Music stops playing after 10 seconds when casting to Google Mini speaker

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(iPhone 😎

My Question or Issue

I have premium account and was using my Iphone to cast music to Google mini speaker. Recently, when I try to cast song to the speaker, it randomly chooses different song and plays it for exactly 10 seconds and then stops but I can see song  still playing on the phone. The same happneds when I just request song via speaker which is linked to Spoity account.

I reinstalled appl several times and restarted phone as well as re-linked Spotify in Google home multiple times. I coundn't find any solution to the problem so far in any similar topics.

Can you please help, as premium account became useless for me due to this issue? 

39 Replies

Hey there @dfluff

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried any troubleshooting steps? This will help us give you better suggestions. 

In case you haven't, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app as this could be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Novy,

I tried re-installing, cleaning the cache, etc. on my Android device about a year ago which made no difference.  I also believe that I un-linked my Spotify account from my Google Home account and re-linked it which also didn't make any change to the problem.  The issue is that it doesn't work via voice-command direct to my Google Home Mini, which is something I can't un-install Spotify from, if that makes any sense, and it also doesn't work if I Chromecast to Google Home from either of my Android devices or mine or my partner's multiple iOS devices.

Hi @dfluff,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

You can try the following:

• Do a factory reset of your Home Mini speaker. After this you'll need to set up everything anew.
  • Do a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your devices, following exactly the steps from this Guide.
  • Reinstall google Home and Google Assistant make sure you clear all app cache and data.
  • Try connecting your phone and speaker to a different network such as mobile hotspot to check whether the issue is network related.

Let us know how you get on with this.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

With respect, I already tried all of these steps a year ago, they made no difference, and it was a real pain setting up my Google Home devices from scratch again, since I have many IOT devices and other third party services integrated.

If you are confident that me going through the identical process again will, this time, give a different outcome then I shall set some time aside for it this weekend, but as I say, last time all this disruption made no difference.

Hey @dfluff

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

We understand that you performed a clean reinstall on your devices a year ago, but keep in mind that it's very important that you have the latest version installed on your devices to ensure optimal performance. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

On another note, make sure to try with a different network such as mobile hotspot to check whether the issue is network related as @Alex mentioned previously.

Additionally, we suggest that you check if the firmware of your speaker is up to date. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello,

I have the same/similar problem: while casting to Chromecast devices, the music pauses and skips randomly. The timeline keeps running, and Google home is still thinking it's playing music (I asked for the Songs name, skip, pause etc) but you can see in the attached screenshot the timeline is wrong - 37:57 min for a 1:58 track???

Screenshot_20210503-210128.png

I'm sure it's not my (devices) fault. Some facts:

-2 phones, 1 tablet (all Android) voice comand (3 Accounts in premium family) 

-2 Google home, 1 Google home mini, cambridge audio yoyo l both Google cast & Spotify Connect, Google chromecast audio and LG WK7 all the same problems

-Full new install of Spotify

-Router reboot

-rebooted the speaker, some of them even factory reset 

-other audio streaming (YouTube music, TuneIn,) works well

-bluetooth and headphones/works well

Is it possible to reset my account by customer Service? 

Thanks 

Hi @Aeniki

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, have you tried reinstalling the app following these specific steps? This process is more thorough than the usual one. 

Additionally, could you let us know if this is only happening when you're using the Connect feature or when you're streaming directly on your phone as well?

Lastly, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your phone would come in handy.

If you need further assistance from our Support team, you can reach out to them through any of these channels.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello Again,

Just to confirm, have you tried reinstalling the app following these specific steps? This process is more thorough than the usual one. 

-Done (on one Device, still problems)

Additionally, could you let us know if this is only happening when you're using the Connect feature or when you're streaming directly on your phone as well?

- Spotify Connect didn't work well since I've bought the speaker last summer so I used Google Cast. All playback on the Tablet, Smartphone and Desktop PC works fine!

Devices:

Motorola One Vision (Android 10)

Motorola G8+ (Android 10)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Android 11)

Windows 10 Desktop PC

I updated the Spotify App to 8.6.24.918 lately Yesterday, I tried to cast one Song, it works (This is more than the weeks before 😐) I'll try again later today and let you know!

Thanks & Greets

Hi @Aeniki

Thanks for sending us this info. 

Could you also try with a different internet connection to check if that makes any difference? You can create a hotspot on your phone and using that. This would help us to check if the issue is network-related. 

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator

Hi Moderators,

I have tried the full delete-data, delete-cache, uninstall, turn device off, wait, turn device on, re-install, re-log in process on a couple of my devices now with no change.

I am seeing this problem on the following devices:

1) OnePlus 6T (A6013) running OxygenOS 10.3.9 build A6013_41_210303, and Spotify for Android version 8.6.24.918

2) Huawei MediaPad M5 SHT-W09 running Android v9 build 9.1.0.345(C432E4R1P2), and Spotify version 8.6.24.918.

3) iPhone SE running iOS 14.4.2 and Spotify v8.2.24.1302.

4) ...my partner's iPhone and iPad, which I don't have access to at the moment, but they are both very recent models and will definitely be running the latest version of iOS and, I presume, the latest versions of the iOS Spotify app too. These are using a different profile under the same Family account, and exhibit the same behaviour.

..the most important bit of information is probably the Google Home Mini which shows the problem:

4) Google Home Mini - System firmware v250118, Cast firmware v1.54.250118 "Preview Programme: Off".

5) A second Google Home Mini with identical firmware, which has previously shown the same problem but appears to be working when testing it this morning.

To clarify, when streaming on the mobile devices, everything works. AS SOON as that device uses "Connect" to connect to the affected Google Home Mini devices (which uses "GoogleCast"), the mobile devices immediately skip away from the track that was playing, skip through 3 or 4 other tracks before landing on one, the Google Home plays exactly 8 seconds of that track and then goes mute (although the mobile device still shows the time ticking up). This is the behaviour that can be seen in the two videos that I've posted via Dropbox above, but which I'll paste again below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/515v8mm95h464ov/IMG_0503.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29jkk7mbzilgq5c/IMG_0504.MOV?dl=0

Connecting to the Google Home via Bluetooth instead allows the correct playback of the music. However, Bluetooth is not always suitable as I cannot walk away from the speaker, so I would rather use Connect/Google Cast.

If I put the affected Google Home Mini devices in to a Google Cast Group and then use Connect/Google Cast to connect to that GROUP, playback works. However, this is not a workable solution as I often do not want to have the music playing in multiple rooms.

If I use Connect/Google Cast to connect Spotify to the Chromecast device plugged in to my TV, playback works fine on that device.

The network connection to the affected Google Home Mini devices is fine - I can send other application audio to them via Google Cast without any probelms - e.g. TuneIn radio, BBC Sounds, Global Radio Player, etc.

If I ask for a song to play using voice-commands to the affected Google Home Mini devices, the behaviour is the same - nothing happens for a few seconds, and then a completely different track plays for 8 seconds and then stops. If I have open on my phone at the same time as I make the voice-request I can see that it's actually doing the same "picking the correct track I asked for, then randomly skipping through 3-4 other tracks before playing 8 seconds of a different track, and then muting but leaving the time duration advancing" behaviour as I see when I use Connect to cast from a mobile device.

I have tried disassociating the Google Home Mini devices from my account and re-setting them up, and I have tried factory resetting them. I tried this a year ago and the result was the same. I haven't tried it again recently because it is a lot of time and effort to set them up again.

I'm not sure that I can easily move the Google Home Mini devices to use a mobile hot-spot to test a different network. I have tried using a different WiFi access point, very close to the Google Home Mini, and that made no difference. My home internet connection is very healthy, regularly getting over 70Mb/s down and 16-18Mb/s up.

Since one of my two Google Home Mini's has seemingly started working recently, I've just tried another test: I asked for a song "on Spotify" using voice commands. This worked on this speaker - it played the correct song and continued to play. I then used the voice command "Move the music to <name of other speaker>". This stopped playing on the working speaker and from the other room I heard, after a delay, the wrong tune starting to play and then muting after 8 seconds.

Hey @dfluff

Thanks for describing the steps you've tried. 

We understand that it takes time and efforts to set your devices up again after a factory reset, but if you tried this a year ago for the last time we recommend trying these steps again now as the time past would make a difference. Users in this Google Nest Help thread reported that the factory reset solved the issue for them.  

Another step we can suggest is checking if you can skip to the next song when accessing the Google Home app. Give it a try and let us know the outcome.  

Keep us in the loop here. 

Good news!  After a couple of attempts at factory resetting (..it wasn't at all happy the first time!) Spotify is now working on the affected Google Home Mini's, both with voice-commands and with Connect/Google-Cast from mobile devices.  It's odd that the factory resets I tried a year ago made no difference, but very glad it did this time!

...now I just need this issue fixed (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-Auto-quot-Spotify-doesn-t-seem-to-be-working...) ...and I'll be happy.

Hey @dfluff,

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear that the factory reset helped.

Regarding the Ongoing Issue - we'd recommend you submit your details in the thread as this will help the team investigating the issue. Hopefully it will be soon fixed. 

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Hello again,

After updating the spotify App I have (almost) no problems any more. The Cambridge Audio speaker is not working right, but the other 4 make no problems. I'll try to factory reset the Cambridge and hope it'll work.

Best wishes and fast solutions to the others with the same problems.

Bye Timm

How do you get Spotify to delete the cache from their side?

I’ve cleared my cache, restarted my phone and google home, tried everything. i’m still having this problem and i can’t play music. 

Hy,

In my case I tried everything, reinstall spotify, started everything New, clear the Cache... At least nothing helped. A new Update from Spotify arrived and it works.

Unfortunately Spotify doesn't tell us whats new in the Update. And last but not least: another Update can start the game again 😞

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts.

@Gepwillson, you can reach out directly to our customer support team here. Ask them to clear the corrupted cache on your devices. After verification they'll be able to help further.

@estellanolan, Can you try resetting your speaker to factory settings and see if that helps?

@Aeniki, glad to hear that it works fine after the last update. Spotify develops over time, and like all other apps new features and fixes can only be introduced via regular updates. Sometimes certain things get broken, but the developer teams do their best to find a fix as soon as possible.

Keep us posted folks.

AlexModerator

I have this exact problem too. I have replicated it as follows:

• Different Android devices
  • Different iOS devices
  • Different Windows devices
  • Different Chromebook devices
  • And on my Mac running MacOS version of Spotify

For the above I have tried:

• My premium account
  • A brand new free account
  • The account and spotify installation of a guest in my house (joined them to my LAN)

I have hard wiped the spotify app and all data from devices in these trials. The only thing that remains that is consistent across all my tests:

• It is the same LAN/WAN infrastructure - TPLINK Deco hooked to my local fiber service
  • It is the same target devices - 3 different Android Audio devices and 2 different Google Home MAX speakers.

It was working just fine for months and months. This suddenly started apropos of nothing that can be identified by me. Also there is no problem with all those spotify scenarios when playing via bluetooth or to the device the spotify is installed on. It is only when using spotify connect. There is also no problem if I play on the local phone and mirror my device screen and audio to a miracast device, and crucially, if I use Google HOME app to cast my device audio to any chromecast audio device.

Either: Spotify is broken when a narrow set of conditions arises (that I cannot identify) or Google is somehow not working with Spotify connnect specifically. 100% of chromecasting functionality in all other apps on my devices works, including YouTube Music, for which I am now in a 4 month free trial of premium. The clock is ticking Spotify .....

Hello all,

I am currently experiencing the same issue. I have tried all the steps mentioned (clear cache, delete the app and reinstall it).

Are there any updates on how to fix this?

Suggested posts