Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music not saving to SD Card (Galaxy S5, latest version of Spotify)

Solved!

Music not saving to SD Card (Galaxy S5, latest version of Spotify)

Under App Info, Spotify says that it is storing downloaded songs on the SD card.  

Under "Storage", it tells me that my new SD card is still empty

Also under storage, I can see that Spotify is actually downloading songs into the internal hard drive.  

I've tried clearing the cahe, uninstalling the program, but neither works.

Has anyone else experienced this, or better yet, solved this problem?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@GreekinWelsh wrote:

Has this issue been solved yet?

I have a new S5 and I too can not get Spotify to store offline playlists on my 64GB SD card.

I've deleted cache, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, moved folders, etc...and have done all these a number of times, but still the internal memory is used for offline playlists.

Someone please help, otherwise it's pointless having Spotofy premium.

Thanks

Nik

Can you try the clean install as per the link in my signature. There are additional steps especially related to SD Card usage and Android 4.4+. Make sure you read the entire post.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

this is NOT  a solution for lolipop, and the download from spotify mobile / market doesnt actually support external/seconary storage like samsungs have UNLESS they are upgrades from  old versions that do....as such Galaxy S5 users that got the OT to android 5.0 or did a self install or factory restore are more than mildly frustrated to find all these how to's that worked for the galaxys s3 and borderline worked for the s5/kitkat DO NOT WORK for lolipop!

*****update!!!!*****

uninstall spotify. 

it CAN be done follow first quarter of this guide, particuarly partaining first spoiler on clearing spotify data. its not quite right, but the point is to delete /Android/data/com.spotify.music from both local memory and sd card. if possible, remove sd card and backup entiredy of sd card to folder on pc. put back in phone reboot format sd.

afterward, reinstall spotify using this link. thats it! this has been tested with lolipop 5.0 on a sprint Galaxy S5 and no need to go back to the archaic pre 1.0 beta versions THAT DO NOT WORK ON LOLIPOP! nor d*ck around with custom mounting folders from external to local to make external look like a local as some have suggested. on reinstallation, it autoinstalled to sd card first try! One note was to local file bowser to install.. rather than es file explorer or whaterver.

after install, launch spotify.when done, and verified that spotify has data in /Android/data/com.spotify on sd card, and /Android/data/com.spotify is empty in local mem (it will create it), shutdown phone agian, and copy your data from pc back onto the card. reboot one more time and then last step(for those that have it) is rename old shazam playlist and to re-pair shazam to spotify.

enjoy

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Google messed with external SD card storage permissions in 4.4.2 since when spotify hasn't been able to save the cache there. They are a ware and we're waiting to hear whether it is fixable.

Looks like it magically started working...not sure how it happened, but now when I download songs, the ammount of space on the external storage is going down and the internal storage is staying the same.  I guess it's working.   

I wouldn't trust the android storage indicators too much but great, if you're right. You can always double-check by looking for the cache folder on the extermal SD card - root folder should be com.spotify.music.

Spotify still saving music to my internal storage and not to SD card. Internal storage is getting full because of this and slowing my phone, not allowing me to take pictures, not receiving texts, etc. I have tried uninstalling and installing several times. Spotify support literary literature says that it will save music to whatever location has the most space but it has not. Running android KitKat on Samsung galaxy s4.

Can you try a clean install and ensure you remove any folders left over - see link in my signature for a try clean install.

Once reinstalled login and then go to settings and change the download quality to 'extreme'

Now make some playlists available offline.

Android Troubleshooting:

I have a new S5 and I too can not get Spotify to store offline playlists on my 64GB SD card.

I've deleted cache, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, moved folders, etc...and have done all these a number of times, but still the internal memory is used for offline playlists.

Thanks

Nik

Marked as solution

@GreekinWelsh wrote:

Thanks

Nik

Can you try the clean install as per the link in my signature. There are additional steps especially related to SD Card usage and Android 4.4+. Make sure you read the entire post.

Android Troubleshooting:

I followed your clean-install instructions and now it's working perfectly, downloading all the files to the SD card. Many thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

Funny how I did everything in your guide before, as I saw your reply to another post, and it didn't work.  I read your post in reply to me, I do the same exercise, and now it's working....albeit the new spotify download create a folder location on both the Phone memory and SD Card memory.  Initially it was saving to my device, but I delted the folder on my internal memory, and now it seems to be connecting just fine to the SD Card.

I am so confused, but glad it's working properly now.

Again, thanks for coming back to me.

Marked as solution

this is NOT  a solution for lolipop, and the download from spotify mobile / market doesnt actually support external/seconary storage like samsungs have UNLESS they are upgrades from  old versions that do....as such Galaxy S5 users that got the OT to android 5.0 or did a self install or factory restore are more than mildly frustrated to find all these how to's that worked for the galaxys s3 and borderline worked for the s5/kitkat DO NOT WORK for lolipop!

*****update!!!!*****

uninstall spotify. 

it CAN be done follow first quarter of this guide, particuarly partaining first spoiler on clearing spotify data. its not quite right, but the point is to delete /Android/data/com.spotify.music from both local memory and sd card. if possible, remove sd card and backup entiredy of sd card to folder on pc. put back in phone reboot format sd.

afterward, reinstall spotify using this link. thats it! this has been tested with lolipop 5.0 on a sprint Galaxy S5 and no need to go back to the archaic pre 1.0 beta versions THAT DO NOT WORK ON LOLIPOP! nor d*ck around with custom mounting folders from external to local to make external look like a local as some have suggested. on reinstallation, it autoinstalled to sd card first try! One note was to local file bowser to install.. rather than es file explorer or whaterver.

after install, launch spotify.when done, and verified that spotify has data in /Android/data/com.spotify on sd card, and /Android/data/com.spotify is empty in local mem (it will create it), shutdown phone agian, and copy your data from pc back onto the card. reboot one more time and then last step(for those that have it) is rename old shazam playlist and to re-pair shazam to spotify.

enjoy

I can not find the link.

Spoiler

Link Tested, it still works. 

Still works... thank you so so much! 😄

What might be interesting for others: don't trust what the settings/apps/spotify shows you... According to the stats there, the songs are saved on internal storage, although they definitely aren't 🙂

Not sure if it works on every phone with every version of android though... 😜 anyways, it works on a HTC ONE M8 running Android 5.0.1 (Lollipop)

This issue was driving me mad. I was searching hours and hours for the solution. installed Spotify many times, cleared cache etc... nothing worked.

Thank you Tryco2 your solution seems to work.

Thank you very, very, very much !

edit:

I am using Samsung Galaxy s5  lollipop and Sony Xperia Aqua m4.

Your solution worked on both phones. 

How can I see your signanture

Suggested posts