Country

Germany 

Device

SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 mini

Operating System

Android 4.4.4

My Question or Issue

Hi,

Since recently (I noticed it yesterday), my Spotify on my mobile phone has been having a very strange problem: every time I enter or leave a WiFi connection my Spotify stops playing. Does someone have a hint of what the cause or causes can be? I appreciate any help. 

Ps: I am aware I have a shitty phone, but it was working fine until very recently...

11 Replies

Same here, Samsung Galaxy S4, Spotify starting crashing 2-3 weeks ago every time I enter a wifi zone. No problem with any other apps. I haven't found a fix yet. See these too:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-App-crashes-when-it-connects-disconnects-from-Inter...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Constant-crashing-during-playback/m-p/4786988#M153569

Hi, 

Thanks for the response. Actually, in my case, spotify doesn`t crash when I enter or leave a connection. It just stops playing without exiting the app. 

For me what happens is the playback resets to the beginning of whatever song I was listening to and I have to manually restart it playing.

The app tends to reboot itself, but it goes through the whole "blank screen with spotify logo" thing before I can get it going again.

Is that kinda like what you see?

Hey there @Neoakritis and @RomanesEuntDom

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

We'd first recommend trying a clean reinstallation of the app on your devices following the steps provided in this Spotify Answer

We'd also suggest making sure that Spotify is set as an exception for any cache clearing or battery optimization apps.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you still need help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Dear Katerina,

I reinstalled Spotify according to the instructions, but the problems continues: Spotify stops playing (without crashing) if my phone connects to a Wify.

Hi Katerina,

I tried this again just now and the problem is still persisting I'm afraid. There's no improvement that I can see. It's also already an exception to my power-saving settings.

I have the same problem. I hoped it will be corrected by updates, but the last update changed just the thing that it remembers the time of song play when it crashed. 

I have the problem with cellular data, not wifi, but it looks exactly the same. No reason, just crushing everytime the phone connects to the internet.

Yup. We have nation wide WiFi and when we are on train, the WiFi may connect and disconnect as we are on the move.
Very disruptive to have the music to stop while we are on the move. It is that bad.
Could it be stack overflow when wifi is repeatedly connected and disconnected?

The only solution I found was to turn wifi off then on even on data. It resume the curent playing song. Naturally, the reinstalling procedure didn't solve anything.

Same issue, can reproduce this with both HTC One A9s and Samsung Galaxy M51, regardless of connection to headphones or speakers (both bluetooth and cable). Music stops playing, yet Spotify displays music as continuously playing with the time bar moving normally. Had mutliple clean installs since and wiped Cache more times than I care to admit on both devices (for different reasons, the app rarely ever works as advertised).

Proposed solution by Katherina produced no results or different behaviour of the app.

Edit: spelling

Hey @milanstaf,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

Can you check if the same thing happens when you log into another account? That way we can see if it's an account-related issue. It's also a good idea to restart the router and to try again.

If you're using an SD card, you can remove the SD card, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Are there any changes?

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts