Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music on sd card?

Music on sd card?

Hey
I just bought Spotify premium and Downloaded some music. According to my Phone it saved the music on my sd card and not on the Device memory. After downloading some music it was 5GB for Spotify on my sd card but it said my Device memory is full too and that Spotify uses 5GB
How can my Device memory be full because Spotify needs 5GB when the 5GB are on the sd card where i still have 32GB left?
10 Replies

Hey @julianr2403,

Have you installed the Spotify app on your SD card?
If I am right the music you download on Spotify, will download to the Spotify app (not in your general music place).

So if you download 10GB of music, the Spotify App wil become a little more then 10GB. I think that only music files you put in your phone via the oldskool way (from pc to mobile) will be put on the SD.

So if you didn't do this, instal the Spotify app on your SD card. If the option is possible for your phone.

I hope I've helped you, keep me updated. 

Hey!

Well, the behaviour of Android for this is basically thus:

When you first install Spotify, offline music will be saved automatically to the storage device with the most space at that point in time. It's strange that you can't just select one volume (you could in a wayyyy old version). If you delete Spotify does all the space return to your internal storage? Do you have anything on the SD card?

Thanks, J

Oops sorry @JCdotnl! I think we were replying at the same time...didn't mean to tread on your toes. Apologies! ๐Ÿ™‚

No problems @Jon_UK
Always better for someone to have more feedback from different people on his/her questions! Maybe i'm missing some details, or are having an other solution. 

We are here to help eachother!

We sure are, thanks for understanding ๐Ÿ™‚

@Jon_UK :

Your statement is not correct :

Well, the behaviour of Android for this is basically thus:

When you first install Spotify, offline music will be saved automatically to the storage device with the most space at that point in time.

I have an LG G3 with 16GB internal and a 128GB SD card.

First time I installed Spotify (2014) my downloaded music saved to SD.

I then had to uninstall and reinstall a few weeks ago (due to issues with crashing and music playback in-call, following the mid-November app update).

On reinstall, music download was to internal memory, even though SD card was empty following the app uninstall.

Fact : in Andoid 6 Marshmallow, there seems to be a complete blockage to downloading to SD (as is reported in numerous threads on this forum).

Fact : In prior versions of Android, donwload to internal or SD seems to be random, regardless of which storage has most/least free space (and again, this issue is the subject of numerous threads). There are methods to force Spotify to use SD in Android prior to Marshmallow, but these don't seem to work for everyone.

Fact : the whole SD card issue is a complete mess and needs to be fixed by Spotify.

Yea i have something on the sd card but had still 32gb left
I deleted the music by resetting Spotify and downloaded the music again now it is all on my sd card ๐Ÿ™‚
So its fixed but thx anyways

@Jon_UK

I'm glad it worked for you!!

I don't know why my fuller explaination has been removed but nonetheless, formatting the SD card, or/and reinstalling Spotify works 99% of the time!

Cheers buddy, Jon

This doesn't happen on Andriod 6, it worked on 5

Rickp

Suggested posts