Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Large, unexpected downloads of music

Large, unexpected downloads of music

For some time I have noticed that when I start up Spotify on my Nexus 7, the program starts downloading tracks to one of my playlists that I have synced between my desktop and device. This has generally been just a few tracks, so I don't pay too much attention to it. The downloading does, however, seem to interfere with my radio streaming, causing it to pause, so while it is happening, I just listen to music downloaded to my device.

Last night, however, I noticed that Spotify was in the process of downloading 401 tracks. Why does the downloading occur and why so many tracks last night. These do not seem to be new tracks, because the total number of songs in the concerned playlist is not that much higher than I remember it before the download.

Is this normal? Is there some way to pause downloading so that I can stream and let the downloading occur later?

18 Replies

Hi @JohnGregory and welcome to the community.

I've noticed something similar - already downloaded tracks being redownloaded. I can only assume the download license on tracks expire, and they have to be redownloaded.

When tracks are being downloaded, it's normal for the internet speed to greatly decrease - that's likely what caused the issue with radio etc.

I'm going to ask a moderator whether downloaded tracks do expire or not, because it's rather strange...

Liam

Hey @JohnGregory and @Liam thanks for flagging this with us. We're trying to gather a bit more info on this. 

Mind filling out the Android template in this thread? The more info we have on this the better. If we have any updates or have any other questions we'll post here first. Thanks guy

Here's the info you requested:

Description

In normal use of Spotify, I occasionally notice that new tracks are downloading to my device. In general, this involves just a few tracks, but recently, the number was large: 401 tracks in one case and just under 200 in another. The problem is that while this is occurring, I cannot play a playlist that has not been downloaded to by device or a radio selection without it breaking up, apparently because of the downloading hogging the bandwidth.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

Open Spotify on Android

Select a random playlist that hasn't been synced or click on an existing radio station or create a new one

Click on a track or on shuffle (for playlist).

A notification is already at the top of my screen or soon arrives saying that tracks are being downloaded.

What I expected to happen

I expected to be able to play music while the download was happening.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Nexus 7 (first version)

Device’s Operating System

Kit Kat

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

2. GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

Not applicable

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

Not applicable

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes, No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

Yes, No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Not applicable

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

Not applicable

My mobile Spotify version

0.7.4.610.gd7332b3

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

0.9.6.81.gd359a796

My mobile provider and country

Not applicable

My username

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

Thanks @JohnGregory & @Liam --- Are either of you still having trouble with this? I haven't spotted any more new reports. 

Hi Meredith,

While I have not had downloads of 200 or 400 tracks since my last postings here, I still get downloads of one to four tracks every couple of days.

I have about 2000 songs downloaded to my external SD card through Spotify. It continues to either unexpectedly remove the SD card, or erase the songs. In either case i have to redownload and it's annoying as hell. I also see spotty (pun intended) performance on the app in general.

Can anyone recommend any of the other streaming services? I'm about at the point where, after 2 years of this, of dumping this app.

Hi @politzer I've just moved your post to this similar thread. Could you please confirm your exact device, OS and app version? 

What troubleshooting steps have you already tried? Have you done a clean reinstallation?

Verizon Galaxy S4, Android 4.3, Spotify 0.7.4.610.gd7332b3

I have spoken with support on this numerous times. I've clean installed per these instructions:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it from your device: "Settings" » "Application" » "Manage applications" and then choose Spotify and press "Uninstall"

2. Remove these two folders from your phone/external memory: (1) spotify2 (2) Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

3. Restart your device by removing your battery (If the battery is non-removable, please press and hold power button for 10 seconds to simulate). This will force close any active applications.

4. Install Spotify once again through GooglePlay.

I've cleaned the SD card per these instructions:

1) With the external SD card installed in your device connect your device to your computer through USB cable.

2) For connection type tap "Disk Drive" and then "Done".

3) On your computer: Start > Computer > "Removable Disk" (this is your phone below the "Devices with Removable Storage" section).

4) Right-click the Android SD card on the list and click "Properties."

5) Click the "Tools" tab, under "Error-checking" click "Check now...".

6) Click "Start" or click the checkboxes next to "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" if you want to try and repair any errors it finds.

I've done these  trouble shooting actions numerous times. It's ridiculous.

I just replied to one of your other identical posts. Can you reformat the SD card using the phone's built-in utility and post the exact make and model of the SD card. Thanks.

SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD HC

Have you seen this review?

That's a very detailed link @Joe . Thanks for sharing!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This thread looks as if it has veered away from the original purpose, which was to explore the large, unexpected downloads from Spotify, not problems with memory cards. I have recently experienced more of these downloads, including one of over 170 tracks within the last few days. Is there any new information about this? Given the changing focus of the thread, should I start a new one?

This thread looks as if it has veered away from the original purpose, which was to explore the large, unexpected downloads from Spotify, not problems with memory cards.

That may be true, but I do wonder if they are closely related, data being corrupted in the Spotify cache (on the memory card) could easily trigger a redownload of content. I also wonder if this is the same issue as this bugs topic too.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I understand what you are saying about the Spotify cache being possibly corrupted on some users' memory cards, but I have added NO memory card to my Nexus 7, so it appears to me as if there are two distinct problems here. Am I wrong?

@Liam wrote:

I've noticed something similar - already downloaded tracks being redownloaded. I can only assume the download license on tracks expire, and they have to be redownloaded.

I have this same thing happen EVERY time I start the spotify app. I can start it up, have the 5-10 tracks download that for some weird reason need to be downloaded again, close it, re-open it, and 1-10 more tracks will need to be downloaded, even though seconds before, the app acted like all my playlists were fully downloaded. 

Just for reference, I haven't had this issue for a while.

I recently got a new device (Nexus 5). I'll let you all know if and when it happens again 🙂

Liam

Suggested posts