New Android app preview - save to external SD card?

Solved!
19 people liked this

New Android app preview - save to external SD card?

melabonbon
Music Fan

I'm trying out the new version, but can't figure out how to get it to save my playlists to my external SD card.  I tried doing it the way it's done with the previous version, but that doesn't seem to do it. 

10 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution! 14 people liked this

Re: New Android app preview - save to external SD card?

jackjamison
Roadie

Ohhh, I'm pissed about this. My phone (running the old version of Spot) just broke, so I got the new version on my new phone today, and am doubly screwed - I've got 14 gigs of playlists already on my EXT-SD card I can't use. I cannot find the pre-5.0 version of the Spotify app anywhere - please post it if you know where it is!  

Thousands of us left Rhapsody over this very issue (which they still haven't fixed) and now Spotify screws it up too??? This SUCKS.

Suposedly it's due to google wanting to do away with external cards so they can charge us more for storage like Apple does... 

Solution! 8 people liked this

Kvold
Casual Listener

Hi!

Afront is right! The storage location is remembered when updating to the last version.

I have uploaded a video to youtube showing the workaround for this case.

I also noticed that when formatting the SD card the folder path for the External SD Card gets lost. So then you have to do the steps again!

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQ1HVYVzLw&list=UUaGwtRsRnn2bZPsnlKQfZWg&index=3&feature=plcp

Solution! 9 people liked this

ZoneHalo
Gig Goer
I am quitting by the end of the month. I am going back to RDIO. they've made big strides. I was actually going to buy Spotify for Christmas for two people. The fact that they don't get on these threads and acknowledge customer frustration, that they made a mistake or give a timeline is unacceptable. They're not on here saying, "hey guys we deeply appreciate you business and your loyalty, fixing this is our top priority and we will have it in our next update...hopefully within 30 days." Nope. Silence. Misdirection. Discussion of old versions. Poor poor customer service. Sad really.
Solution! 3 people liked this

money4me247
Gig Goer

hey guys,

i have found a work-around that does NOT require root in these threads, but since there is 29pgs to dig through, I will write out how I did it here. I have a Droid 4 on ICS (unrooted), so all instructions are for an ice cream sandwich (version of Android lol) phone, but I'm sure gingerbreak (older version) & jelly bean (newer version) people can figure it out too.

1.) Figure out what the file path to your external SD card is on your phone!!! This is different for different phones

You can do this by going to the app "My Files" >>> click SD card >>> long press any file >>> press Info

For my Droid 4, it was "/mnt/sdcard-ext."

2.) clear cache & clear data & force stop Spotify (Home Screen >>> Menu Button >>> Manage Apps >>> find spotify)

3.) Uninstall spotify

4.) Go to Settings >>> security >>> enable the "Unknown Sources: Allow installation of non-Market apps"

5.) Reinstall the older version of spotify that allows you to choose where to save your music

Note: I have a dropbox link to it below

6.) Open Spotify: do NOT log in... stay on the the main screen >>> hit menu button >>> select the SD location option

7.) Type out the file path for your external SD card. You may want to create a Spotify folder for your files. I did this, but it doesn't make a difference.

8.) IMPORTANT: double check to see if it worked

8a.) Go to Setting >>> Storage >>> look at the available space for your both your internal & external storage space. Write these numbers down.

8b.) Log into Spotify & download some playlists.

Note: You may want to create a large throwaway playlist for this purpose, as the newer Spotify version allows you to download playlists in better quality, so you may want to download your legit playlists at the very end

8c.) Go back to Setting >>> Storage >>> check to see if the number changed for your internal or external storage. if it changed for your external storage, it worked!! :)

9.) Go to the Google Play store & update to the newest version of spotify!

I did this probably at least 2 months ago, and I haven't had any issues with at all. The biggest problem was finding a reliable old version of Spotify. I added the old version of spotify that worked for me to my dropbox account, but this is the first time I tried sharing something to the general public, so please reply it doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qqcdf9dujcrx40/SpotifyAndroid.apk

If you do not understand my instructions, other people have posted the same solution. Here is a link that looks very promising: http://www.julian-young.com/2011/04/21/finding-the-spotify-external-sd-location/

Solution! 3 people liked this

Charlyz
Casual Listener

The "install the old app" workaround works for me... except that the application keeps logging off, and each time my playlists keep desynchronizing.

There is a solution for this second problem on the FAQ: "uninstall, wipe cache, reinstall latest version from play store".

So you have to chose:

• either you want the space, but it gets de-synched randomly and each time you want music, you can't have,
  • or you keep synchronized, with reduced space, and forced to synchronize low quality music.

I chosed third option: get off the train, find another alternative with better functionalities.

Solution! 1 person liked this

SteveBrammer
Community Legend

I already tried to shame them with this idea http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-accepted-ideas-in-less-than-6-12-months/idi-... it's currently got 143 kudos points (which is over the threshhold for being taken up in internal design meetings) but it doesn't seem to have had much effect. No one in development is willing to say anything and the poor folks here in support can't defend what development are doing and so everyone stays quiet.

Solution! 6 people liked this

bdholmes
Roadie

An audio bug fix, an updated terms conditions...and hold the applause....a...link...to...a....web page...that provides a privacy statement...what the FUDGE have your developers been doing since the last release?!  What was that October?!  Again a LINK to a webpage that provides a privacy statement is your only new functionality added in the last quarter?!...wow slow down over-acheivers!!!

Solution! 2 people liked this

piphil
Music Fan

I've moved to rdio due to the "background data" issues and the lack of SD card support. Funnily enough rdio's app (although being somewhat buggy) does allow you to set your cache location, in pretty much exactly the same way as Spotify used to allow you to do...

Solution! 5 people liked this

Richard
Roadie

I'm very happy to be bringing you guys some good news - though I do appear to have been beaten to it already.

Our new Android app, v0.5.12, will store your data in the most efficient location on your phone/device. So go grab it from Google Play now.

To get this to work the first time you may just have to use the new 'delete cache' option in the settings and relaunch the app.

We're discussing this particular release over here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Android-0-5-12-52/td-p/353438... 

So please let us know how you get on with this feature.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
Solution! 1 person liked this

WHALENINJA
Regular

THANK THE LORDD!!! THE NEW UPDATE FOR SPOTIFY IS ACTUALLY LETTING US SAVE TO OUR MEMORY CARD!!! :D FINALLY.

731 Replies
1 person liked this

licenced
Community Legend

Yep, it's an issue. Old app used to offer you the option on the log in screen. New app doesn't (as yet). It's only in beta though so suggestion is to revert to the app from Play and check out the next release (hopefully soon)

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
4 people liked this

Afront
Community Legend

Here's my tip: To set the storage location, first set it using the regular (non-preview) version of the app (to do this, select the option from the Menu when at the login screen). Then instal the new preview WITHOUT removing the previous version or clearing any data etc. The preview replaces the old version but seems to retain its setting for where to cache files. So if you had set this to an external SD card, it will continue to use that location.

1 person liked this

melabonbon
Music Fan

Alright, I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Though it looks like this new version is still giving me the offline problem I had with the old version on my wifi device, so my playlists don't finish downloading in the first place, so I guess this is sort of a moot point. 

user-removed
Not applicable

how would one keep both new and old version?

6 people liked this

Defect0
Casual Listener

Now when the new version is live it isn't possible to install the old app and change this setting.

Is there a new fix? Or will they release a new version with this feature implemented again? Why did they remove it in the first place? Really annoying.

28 people liked this

ibjornuk

I agree, it is one of the main reasons to get an android phone: external sd cards. My internal memory is always full and I'd like to fill up my 32gb sd card with my spotify music. Please implement this feature asap! 
I had the old version set to cache on external, updated via official google play release, but the app didnt start. It crashed every time I opened it, so I had to delete and reinstal spotify in order for it to work.

Can you please implement this feature asap?

Solution! 14 people liked this

jackjamison
Roadie

Ohhh, I'm pissed about this. My phone (running the old version of Spot) just broke, so I got the new version on my new phone today, and am doubly screwed - I've got 14 gigs of playlists already on my EXT-SD card I can't use. I cannot find the pre-5.0 version of the Spotify app anywhere - please post it if you know where it is!  

Thousands of us left Rhapsody over this very issue (which they still haven't fixed) and now Spotify screws it up too??? This SUCKS.

Suposedly it's due to google wanting to do away with external cards so they can charge us more for storage like Apple does... 

6 people liked this

jdrews

I just ran into this problem on version 0.5.0. Please add the ability to store music on the external sd card back into the app. 

I tried to move the app to my external_sd, but it won't move. I think it's some sort of permissions issue. Anyone  successfully moved/installed the whole spotify app to the external sd card?  

6 people liked this

jackjamison
Roadie

SO... DLing THIS  older old app works.

You delete your current app, DL this one, then follow the old Spotify instructions. Once the file path is correct, you can update using google play, and it seems to stick.

I still say they meant to screw this up on google's orders, but we'll see if they fix it themselves...

SUGGESTED POSTS