Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops playing

Music stops playing

Sometimes I'm listening to a playlist, and all of a sudden, next song would stop.
Why is this happening?Anything I can do?
I've got a Xiaomi Redmi Pro and Spotify version 8.4.0.539armV7
3 Replies

Try restarting the device you are using, or refreshing the app/browser. Hope this works! If  this doesn't work and/or need anymore help send a forum to Spotify Customer Service.

Hey @_luromero_!

I'll ask you a few things:

1. Does this happen when the screen is off or the Spotify app is in the background?
  2. Have you verified you didn't get to the end of the playlist and it stopped because it wasn't on repeat? (This one is an actual frequent issue)
  3. Do you play Offline music? Or do you stream it? Do you have a stable connection?
  4. What Android OS version do you have?

I'll make a few IF solutions: 

1. IF you have Android Nougat: 

Android Nougat has brought about enhanced power saving, making the Doze feature first seen in Android Marshmallow even better... However this can have adverse affects; especially if using apps with the screen off or in the background such as Spotify.

You can customise which apps are affected by this doze feature by following the steps below:

1. Open the Settings app on your phone (Pull down the notifications shade, and tap the gear in the upper right corner, or find โ€œSettingsโ€ in the App Drawer.)
    2. Tap Battery.
    3. Tap the menu button and choose โ€œBattery optimization.โ€
    4. Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select โ€œAll apps.โ€
    5. Scroll down to Spotify - tap it and select "Don't Optimize"

Now Spotify will not be controlled by the Android system's power saving enabling it to run in the background.

2. IF it was just the repeat, then that should get it done.
  3. IF it's music streaming, please check you have a stable connection! If you are using mobile data and having connectivity issues check this: 

This seems to be related to the use of ipv6 over ipv4. If you can, edit your mobile APN in Android Settings - Mobile Data - Access Points and change the protocol to ipv4/ipv6 (you may have to manually create a new APN and delete the existing one, details below). There is an idea for adding support to ipv6 to the Spotify app here.

If you need to create a new APN please find the details from your network provider, once obtained expand the below to create it in your device:

1. From any Home screen, tap Apps.
    2. Tap Settings.
    3. Tap Mobile data.
    4. Touch Access Point Names.
    5. If available, tap the existing APN (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the Menu key, and then tap New APN
    6. Enter/Update the APN settings as provided by your Network Provider
    7. Tap the Menu key.
    8. Tap Save.
    9. Tap the APN profile you just created.
    10. The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

4. IF none of the above did anything, please consider a clean install

Clean install & getting the cache onto SD Card

This is the core step in any troubleshooting and will help resolve the majority of issues relating to offline cache, random crashes or degraded sound quality.

To obtain a clean install please follow the below process:

NOTE: You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this!

1. Uninstall the app from your device by going to 'Settings' -> 'Apps' then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it. Once loaded press 'Uninstall'.
    2. Using a file manager make sure any of the below folders are deleted if they still exist: 

• /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
    • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
    • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
    • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

In some devices it appears the folder on the ext_sd (SD card) are not able to be removed and appear to be locked by the system (Android 4.4.2+) . In this case make sure to use the stock built-in file manager as it has additional permissions. If you have no stock file manager or still cannot remove the folders you will need to backup the contents of your SD card and then format it either in the phone or on a PC (make sure to uncheck 'Quick Format') in order to remove these folders.

3. Reboot your device

4. Using a web browser navigate to the 'Offline Devices' section of the Spotify account page and then click on the 'Remove all devices' button.

5. Once all the above steps are complete install the Spotify app again from the Google Play Store.

All credit goes to @Daniel for his awesome guide on Android troubleshooting.

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know!

Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

There might be a problem with internet signals.

Suggested posts