Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Long Press Menus on Album or Song no longer work

Solved!

Long Press Menus on Album or Song no longer work

Long pressing albums or songs no longer brings up a menu. This means I have to rely on accurately hitting the triple elipses for most things, where if i miss it'll start playing that song. Or for albums i need to tap through to the album before being able to access the album dots to get menu, which is increasing number of taps, which is generally considered bad UX practise.

Hopefully this is just a bug and not a design decision.

Please bring back long press menus! 

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

OnePlus 5

Operating System

Android

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @polite_society,

Thanks for raising this with us 🙂

There's an idea relating to this feature in the Idea Exchange. You can add your vote to it here.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else 😉

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @polite_society,

Thanks for raising this with us 🙂

There's an idea relating to this feature in the Idea Exchange. You can add your vote to it here.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else 😉

Why on earth do we need to have an "idea" to vote on to have an incredibly basic feature that was already on spotify. That is the most ridiculous pile of **bleep** I've ever heard. 

Edit: looks like peter here isn't very good at his job because this thread here explains it is an ongoing issue that is being looked into, the one he linked isn't helpful in the slightest. Also apparently c r a and p spell a bad word. I swear this place is run by toddlers sometimes.

Hey @datfenristho,

Thanks for your reply.

The Ongoing Issue thread that you linked to is related to the 'Add album to playlist' feature disappearing on Android. Although this feature used to appear in the three-dot menu, it is not related to the fact that the option to long-press to open the relevant menu was removed. We can confirm that the latter is expected behaviour, not an issue.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if you have any further questions.

There are just 30 votes. Nobody comes here. Please move this feature back.

😐😐😐😐😐😐😐

That's a different issue. This is related to getting a menu from a long tap

Are you **bleep**ing braindead? How is a feature that used to work not working anymore expected behaviour? Why was the feature removed in the first place? This is a standard as **bleep** use case and whoever decided to remove it was doing a bad job

Typical Spotify, 'stupefying' the Android app to further cause frustration.

Still not solved.

This is still there - and what's more frustrating is, the menu works in playlists but not in albums, when those are essentially similar interfaces (i.e. list of tracks). Why would someone not want to bring up the menu on albums? How is this expected behavior?

Hi folks, 

We've tried this on our end and we were able to bring up the menu in Your Library and Search for albums and tracks, but not in the Home section. 

@San_D, could you let us know in which section did you try this? If you've tried  in Your Library or Search and it didn't work, we suggest that you run a clean reinstall following these specific steps. In case that the issue persists after the clean reinstall, could you send over the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This still doesn't work.
Long press on songs in playlist works
Long press on songs in search works.
Long press on songs in albums doesn't work.
Long press on songs in queue doesn't work.
Long press on albums on artist page doesn't work.

The last three used to bring up the expected context menus a few years ago
back before this was reported.

Hey @polite_society

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

As previously mentioned, it's currently possible to bring up the menu by long pressing albums and tracks in Your Library and Search, but not in the Home section. Also, it's not possible to bring it up this way on songs in queue or in albums on the artist pages.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Wow. This is dumber than I thought. So, I can long pause to bring up a menu when there is also the 3 dots to bring up the menu but I CAN'T long pause when there ISN'T the 3 dot option..........I guess no one might want to queue up multiple albums from the same artist. This doesn't seem like a complicated fix since the feature previously existed (and currently exists in a nerfed form) but whatever. 

Spotify design team is just an elitist echo-chamber at this moment: Removing swipe-down to search on android for NO reason, acting like they have never seen the backlash before even though it exists for more than 2 years, and doing really incredulous things like removing queueing options and serving us the new "hot garbage" desktop app. It's a shame really...

@Eni

It works on Liked Songs (Library) and other playlists, but does not on albums. This is on Android version of Spotify (8.6.20.1063).

Long pressing on Songs in an Album even results in the phone vibrating, suggesting that the long press should bring something up, but it does nothing.

It would also be nice to have the long press for items in the recently searched list as adding a recently searched song to queue would be nice. That way you don't have to search for the song again.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback in this thread.

@San_D - can you provide us a screen recording so that we can have a closer look directly from your end?

@Gaweringo - if you think your suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Jeremy, here you go. The problem is quite simple. Press and hold does not work on Albums but does on Playlists.

Suggested posts