Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music saving to SD card is very slow vs internal memory - Spotify is freezing

Music saving to SD card is very slow vs internal memory - Spotify is freezing

Hi, can somebody help me with this problem - If I  store my offline music in internal memory of my S4 mini (~4GB), it's way faster than on my 64G sd card (samsung class10 xc). When I store offline music on SD card, Spotify is just very slow, almost not working at all, just freezing. +download is very slow. This is really a big problem, as I do not have enough internal memory. I see other people complaining about similar issues, but I haven't found solution yet. Thanks!

19 Replies

Internal flash storage is always going to be much faster but your external card should be able to handle at least 10 Mb/s although this might be limited by the speeds your S4 can handle.

Have you tried reformatting your external SD card using the phone's utility to see if things inprove?

Hi, thanks for the fast answer - I'll try this today and let you know. However Sd Card is working well with other devices and with other apps on S4, so I think it must be something else...hope we can figure this out, because currently with sd card storage Spotify is just useless.

I did the formatting, but nothing improved, any other idea?

Hey there.

I have Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini and it's agreat phone. I have Samsung card of 2 GB installed and it's great for Spotify. I don't use Offline mode because I have Unlimited 21 Mbps 3G Internet and coverage is great at every place - I can stream music with no problems almost everywhere! If you need to store a lot music, I would suggest these:

- Try another card, maybe a one step faster than your currently. The speed of card is in class xx, for example class 4. If you have class 4 card, you may want to try class 10 card which is many times faster. This can do a better and faster Spotify experience.

- Try to find if memory is at end. If you have almost full external card, this can make slow phone. Creepy thing, but you can change for example your 8GB cord to faster 32GB card and problem gone.

Have you tried these? I'm here to help immediately.

I have 64 gb class 10 sd card, 15% used, works great with other equipments and other apps. I'm affraid, storing offline music on external card is the prblem in general - storing tracks on internal memory works perfectly.

I tried 8gb, class 10 card, but same problem exists. No idea...

What version of app? You can find in settings.

Just upgraded to 1.0.0.82 - even worst. I did restart, battery out, log out, log in, etc...
Finally I removed sd card, did a reinstall with internal memory usage, and its perfect.
But i want to use sd card to store music!!! Please help!

Definitely weird, what brand are the SD cards?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Samsung class10 xc

Same exact issue here. Same card...and the Spotify app is crippled when running off the card or saving music.

Strange. I use the older Samsung 64GB SDXC UHS-1 card and have no issues with it at all. It would be interesting to know your device, android and spotify versions.

Samsung microSDXC UHS - I Card. Just bought it.
Note 3 Kitkat 4.4.2.

Hmmm...it is the 64GB card for sure..Strange...plays nice will all other apps. I just out in a 32 PNY card and no issues. Spotify is caching music to the card and no lag in with the app. Bad 64GB card or does it perhaps need to be formatted differently say on my PC?

I think I just replied to another post of yours. Let's keep it in one place so I don't get confused 🙂

I'm getting the same problem.  128GB card class 10, app v 4.2.0.739, Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, spotify working fast when SD card not in the phone 😛  thats sucks though.  So I have to buy a new SD card to make this work ??  seriously ?  everything else works on this SD card 

S7 Edge Toshiba UHS-I U3 128GB same problem

Same here, LG G4 H818P with a SanDisk Ultra micro SD XC 64 GB UHS-I Class 10. Deezer just works fine, so I don't see the issue with the card?

Most cards slow down over time. For Spotify I'd recommend V30 marked class 10 cards, like Samsung Evo Plus.

If you have let's say 1 Gb/s internet at home, you won't be able to download 1 Gb/s fast to ANY of these micro cards. Even normal 150 Mb/s speed won't be used at full speed because of these limitations in cards you buy. Even fastest cards are not fast enough to use all the speed your internet may have to offer. Sometimes other internet usage in household may slowdown a bit your downloading experience. As well it is possible the limit is at Spotify servers or micro sd card is full and apps are slowing down or sd card may need a replace for better one.

Suggested posts