Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files on external SD? (Android)

Local files on external SD? (Android)

I'm not talking about the sync files here.

-Since I updated to the last version of Android yesterday I had to resync my offline playlist.

-By then I discovered that it didn't find my local MP3 files on the external SD card, and instead started to sync them too.

-The problem is that I don't have space for both spotify music and local music from external SD to be synced.

-As far as I know, Spotify have among other things removed the ability to find local MP3-files (and others) on the external SD.

Is there any way to work around this? For example something similar to downloading older version and then update and so on.

I tried it but I had to resync after the update so it didn't work, but i might have done something wrong?

Please help

2 Replies

Nope, the new version is completely unable to read your music that is already on the phone. The only way to play your own tunes through the phone app is to sync them over, which then means that those copies cannot be played in any other media app you may have.

There's no work around and Spotify have strongly hinted that this is a feature that will not be returning (i.e. its not even on the 'this is high priority we need to implement this sometime this decade' list like general SD storage support and landscape mode are)

Dave
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

This is really unfortunate.. I wish Spotify recognized local files the way the desktop app does. I love Spotify and have had two premium accounts for some time now. I have been playing with the new Google Music, which is very simular to Spotify and it recognizes all of my files.. synced and local on my HTC One. 

Suggested posts