Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music pauses when screen locks

Music pauses when screen locks

Plan

Premium

Country

UK, although trying to listen in Spain currently

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10+

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Listening to music fine but soon after the screen goes off, in to screen lock mode the music shuts off. I press a button, screen comes up ready to be unlocked (but not unlocked) and music starts immediately.

Have been listening to music continually whilst typing this! As soon as I shut the screen down music goes off.

12 Replies

Hi Leenboy, 

i have the same issue, please can someone look into this, 

Plan - Premium 

Samsung Galaxy S8

Android 9.0 Pie 

Listening UK 

Kind Regards
hlgollop

Same issue here. Wondering if a Samsung update issue

Hi luke, 

It's possible I've noticed recently the button is not working on the widget on the lock screen as well, it might be a Samsung issue overall, hopefully an update will be released to fix this 

Kind Regards
hlgollop

I'm having this issue as well. I've tried restarting my phone and uninstalling the app too.

In addition, any "Spotify playlists" are also only playing the one song I selected and won't continue onto the next song in the playlist. If I try to skip to the next song, it shows that there is no song to play next...

P.S. using a Samsung S10+

Hi!

Having the same problem on my new Samsung A40, just had to download the version v8.4.75.670 and works well.

Hope that they fix this problem for new versions of the app!

and hope that this helps you!

Same issue!

Galaxy s9+

And the lock screen buttons are glitching too. When I pause on the lock screen, it jumps 15 seconds and keeps playing.

Hi MissHollyDawn, 

Exactly the same here it seems to jump every time i pause too not sure what's going on it seems only Samsung has this issue, hopefully, Spotify support will see this and help. 

Kind Regards
hlgollop

I also experienced the same thing recently on Galaxy Note 8 but it's fine now. However, a lot of my downloaded songs suddenly turned gray though they still take up a lot of phone memory.

Dont think it is Samsung, something v similar on my Xiaomi, in the middle of my runs/workouts, so it is really annoying.

A New update has came out for spotify i will test and see if the problem has been resolved.

Kind Regards
hlgollop

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry to see that no one was able to respond to you sooner.

It sounds like the issue you're all describing is related to the 'Doze' feature, which was introduced in Android Marshmallow (V6.0+). This feature optimizes apps and tasks running in the background to help with battery life. This can often cause issues when using Spotify (among other apps). A telltale symptom of this is when the Spotify app stops streaming when your device's screen locks. 

You can prevent the Spotify app from being affected by the Doze feature by following the steps below:

1. Open the Settings app on your phone (Pull down the notifications shade, and tap the gear icon, or find Settings in the App Drawer.)
  2. Tap Apps & notifications.
  3. Scroll down and tap Advanced to expand that section.
  4. Scroll down and tap Special app access.
  5. Tap Battery optimization.
  6. Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select All apps.
  7. Scroll down to Spotify — tap it and select Don't Optimize.

Now Spotify will not be controlled by the Android system's power-saving enabling it to run in the background, and hopefully, resolve this issue.

Let me know how it goes — I'll be here in case you need any further help 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Noah, 

Thankyou for your help on this issue I will give this a try and hopefully it solves the issues I will let you guys know, have a great week 

Kind Regards
hlgollop

Suggested posts