Premium

Country

USA

Device

Moto G Power

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Hello, I can't get my local files to sync to my phone. Previously, I had a Moto G5+ for years and never had any issues with doing the usual download on PC and then download on the app, everything worked great. However, now that i've since switched to the new Moto G Power a few months back I can't get them to sync anymore. When I hit download on the Spotify mobile app it says "Downloading" for a few seconds then stops and goes away without syncing. My phone and PC are on the same network, I can't test another network unfortunately because my PC doesn't have Wifi capability and where i'm living now it's included with the building therefore I am not allowed to reset the router or get into the box where it's housed. This is the only difference I can think of, i'm no longer on the same network as I used to be which was my personal network but haven't had to sync files in a while to know if this is the issue after moving.

Things I have tried: Clean installing both the PC and Mobile app, downloading and redownloading the playlists multiple times, using the Spotify website .exe and the Microsoft app version, moving the local files to new folders and different hard drives, making a new playlist and adding the songs after I moved them. None of these has had any effect.

3 Replies

Hey there @froumeow,

Thank you for your post here in the Community and for letting us know what troubleshooting steps you've taken so far 🙂

To sync local files from one device to another, you must be actively logged in to both devices with Spotify open.

Can you double-check that you've followed all of the support site steps correctly.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you try the following:

• Add some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the local file/s and make sure they have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings

• Play some music on the device that has the local files to see if it shows via Connect on the other device

• Make sure the router supports the Bonjour protocol. If the router is made after 2005, it will likely have this protocol. The best way to handle this is to check the router make/model and Google it

Another useful step in is to change the source folder (as you mentioned that you did before) of the local files on the pc. Can you confirm that you followed these steps when you changed the source folder: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you. We're always one reply away.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy, I can confirm I followed all of the support steps correctly.

The playlist that has my local files also has catalogued songs and I can see it connected playing through desktop and mobile.  It downloads the catalogued songs fine on mobile but still not the local ones. I will have to check into the router specs.

I followed your steps changing the source folder again and it still didn't work.

Screenshot_20210306-134430.png

Hey again @froumeow,

Thank you for your reply and for doing all of the troubleshooting we provided.

We suspect this might be a network issue. In order for the transfers to function, the router and network need to be properly configured. For example UPnP needs to be enabled.

If this is not a private network, it's most likely has more restrictions and doesn't support the necessary protocols for the transfer.

If that's the case we're afraid we won't be able to help without them having the option to fully customize the network and have full router access.

Are you able to try this from a private network?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts