Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I play my favorite songs from an artist

How do I play my favorite songs from an artist

I am unable to play my favorite songs from specific artists.

Seems now I can only play ALL of my favorite songs randomly.

I used to click my Library > Artist and all my favorite songs would be listed and I just click Shuffle Play. I sometimes even just want to hear my favorite songs from a certain album.

How can I do this in the new UI?

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Android

21 Replies

Plan Premium

Premium

Country 

Ireland

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Hi all

Spotify completely changed up on my S8 overnight, I had over 300 songs saved and to play them I would simply go to my library, scroll down through a list of artists that were in alphabetical order, select an artist and then the song that I had saved but that option is now gone.

I was able to redownload all my songs in one go but when I now go to my library and click on artist it shows the top 5 popular songs, not the ones I had saved! I don't want to have to start typing the name of a song everytime so any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated..

thanks,

Rob.

So Spotify has decided to radically change how Your Library works. For a complete understanding of the changes, check out this Reddit thread I found.

This is helpful because Spotify is allergic to proactive communication to their users when big changes are happening. 

https://reddit.app.link/egxj8UcHTU

I've literally just switched from Apple Music to Spotify because I liked how it was all sorted out in liked songs and within a week they have completely stuffed it!

Plan: Premium
Device: Xiaomi MI 8 Lite
Operating System: Android 9 and MIUI Global 10.2

Spotify version: 8.4.97.807

2 weeks ago there was an update. After opening the Spotify app, on the bottom, I tap on the "Your Library". Before the update, inside this, I saw the artists and I was able to browse them. Now, there are no options to list the liked songs by artist. The only option is to list all of the liked songs inside Playlists and play them from there. There is a playlist named "Liked Songs" I need to go through them one by one. When I tap on the artists tab, there is nothing there, only the "add artists" option. I would not like to add anything, I already added my music to the library, thus I expect them to appear in the mobile app, listed by artists. Like before the update.

My colleague also has Spotify, exactly the same version, his application looks compeletly different, but he sees the songs listed by artists. Looks like I am part of an AB testing group, I would like this to stop. The application is not usable in the current state.

Plan: Premium

Device: S9

Operating System: Android Oreo, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I can no longer view only my saved songs, grouped and sorted by artist. I believe this is due to the recent update to the library interface. While I understand removing this functionality was intended, my specific questions are:

1. Will you be adding a method to view only liked/saved songs, but grouped and sorted by artist? My suggestion for this is in italic text below.
  2. When will this be implemented?

It might sound dramatic, but I'll be deleting my spotify account if I receive a canned response of 'view this suggested implementation thread where your ideas go to die'. Viewing saved songs (or before streaming, simply viewing your MP3 directory) by artist is the fundamental interface of music applications. There must be reasons for removing it, which I'm assuming is:

• To force people to now both 'follow' artists, and also expose users to the full music catalogue of these 'followed' artists when they are clicked. This is likely to attract more artists to the spotify platform where they can say 'look how many followers our platform will give you';
  • To prevent stagnating of users playlists, where they don't follow artists or check for new releases, resulting in less hits for those artists on their latest material.

I believe the new interface will perhaps help spotify in the increasingly competitive streaming market, which is totally fine. I am not advocating the interface be rolled back to original, because the change was done for a reason by people who actually work in the music industry and know better than us casuals, but:

I would suggest simply adding a button to allow an 'artist view' of playlists, which when applied to your new default 'liked songs' playlists will replicate the original interface. This could even be 'hidden' under settings so the majority of users will retain the default interface.

Thanks Spotify minions 🙂

I agree wholeheartedly. I have plenty of artists where I only like a couple songs by them so I would like to be able to see those specific songs. I don't want to have to follow an artist or filter a giant playlist of "Liked Songs" to hear the one or two songs by that artist. The new UI is so awful to use. I've been premium for years now and I am really hoping that the developers finally listen to their users, because this is something that bothers a lot of users. Spotify, listen to your users and bring back the old artists tab for Your Library or risk losing a longterm premium family subscriber. 

I know this is a sore topic so please no ranting. I just have not seen an answer from Spotify on how I can play music like I used to.

The Spotify iOS mobile app usability is so broken; does ANYONE at Spotify see this? How can you seriously not allow me to sort the hundreds of songs I've saved/liked (in playlists and to my general library)? And why aren't all artists and albums associated with music I've saved in the "artists" and "albums" lists in "my library"? I would love to hear the justification, and how the heck I can find my music?

Please Spotify, I want to stay with you, but these latest changes are so awful I will have to switch back to Apple.

I don't know what in the world they were thinking. They now expect me to go through my several thousands of songs and click on each artist to follow them just so I can see them in my artist page. Great UX design! I guess now Google or Amazon will be getting my money. 

This might be what makes me switch services. WHY THE **** CAN'T I SEE THE ARTISTS I'VE SPENT 5 YEARS SAVING MUSIC FROM!!! I thought this functionality was only nerfed on mobile so I finally sat down to make a bunch of artist releated playlists so I can actually know what music I have. Turns out its platform wide.

Add my vote to disgrutled long time users that are exploring other options.

Why has this gone unanswered?

How can I play my favorite songs from an artist or album?

Hey there @ThSiliconFalcon and all of you,

Glad to have you on the Community! No worries, help's here 🙂

If you've liked all your favorite songs by an artist you can filter them in your Liked Songs playlist. Head here to find out how.

For full info on how Your Library is now structured, we suggest you check out this Spotify Answer.

In case you have a particular feature in mind, which you think should be implemented in the app, you could also have a look in the Idea Exchange, to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion, and if not post your own.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

There's this idea to bring back the Artist page that contains saved songs that you might be interested in. If so, you can add your +VOTE and comments to show your support.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Xenia,

There is an issue with playback sequence when a playlist is sorted, it doesn't play in the sorted sequence!

If you sort Liked Songs by Artist, the playback sequence does not follow the sorted by Artist list.

The list displays as sorted by Artist, but the songs playback in date added to playlist sequence.  Frustrating oversight, this is basic stuff.

Come on!  None of these answers help us at all and you know it! 

Can you play songs you've liked from one particular artist? Yes. Or no. It's a simple answer. 

My guess is no or else this question wouldn't be dodged so much. 

Why does Spotify do silly things. First they  get rid of the good web player, and now things like this. 

This solution isn't acceptable.

I want to be able to listen to a specific artist and shuffle the current list of my favorite songs by that artist.

Again, before this change to your UI, I could click the Artist in my Library and click shuffle play.

How do I do that now?

Is there a fix yet?.....

I don't know why but until within the last month I have had my liked songs saved under artist in my library. I can still access artist liked songs under library on my android mobile but it is not available on the desktop app. Why the **** can I not access the liked songs only by artist when going to the artist in my Library? Why did this functionality go away? Why does Spotify constantly take a good thing and then make it worse? It is like Spotify just wants to be mean to it's users to see how much **bleep** we are willing to take. 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

We've reported this, in the meantime vote for the idea here. Keep in mind that ideas with the status Closed - Not Enough Votes are still monitored by Spotify.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Spotify... seriously?

Why I can not play liked song from particular artist on desktop app?

It some kind of joke?

This is not funny!!!

Suggested posts