app functions properly on the TV when cast from another device, or controlled via Connect? You can find instructions on how to test these options here.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Thank you for the fast reply.

It may be a little confusing,  but the LG V30 is a smartphone.

I tried deleting the cache, reinstalling the app, setting the download map at internal storage, but nothing fixed the problem. The SD card is a samsung 128gb with no encryption. The phone is at Stock LG Android 9 with the latest updates (as far as possible). All my other apps are working fine (including Soundcloud and other music apps). The only problem is Spotify. The Spotify app has been giving problems for at least six months now. Would be great if you would have a solution.

Thanks!

Hey @Pastapipo,

Thanks for clarifying your situation and apologies for the confusion.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far and would like to perform one more check to see if the SD card may be causing this behavior. To that end, would you mind trying one more reinstall without the SD card? It seems best to first completely remove Spotify from the device (let's say a clean un-install), then shut the phone off and remove the SD card, before turning it back on without the SD card and installing Spotify again.

If that doesn't fix things, could you try logging in with a friend or family members account and see if you can replicate the issue? We'd appreciate it if you could also test it out with another network, perhaps a mobile hotspot would be convenient.

We'd love to investigate this further! We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator

Hello,

Reinstalling the app without the SD-card seems to have fixed the problem!
I removed the entire Spotify folder from my SD-card and set the default download folder to the SD-card again. I re-download my playlists on the SD-card. And its much faster now.
Thank you very much for your help! That did the trick.

Credit to user "ingejanse", who saved my life when he answered to a similar issue back in 2016. He wrote:
As an experiment: who here uses an sd-card, for instance for storing offline Spotify tracks? I just popped it out, and Spotify suddenly runs a zillion times smoother.
Everything works like it should, and blazing fast.
I haven't tested it long enough to confirm that this is *the* solution, but the difference is currently hardly imaginable.
Three days later he gave the following feedback:
Yup, solutions still works. Haven't had a problem since I removed the sd card. Such a bliss! Such a joy!

Now, I add: Yes, it did work for me, too! I turned off my Samsung S10, removed the SD card and checked that Spotify ran as fast as it should run. Turned device off again and reinserted the SR card, WITHOUT deleting the music already there. Spotify still runs fast and I have no problems so far (for 10 days already).
Thank you very, very much, "ingejanse"!!

Possible solution!

I've had the same problem for months now. I clean reinstalled the app shortly after, as suggested by other pages, but the same issue came back shortly after (yes, I save offline music to my SD card). I refused to switch to Lite, I am a paying subscriber and want to use my services.

I saw a different post suggesting that you go to the app permission settings and allow access to storage. I thought to myself "doesn't that happen when you first allow saving to external memory?" Well, lo and behold, I checked the settings, and permissions were not allowed for storage. Fixed that, and huzzah! And no need to reinstall. I only discovered this this week but so far it seems to be sticking. And if it pops up again, I'll check permissions first.

Enabling storage permission worked wonders!! Thanks! Now Spotify is running normal.

Suggested posts