Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

More devices online at same time with same account

Solved!

More devices online at same time with same account

Hi.

I have a question 🙂

Why can't there be more than one user/device online on spotify at the same time at the same account?

Im borrowing my spotify to a god friend, and we have a big issue.

If im on internet (WI-FI) and he is on internet (WI-FI) at same time, this happens;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy s2 1; 1.st person going on spotify.

Samsung Galaxy s3 2; going on spotify say 5 mins after. 

(Both have WI-FI on)

Samsung Galaxy s2 1; get a message; Someone is using your spotify account.

Samsung Galaxy s3 2; Music stops.

Samsung Galaxy s3 2; Start music again.

Samsung Galaxy s2 1; Now he get the message; Someone is using your spotify account.

And the music stops for the device 2 (samsung galaxy s3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was only an exemple of two mobile devices, but i hope you got it.

Hard to explaing.

But is it possible that you make it possible for more than 1 device at Wi-Fi at samme time??

This is really stupid..

This happens with;

computer - Mobile

Mobile - Computer

Mobile - Mobile

(if you want) Iphone - mobile.... computer...

Yeah you get it.

Pleas fix it... 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This isn't down to security, its down to licensing. 

Spotify is only licensed for personal usage (as in the terms and conditions), meaning each person needs to have their own account. Since you can't be in two places at the same time, you are only allowed 1 active stream at any given time hence why the system will tell you someone else is using your account. 

If you have Spotify premium, you can get around this using offline playlists and forcing clients into offline mode if you would like more than 1 device playing, but again that is not ideal! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

@martin210497 wrote:

Hi.

I have a question 🙂

Why can't there be more than one user/device online on spotify at the same time at the same account?

Im borrowing my spotify to a god friend, and we have a big issue.

If im on internet (WI-FI) and he is on internet (WI-FI) at same time, this happens;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy s2 1; 1.st person going on spotify.

Samsung Galaxy s3 2; going on spotify say 5 mins after. 

(Both have WI-FI on)

Samsung Galaxy s2 1; get a message; Someone is using your spotify account.

Samsung Galaxy s3 2; Music stops.

Samsung Galaxy s3 2; Start music again.

Samsung Galaxy s2 1; Now he get the message; Someone is using your spotify account.

And the music stops for the device 2 (samsung galaxy s3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was only an exemple of two mobile devices, but i hope you got it.

Hard to explaing.

But is it possible that you make it possible for more than 1 device at Wi-Fi at samme time??

This is really stupid..

This happens with;

computer - Mobile

Mobile - Computer

Mobile - Mobile

(if you want) Iphone - mobile.... computer...

Yeah you get it.

Pleas fix it... 😞

Hi,

This is primarily due to security issues, to prevent someone from using your spotify account.

If you have a suggestion as to a way to make it secure but more than 1 device, please let us know in the Ideas section.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||
Marked as solution

This isn't down to security, its down to licensing. 

Spotify is only licensed for personal usage (as in the terms and conditions), meaning each person needs to have their own account. Since you can't be in two places at the same time, you are only allowed 1 active stream at any given time hence why the system will tell you someone else is using your account. 

If you have Spotify premium, you can get around this using offline playlists and forcing clients into offline mode if you would like more than 1 device playing, but again that is not ideal! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Is it still the situation that you cannot use the same account for more than one device?  I have multiple devices some that my kids use and I do not want to pay £10 for a 4 year old to listen to music now and again while I stream to my Sonos system.  Surely its possible to allow a family membership of some sort where you need to register devices.  For example Sky Go (in the UK) allows only registered devices to access the account.  I would be happy to pay slightly higher rate for a family pass but not £30 for 3 devices.

As good as Spotify is, I think if this issue isnt resolved I will be looking elsewhere for more flexibility.

The idea for a family subscription still stands unimplemented I'm afraid.

Suggested posts