Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Moved downloaded spotify songs to SD card, now I can't play them

Solved!

Moved downloaded spotify songs to SD card, now I can't play them

Had a bunch of playlists downloaded, did the apps2 SD thing and moved all my data to my SD card but now spotify won't recognize the songs in my playlists as downloaded and I don't want to eat up data when I am off line. Any tips on how I should've done this, or can fix it. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Issues with SD cards appearing to unmount on the S3 are, unfortunately, not unusual. I'm not sure if the issue is restricted to one type of card but there are many threads on android forums such as this one which might help. If your card is still under guarantee, I'd suggest getting it replaced.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Please keep me posted. Normally when spotify has issues with the SD card, other apps do too but this isn't the case with you so somethiing else is going on.

If, after testing the app using internal storage, you decide to switch back to the external card, it's important to make sure you delete that spotify folder in internal storage before reinstalling.

Marked as solution

I'm afraid not. Spotify content is encrypted and can only be played using the spotify app.

Marked as solution

Unfortunately no.

The songs are downloaded in an encrypted format. And you need the app and
your account to decrypt them in order to play them... also only through the
Spotify app.
Also you need to get 'online' at least once a month to keep the songs
playable.

15 Replies

HI, and welcome to the community!

This is because Spotify will still be looking where it originally saved the files to. Currently there is no way to change the location of where it saves them.

Moving the files somewhere else will mean that Spotify won't be able to find them, so it can't use them as offline files, meaning you can't play them.

Spotify will sync the files to the storage with the most spave (either internal or SD); so if you make it so that there is more space on your SD than your internal storage, then Spotify will sync automatically to the SD for you.

The solution to fix it would be to delete the offline files, preferably by fully reinstalling the application. If you want to resync them, you can do so at that point, and if you want them on the SD you will need to create more space on it than the internal storage before you start the sync or launch the application.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

About: "... Spotify will sync the files to the storage with the most spave (either internal or SD); so if you make it so that there is more space on your SD than your internal storage, then Spotify will sync automatically to the SD for you..."

This doesn't seem to work on my Galaxy S3. Sometimes it gives the error SD card not found while the card is mounted and accesible as well. Also the SD card is 32 GB with 11Gb of free space while the internal has only 8 with 3 Gb available. Doesn't seem to help though.

Even got a message saying:

"We found no place to store our data, please check that you have a working SD card and free space"

I checked and both internal and external storage had at least 3 Gb free space... any suggestions? It's really annoying.

Marked as solution

Issues with SD cards appearing to unmount on the S3 are, unfortunately, not unusual. I'm not sure if the issue is restricted to one type of card but there are many threads on android forums such as this one which might help. If your card is still under guarantee, I'd suggest getting it replaced.

Thank you for the thread, unfortunately there is nothing wrong with my SD card.

While the Spotify app shows this message, the SD card isn't unmounted at all and is actually still accesable by all other apps as well as the system information about storage.

Let's rewind a bit. Can you please confirm a few details for me:

Android version

Spotify version

Available space in the both the internal SD/USB storage and the external SD

Location of the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui (please check both internal and external storage)

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this 🙂

Hi,

Tnx for helping in advance.

My Galaxy S3 runs currently on Android 4.1.2.

Spotify version is : 0.7.3.636.ga3aacdd3 (so surprised it's not a major release yet??)

Internal storage 11.25 Gb/ 2.77 Available.

External Storage SD Card 14.90 GB/ 8.41 available.

Location of the folder: /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

In the meanwhile I've tried to uninstall the app and reinstalling the app. So far it seems to be working.

I was thinking what I could try, when it happens again, is to install the app on the internal storage by unmounting the external SD when installing the app... I'll give a status update when I've tried this.

Marked as solution

Please keep me posted. Normally when spotify has issues with the SD card, other apps do too but this isn't the case with you so somethiing else is going on.

If, after testing the app using internal storage, you decide to switch back to the external card, it's important to make sure you delete that spotify folder in internal storage before reinstalling.

Hi there,

Ok here's what's up (so far).

I've uninstalled the Spotify app, then unmounted the external SD card.

Then reïnstalled the app, so now it's installed on my internal storage and this seems to be working just fine.

Now I did find out afterwards that I could access my external SD card, but couldn't delete anything from it permanently or completely.

Even a disc format through my phone didn't help.

I tried making some video's or pictures and those didn't save to the card.

My thought is that the card is actually broken after all. So I was thinking of getting a brand new 32 Gb card, but come to think of it, it's not really worth the money since I only used it to strore MP3s on and now that I have spotify it totally renders it useless.

So many thanks for all the help, but I think I've finally found what was the problem...like you said... a defective SD card.

Sorry to hear the card was broken but pleased that spotify is working for you now. Thank you for the update 🙂

I did every thing up to the cog deleted everything with the SD. Card in my phone it plays the songs it downloaded but when I take SD card out phone and put in blu tooth speaker it don't play

Will you please help me

Hi,

Just to be clear... You downloaded the songs to the SD card, in your phone
and they play fine through Spotify on your phone? (because they should).
But what is it you're trying to do next? You can't download the songs to an
SD card and then expect the songs to play through the SD card outside of
the phone because it needs the app on your phone. Does that answer your
question perhaps?

Hi,

This seems like a good place to ask a question 🙂

I have Spotify premium and want to download a playlist for my father who has dementia.

I have a simple portable speaker with an SD card slot (no screen, no apps.... Just plays music files from the SD card and that's it).

Will my downloaded Spotify tunes play on such a simple device that doesn't have the Spotify app? 

Thank you in advance for your answer.

(And any player recommendations appreciated)

Marked as solution

I'm afraid not. Spotify content is encrypted and can only be played using the spotify app.

Marked as solution

Unfortunately no.

The songs are downloaded in an encrypted format. And you need the app and
your account to decrypt them in order to play them... also only through the
Spotify app.
Also you need to get 'online' at least once a month to keep the songs
playable.

Suggested posts