Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Last.fm scrobbling not working

Last.fm scrobbling not working

Hi all, I'm a fairly new user to Spotify and have had nothing but problems with their software since I started using it as my main source of music playback.

The latest issue is last.fm scrobbling, which was working fine until about a week ago, now it barely scrobbles at all. I'm lucky if it'll pick up 3 or 4 tracks a day. I've tried logging out and back in to both the Android app, and the Desktop app for macOS. Currently neither are scrobbling at all and it's really annoying me. I get really vexed when developers break features in adding new ones. They're worse than Sony over here, and I'm paying £10 a month for this.

Any ideas?

12 Replies

Hey @wizardbynight. Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community.

Usually this happens because of a problem that occurs while Spotify is trying to contact the last.fm API but it fails to contact it, due to a problem or another on last.fm's end. I'd recommend contacting Last.fm and make sure everything is alright on their end. Let me know what happens. 🙂

Thanks for the quick response,

It's odd as it works fine using the desktop scrobbler app and iTunes?

@wizardbynight wrote:

Thanks for the quick response,

It's odd as it works fine using the desktop scrobbler app and iTunes?

Those apps are using the newer version of the Last.fm API which is more reliable. Spotify themselves haven't updated to the newer version of the Last.fm API. They're still using the older version, which has some problems sometimes.

Right, so technically this is a Spotify issue, not a Last.fm issue?

@wizardbynight wrote:

Right, so technically this is a Spotify issue, not a Last.fm issue?

Not really. Might just be your device is having problems contacting the Last.fm API as it's scrobbling music over here just fine. And also I'd recommend making sure all your Spotify applications are on the latest versions and reauthorizing Spotify's Last.fm integration by logging out of the integration via Spotify's app settings. Let me know if that solves anything 🙂

Just to confirm that everything is working A OK over here, here's my Lastfm link: http://www.last.fm/user/MackeyKamran

eh, it's far more satisfying to blame Spotify for everything 🙂

@wizardbynight you know you can check the last.fm status here?

@Joe wrote:

eh, it's far more satisfying to blame Spotify for everything 🙂

@wizardbynight you know you can check the last.fm status here?

Haha yeah. And yeah, according to the Last.fm status site there is indeed an issue while scrobbling to some users profiles doesn't work. I always expect that whenever someone is having problems scrobbling to Last.fm. 

And a lot of people find it fun to blame Spotify for everything haha.

Okay I seem to have found the issue here. It's the PlayStation app causing the issue. If I power down the PS4 then my phone starts scrobbling again.

I know there is no way of enabling scrobbling on the PS4 app, but previously if I used my phone as a remote then it would automatically scrobble that way. This doesn't seem to work anymore. The PS4 app is actually preventing it.

As far as I know, playing music through spotify connect has never scrobbled.

Well it has, I've been doing it for the past two months.

Well it has, I've been doing it for the past two months.

Do support this idea.

Suggested posts