Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files Won't Download

Local Files Won't Download

Hi,

I'm having issues getting local files to play on Spotify on Android. I have Spotify premium, and I have old mp3s on my computer that I imported to a playlist. I have enabled Local Files to play on my Spotify settings, as well as "shown" Spotify the folder they are located in. These files are successfully in a playlist, just grayed out on my phone butare playable through Spotify on my PC. They are checked for download offline. However, I am not able to play them through my phone, even on the wifi. 

I have looked through other help posts and tried many things. I make sure my phone/computer are on the same Wifi, and I toggle downloads. I am using the most up to date versions of Spotify on both devices. I uninstalled and reinstalled the application on both devices. Nothing works. I even get the push notification on my phone that Spotify is attempting to download the files, and it always stays at 0% and immediately goes away.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance!

10 Replies

Hi @jennahowitt

Welcome to the Community, thanks for reaching out about this and letting us know what you've tried. 

If you're still having issues syncing your Local Files, we'd recommend making sure that the files are in a supported format. You'll find a list of the supported formats and some additional tips here

If that doesn't do the trick, we'd suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app on both devices. This is different than simply reinstalling and can be helpful for clearing any damaged leftover files that could be causing the issue.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I just solved this problem reinstalling Spotify from Microsoft Store (Initially I had Spotify downloaded from the website with the .exe) and doing at the same time a clean reinstall on both PC and Android. Try this, because I did everything and it seemed to not work.

Hi @Michele472

Fantastic news! Give us a shout in case that it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help 🙂

Have a nice day!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey, I can't find Spotify on the Microsoft store. It's just... not there?

Hi there,
I know my local files are the correct format. They are all unprotected mp3s, with a few m4as. None of them work, no matter what their file type is.

I did just do a clean reinstall of both devices and no luck.

Hi @jennahowitt

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Just to make sure, have you tried reinstalling the app directly from the Microsoft Store on your PC?

Also, take a look at the steps and recommendations you'll find in this Spotify Answer about Local Files. If you've already checked those steps and the issue still persists, could you let us know what exactly you've tried from there?

Cheers - Keep us in the loop!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I have tried everything in the other link you have sent me.

Strangely enough, I am not able to download Spotify from the Microsoft
store. My laptop is running Windows 8.1, and Spotify does not appear on the
store. When I try and download it off the website, it tells me that "I have
no Microsoft account associated with this device" which is untrue... and
then that I already have the app. I cannot find the app, I just have the
.exe install.

Hey again @jennahowitt

Thanks for your quick reply. 

We recommend checking if a firewall or anti-virus software is affecting the performance of the Spotify app. It should be whitelisted and not having any restrictions. 

We also suggest that you try changing the source of the local files on your device. You can create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now, you can try importing the files again. 

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator

Hi,

I don't blame any anti-virus software is blocking Spotify. What
specifically should I be looking at?

I tried changing the location of my files, deleting the old sources on
Spotify, and putting it in a new spot, adding the new source in. Nothing
has changed.

Hey @jennahowitt,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Since you're running Windows you can reach out to the Microsoft Customer support here. They'll gladly help you make sure Spotify is excluded from any antivirus or firewall setting.

If it's an option - could you transfer the files to another PC and check if you're able to import the local files from there?

Also please keep in mind that only files obtained from official sources are supported. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Keep us posted 🙂

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts