Announcements

Music Randomly pausing on Android

Solved!

Music Randomly pausing on Android

Katerina

Hey everyone,

We've seen reports that the app will just stop playing music halfway through a song randomly.

First, please make sure that you're on the latest version of the app

If that doesn't help, make sure to click the +VOTE button.

You can also leave a comment with the following details:

• Device 
  • Device OS version
  • Spotify version

Thanks for bearing with us!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 
Top Answer
Alex

Hey folks,

For those of you who are still experiencing this issue we'd recommend the following:

• Some Android phones have Battery Optimization enabled by default. This can hinder the performance of apps such as Spotify. This is why we'd suggest disabling it. You can check how to do this for your specific brand of device here.
  • Head over to this Spotify Answer, to learn why your app might be pausing playback and check if any of the suggestions work for you.

Hope you find the info provided helpful. We're always a click away if you need more help or have questions!

257 Replies

francoboy7

Samsung Galaxy S8

Android 8.0

Spotify latest version

emertinsp

I got it fixed, maybe it's the same problem for some of you.

In my case, my phone had just updated to Android Pie. I eventually found out that this new feature, "Smart Battery" or "Auto Battery" or something, restricts apps from working in the background in some way. Spotify was blacklisted by this new feature. Disabled it so the phone would allow it to function as a background task, and that was it. It's now working again.

I know Android Oreo has a similar feature too. Check in both cases, if Spotify is blacklisted to not work in the background.

Will_T

@emertinsp wrote:

I eventually found out that this new feature, "Smart Battery" or "Auto Battery" or something, restricts apps from working in the background in some way. Spotify was blacklisted by this new feature. Disabled it so the phone would allow it to function as a background task, and that was it. It's now working again.

I know Android Oreo has a similar feature too. Check in both cases, if Spotify is blacklisted to not work in the background.

In my case it still happens occasionally and I use a simple batch file to disable both of Pie's Doze Modes. Doing this eliminates the battery saving features you refer to.  The Spotify problem also happens on a couple of devices I have running mch older versions of Android so it is not limited to Pie or recent Android updates.
Disabling Doze has the added benefit of fixing all the delayed notification problems that the latest versions of Android's battery saving features have caused.  In my case my battery life is pretty much the same with Doze disabled as it was before I did that.  The only inconvience is that you need to run the batch file after each time you restart your phone as restarting re-enables both instances of Doze.
Long thread you can read about this issue here:  https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/904647-notifications-delayed-stopped.html

Bayernshort

Xiaomi redmi note 4x same problem! 

Android 7.0

Spotify 8.4.81. 558

bojtimoric

Have the same issue, and it's driving me crazy!!!

Device: Xiaomi Redmi 4X

Spotify version: 8.4.82.664

DP39

Running Spotify premium version 8.4.82.664, JUST updated this morning Sunday 12/2/18..on Android 7.0

Issue still happening..as the rest are reporting. Grumble.

Skewbal

Same problem occurring on Sony XBR smart TV with Android

N-Jineer

My Samsung auto updated to version 8.4.82.664 on the evening of 29th November.

I've now had 3 days of trouble free Soptify listening whether it be via Bluetooth in the car, headphones or just blaring out the Samsung inbuilt speaker.

Stinky_Jim

Android 7.1.1 Spotify 8.4.82.664

Stephpanda

Im having th same problem on

S9

S5

and web player. 

the only place it has played fine over the past week is on the XBox1 

bojtimoric

**bleep**! It is soooooo irritating!!! Do something!!! It cant be that complicated that your programmer army cant solve it in a minute!!! I pay you a bunch of money every month for this!

imnotarealrobot

I have a Sony XZ Premium, which comes preinstalled with Spotify since Oreo (now on Pie). I also have an LG G5 with Oreo - both had issues in my old car, where the audio would just stop being output to speakers, but the app still shows the song playing, time still passes for playback. I recently hit this again in a different car with the Sony - and it's worse in this car. I gave my dealership a lot of grief until I found out it was Spotify causing issues, not my stereo. I always made sure the latest version was installed, tried uninstall/reinstall, but can't do that with the Sony.

In the car I'm in now (a loaner) the behavior is that Spotify won't output any audio most of the time. The app shows the song playing, but nothing comes out of the car speakers (bluetooth). Sometimes skipping the song will get it working, but over half of the time when it fixes the audio, the audio will cut out again within 20-30 seconds, and I have to try repeating the same steps. Lately I just switch to my music player on my phone (which hasn't ever caused this issue) instead of using Spotify. I tried with Android Auto, and the same thing happened, and crashed the android auto app in the car too.

Sometime recently the radio disappeared from my android app. I use the free version (tried premium but didn't find value if I can't even listen consistently over bluetooth) so now my only options are playlists, or shuffling an artist/album. What kind of model is this? Why is it sooo different than other platforms (android tablet, windows desktop, etc.)?

Katerina

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bearing with us thus far!

We can see that there's a newer version of the Android app available. 

Kindly make sure you've updated to that version and let us know if the issue persists for you. You can double-check this by following the steps here.

If the issue persists even after updating to the latest version, kindly let us know the device and OS version you're on, as well as the version of the Spotify app you end up with.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies.

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

MatthiasMcD

Since the latest update, for the last few days / week or so, I have had no further issues. Haven't been using it very heavily either though. Will report back if something changes for the worse, but for now I'm smooth sailing again, thanks!

Bayernshort

Since the last update it's better but still stopping. 

Phone xiaomi redmi 4x 

Android 7.0 NRD90M

Spotify 8.4.83. 625

N-Jineer

I've now had 10 days trouble free listening, and after the latest update auto-installed this morning, I am still trouble free 🙂

Tsinobmort

I'm also struggling with this.

App version: 8.4.83.625

Stinky_Jim

I have officially given up. The software has faults. Either I live with them or cancel. End of story.

Jemi

Hey @Bayernshort@Tsinobmort and @Stinky_Jim

We're still looking into this, and are gathering more info so we can pinpoint the cause of this and investigate further.

Please try the following:

• Reinstall the app.
  • Restart your device.
  • Check with different devices to seem if the same issue occurs.
  • Restart your router.
  • Try with different WiFi networks and 3G/4G.
  • Disable Battery and Power saving mode.
  • Reset your password, and "sign out everywhere" from your account page.

Let us know how it goes, and comment your new Spotify version after reinstall. 

Thanks!

imnotarealrobot

I can't reinstall since it's Sony and preinstalled. Here is the current behavior with the latest:

1. I was previously listening to spotify over bluetooth

2. Now I get in my car and pair, when I open Spotify it shows the loading spinner indefinitely and never plays the song that is currently displayed as 'playing'

3. I can skip the song, and the next plays instantly

4. After about 10 seconds, the song stops playing (maybe saying no internet connection)

5. Most of the time it will recover, and start the music again after another 10-20 seconds.

Note, I do listen to spotify from a desktop in between step 1 & 2

Suggested posts

Env: prod