Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files greyed out on Android - tried everything!

Local files greyed out on Android - tried everything!

Hi I'm using a Samsung S9 and Spotify Premium. I have downloaded an mp3 onto my desktop and imported to local files on Spotify desktop app and then created a new playlist with the local file in it but when I go to the new playlist on my phone it is still greyed out. I have tried downloading the playlist, my computer and phone are on same wifi network, I've tried disabling firewalls, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the apps on both devices and nothing is working! It plays fine on the desktop spotify but can't play it on android app.

The song is super important to us as we need it for our wedding next year so any suggestions would be amazing.

(Side note: the song used to be available on Spotify but now seems to be unavailable in my country which is why we went and bought the song and downloaded it).

Thanks in advance!!

1 Reply

Hey @BethAithne,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and for trying all of those steps already.

Regarding the song being previously available on Spotify, availability can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for right now, it may reappear soon.

Still, just to be on the safe side, we'll do our best to help you get that local file working on your phone in plenty of time for your big day 🙂

First off, I know you've already reinstalled the app on both devices, but could you try a clean reinstall of the app on your mobile device? Make sure to follow the relevant steps for your device listed in this Spotify Answer.

If after that the local file is still appearing grayed-out, do you mind logging into your account on another mobile device connected to the same Wi-Fi network (perhaps your partner's) to see if it's playable there?

If not, don't worry - just let us know and we'll see what we can suggest next.

Thanks - keep us posted!

Suggested posts