Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music interrupted by notification/ring

Solved!

Music interrupted by notification/ring

Listening to music on Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.1, the music is always being interrupted by the notification sounds, like when I get a text. I cannot find the a setting that will stop this from happening, apart from getting rid of all notification and ringer sounds altogether, which I obviously do not want to do. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Try 'do not disturb' function and deselect when finished Spotify. I don't know if this availlable on any Android device. I work with Sony xperia with marshmallow

View solution in original post

42 Replies

This sounds really odd, have you reinstalled the app at all yet?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Not so odd. Happens with me as well (HTC One X, 4.1.1). Kind of makes sense to me that it would and I think it's an Android feature instead of a Spotify bug.

Yes, I think it may be an Android feature, too, that the music gets interrupted by notifications, what I was hoping was that someone had discovered a way to turn this off, but I guess not. Perhaps in Android 4.2 such a setting will exist.

From what I can tell this is partially related to android.  I just switched over from an iPhone  (to galaxy S4) and enjoyed the fact that Spotify, among other apps was "ducked" (volume lowered) when notifications came up.  No such luck on android, but I noticed that the Google Music app will (but not the stock music player).  

So it seems possible if the app allows it, but given the state of the Android app and the fact that someone had to hack every release just to get blue tooth support Im not holding my breath on any new features (I remember landscape mode taking ages).It's too bad Google's audio quality is soo bad, it's seems nice otherwise.

100% an android issue. Only thing you can do is root your phone and re-develop some of the notification settings. 

GOOGLE 🙂

Try this (on T-Mobile, Galaxy S3, Android 4.1.2):  Messaging -> Settings -> Notification Settings section, uncheck "Notifications: Make sounds and show icons in status bar when you receive messages".  Alternatively, to "show icons in status bar", leave Notifications checked, but "Select Ringtone: Silent" and optionally check or uncheck "Vibrate: Also vibrate when notified".

Credit:  applefan (Droidforums) Music Interrupted by notifications 

The behaviour is all up to the app developer.

http://developer.android.com/training/managing-audio/audio-focus.html#DUCK

Yea, this is an app issue.

It works fine with Youtube and PwerAMP. 

Click above posters link and/or feel free to read: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1bi32i/one_of_androids_alltime_most_annoying_issues/

This issue is making me seriously consider an iPhone. This is so annoying and stupid.

I Want to listen to music without being interrupted all the time. And when I mute the notifications it is even worse because the music STILL STOPS!? 

People say that I should turn notifications off, but that is not a solution to the problem, I want and should be able to get notifications while listening to music, without the music pausing.

Come on Spotify, get on this. You FINALLY fixed the 4.4 KitKat album art, but this audio bug has been around forever.

One temporary workaround is to use Tasker or Trigger to automatically set the volume to vibrate when you play music, or insert headphones, or connect to bluetooth. 

It won't be a solution until the app is coded properly to use duck instead of pause.

I won't come back until this is fixed, for now Google Music is working wonderfully. 

I mailed Spotify about this issue and first got a standard "thanks for the feature suggestion" reply. After I notified them that I will cancel my subscription because of this bug, a "customer retention" agent said they will look into it. Hopefully, they can fix this quickly, as the solution is very trivial. Until it is fixed, I will be  using another service as well.

I'm about ready to do the same.  Between this, the lack of bluetooth support that has been hacked into the apk for ages (so therefore probably pretty easy for them to implement), and the extremely poor options for adding personal music files, I'm about ready to jump ship. I think Google Music would fill all of my needs and I will probably just switch in the next few months.  It even has DNLA streaming which I've been hoping for for months as well.  The only thing still keeping me around is the fact that they use ogg vorbis and the sound quality seems to be consistently good whereas I had issues with Google Music when I tried it in the past.

Fix it already, Spotify!  It's an easy fix!  Users in this thread have already spoonfed you the solution to this annoyance.

Go to settings, add a dropdown option similar to Download, place it above Audio Effects:

Audio Notifications: |On calls and messages|  The current behavior.

|Only on calls        |  Somewhat like the solutions described above.

|Only on messages     |  ...
                     |None                 |  Lets me enjoy my music without interruptions.

Please please please please fix this... It's super annoying that the music **bleep**ing stops all the time >.< i don't need some fancy god darn registration interface but 5 lines of code to fix this already....

I totally agree and hope you guys have added your support to this idea.

The simple way around this is to download all the playlists you want to listen to (for a run, plane ride, etc) and then put phone in Airplane Mode.  No network - no notifications.  You have to have the $10 sub from Spotify, but that's a no-brainer.

Not all notifications are produced by calls/received messages. A navigation software (which also works offline) can also produce notifications, namely directions. I cannot use Spotify while I have the navigation software on. Second, why on earth would I have to put my phone in Airplane Mode, this is not a simple workaround. Especially if the fix is so easy (see previous posts)

Any update here?  Just came from iPhone to Android and this is really annoying.

No change I'm afraid but I use A2DP Volume. It can be set to silence notifications automatically whn you connect a headset.

I'm having the same issue, especially when driving. I have the Coyote app, which notifies when I'm approaching a radar or other dangerous traffic situations. This app plays a loud beep to notify me. I love to play spotify music on my car stereo using the bluetooth connection, but it certainly pisses me off when a great song is interrupted by these notifications. It even makes me turn on the radio and switch off spotify...

I did some research on this and unfortunately there is no solution yet, but there is a workaround. I've got a Samsung S3 mini.

If you hit the volume button, the settings wheel pops up. tap the wheel and you get three scroll bars; Media, Ringtone and Notification.

If you turn down the volume for notifications, the music won't stop when a notification comes in.

You will have to remember to change this back after you finished your music listening session, but this is the best way to deal with this annoying problem. Worked for me so far.

Suggested posts