Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops after 10 seconds

Solved!

Music stops after 10 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Oneplus 6

Operating System

Android 10 based Oxygenos (v10.3.0)

Spotify (version 8.5.42.812)

My Question or Issue

Music stops playing after about 10 seconds

Attempted fresh install.

Restarted phone no less than 3 times.

Have tried on cellular and wifi that had no issues before. Unknown version yesterday when it still worked.

Has trouble connecting to Google home mini.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I got a reply from my vpn’s support. They said to disable “cybersec”. I tried it and I’m now enjoying music with an active VPN connection. Hope this helps somebody. 😀

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hey there @Revan829

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Just to double-check, have you already tried a clean reinstall of the app? We recommend this procedure as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify.

This step tends to solve most issues with playback and connectivity towards other devices. 

Also, can you describe what happens when you try connecting to the Google Home Mini? We'd like to take a closer look at this as well. 

Let us know how you get on. We'll look out for your reply!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The clean install did not work, however i did think to disable by VPN for a moment, which has NEVER caused an issue before, and suddenly it worked after hours of trying everything i could think of. Every time i would log in and start it "Something went wrong, lets try that again." would pop up and never go away. even after the fresh installs.

VPN:

NordVPN (v4.5.2+sideload) and i just updated to 4.6.2 (at the time of this writing)

After updating my VPN i opened spotify up again and it appeared to be working. I played my work playlist and after 5 seconds the song stopped. I disabled my VPN again and the moment i opened spotify it started up again. I have been using my VPN for many months and it just started acting up on 01/27/2020.

The Google Home mini goes through an indefinite "connecting period" and when it does connect it is usually only for a song or two before it spontaneously disconnects (lesser issue at the moment, but annoying when i am cooking)

I think I’m having the same issue. Just started for me today. Disabling my VPN got Spotify going. I also have used Spotify and a VPN together successfully for many months on iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Windows laptop. I’ll have to double check that my apps are updated. I do not use a VPN to enable Spotify but for security! Spotify has been available in Canada where I live for a long time without VPN. I hope for a solution. I’m aware of several other Spotify users on another forum who all had to turn off their VPNs. 

I'm having the same issue also. When im listening to music in the gym or car the song will always stop after 9 seconds. I dont understand why this is happening because it never happened before nor do i use VPN

I guess my issue may be different than that of the original poster and yours. Mine also played for only several seconds each time I tried. Later it wouldn’t play at all?! I hope we all have success.

yea, my music would stop at exactly 9 seconds and not play at all. if i skip songs same things happens after 9 seconds. Sometimes if this isnt happening songpodcasts would skip a beat for no reason
Marked as solution

I got a reply from my vpn’s support. They said to disable “cybersec”. I tried it and I’m now enjoying music with an active VPN connection. Hope this helps somebody. 😀

Can someone tell me what cybersec is or where it is, I have Nord VPN and I am having the 10 second problem and or now cannot log in, "error code 30 firewall proxy" bullcrap nonsense and Spotify support is not helping much. Cannot believ they don't have phone support!!!!!!!!!!  Dave

So I tried VPN Nord support live chat and Yesssssssss!!  Turned off cybersec and even intalled new updated version and presto; no problems logging in and so far all new and old music is playing fine!  Thanks for posting this!!!!!!!!!!  Dave

Hi 

I'm a premium user and I have the same problem. Also when I have la list downloaded. I reinstalled the app and now I don't know how can I do. If I continued with this problem I thing the I get to insuscribe of the service.

Please I any have the solution let me know

I have been having the same issue - even with downloaded music and choose offline option. 

Android 9 Galaxy S8 - All up to date.

Spotify All up to date. 

Tried clearing cache - no change

Wondered if was bluetooth - but cant be as other apps work fine with my Btooth headphones.

I really cannot see how uninstall and re-install can be seen as a practical solution. I travel a lot and use a lot of downloaded music. If I do this I will lose all downloads and while travelling and working in Less Developed Places in the world data and internet is expensive when you get it. 

Even if this was not the case, surely uninstall and reinstall cannot be considered real solution to the issue. 

There are threads on this problem going back many years....

I have S8+ also and this use to never happen to me. It's only been recent past 7-8 months. Sometimes it stops after the first 9 seconds of the song and now from time to time the music/podcasts stop for a second or 2 then continues.
Not sure why it's happening now...stuff like this shouldn't happen if you're a streaming service. What's the point of paying for a service that doesn't work smoothly.

1. Just clear cache on some apps. Play store was 1.2 gb on my phone.
  2. Go into app settings and storage and then clear cache. I also set up google home again but probably did not need to.

this happens to me all the time, when it does I have to login to the Spotify website and tell it to log me off everywhere, every device.  I use Spotify on my phone, computer, tv and I think Spotify gets confused.  its annoying to have to do this when it happens but there we have it.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread. We're happy to help.

A clean reinstall of the app is good so that you can make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - can you try log in with a friend's or a family member's account to see if the issue persists?

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out.

We're happy to hear that @Quinnat's solution did the trick for some of you. Please keep in mind however that Spotify doesn't officially support VPN and because of this, issues with it's use are expected behavior.

We also see some of you report issues that differ slightly from that in the original post. In order to keep those separate and help you overcome them more effectively, we invite you to start a new thread in our relevant Help boards. We'll also go ahead and block new replies for this one. 

Cheers!

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts