Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Listen on Android in car

Solved!

Listen on Android in car

Hello All.  First time posting.  I tried searching for this but was unsuccessful so please excuse me if this is a question already answered... in that case, if you can direct me to the answer, that is fine as well.

New Spotify Member, using Android Note4.  I just need to confirm my understanding.  If I am a Premium member, have the app on my Note4 and, using the desktop app, indicate that songs are to be available offline, then when I'm in the car, not connected to the internet via wifi, I should be able to play the offline songs on the Spotify app without using data.

Is that correct?

Thank you,

Bruce

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @BKaufmann57, welcome to the Spotify community.  I do not use offline mode that much, but I believe I can help you.  I think what you said is almost correct.  If you want to listen to an album or playlist offline on your Note4, then you should mark it as "Available offline" on your Note4.  If you marked it as available offline on your desktopl, then it would download the songs to your desktop.  So essentially, you can have multiple devices and have different songs offline on each device.

But, once you have marked songs offline on your Note4 then you are correct, you should be able to play those songs on the Spotify app on your Note4 without using any data.  You might use a small amount of data when spotify shows you the list of playlists to play. I'm not sure if spotify caches the names of all of the playlists.  But for sure you won't use any data when playing the offline songs!  

There is an option on the Android app that only lets you play the songs that are offline when you aren't connected to WIFI.  The prevents you from accidentally using data when you don't want to.  This option is off by default but you can turn it on.

Let us know if this works for you!!  If so, feel free to mark this as an Accepted Solution.

thanks,

michael

Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @BKaufmann57, welcome to the Spotify community.  I do not use offline mode that much, but I believe I can help you.  I think what you said is almost correct.  If you want to listen to an album or playlist offline on your Note4, then you should mark it as "Available offline" on your Note4.  If you marked it as available offline on your desktopl, then it would download the songs to your desktop.  So essentially, you can have multiple devices and have different songs offline on each device.

But, once you have marked songs offline on your Note4 then you are correct, you should be able to play those songs on the Spotify app on your Note4 without using any data.  You might use a small amount of data when spotify shows you the list of playlists to play. I'm not sure if spotify caches the names of all of the playlists.  But for sure you won't use any data when playing the offline songs!  

There is an option on the Android app that only lets you play the songs that are offline when you aren't connected to WIFI.  The prevents you from accidentally using data when you don't want to.  This option is off by default but you can turn it on.

Let us know if this works for you!!  If so, feel free to mark this as an Accepted Solution.

thanks,

michael

Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Thanks Michael.

I've switched on Offline in the settings on my Note4, as well as the option to show songs that are unplayabe.

I found the option that prevents playing if I'm not on wifi. It's called "Download using cellular" and as you said, it is off by default and I am leaving it there.

Question answered.

Thank you for your help.

Bruce

Suggested posts