Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New 'Liked songs' playlist has added every song I've saved!

Solved!

New 'Liked songs' playlist has added every song I've saved!

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Moto G5s

Operating System

Android Oreo

The new update arrived a day or so ago and while I was pleased to see the 'Liked Songs' playlist - at last! - I was surprised that there were already almost 8,000 songs in it!

It didn't take long for me to figure out that the playlist had added every track of every album I'd ever saved as a 'liked song'.

One of the things I love about Spotify is the ability to save an album that looks interesting, listen to it and then add any songs I like to a playlist. I usually end up just leaving the album in the 'saved' list.

Just because I save (or download) an album doesn't mean I like every track on it!

Surely the playlist should apply ONLY to songs that a user has 'liked', not every single track or album they've saved out of curiosity...

I thought I'd go into the liked songs playlist on my laptop and see if I could do some bulk editing. Nope - I can't even find it in the PC desktop version.

And there's no way I am going to spend all day going through the Liked Songs playlist to manually delete all the tracks I've not actually 'liked'.

I'd be happy to delete all the songs in it and start again, but I can't even do that.

So for now I've got a massive but completely useless playlist sitting there. 

Is there anything that can be done?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was able to delete about 8,000 "liked songs" in about 4 minutes by going to the Liked Songs playlist, sorting by Artist (click the Artist header), then click the first song at the top of the list to select it, scroll down about 500 songs, shift+click a song, thereby selecting all songs between the first and 500th, right click on one of the selected songs, choose "Remove from your Liked Songs."  In about 5 seconds, the selected 500 songs are gone from your Liked Songs playlist, but still intact in your Albums.  Go to the top of the list and repeat until all have been removed.

I had tried to just use the File-->Select All, then right clicking on one of the selected songs, but it wouldn't work.  The above 500 number is approximate.  You might be able to select many more as long as you select them using the shift+click method instead of the Select All method.

Now I will go back and re-listen to all my saved albums and manually re-add all the songs I truly like--should only take a few years....what a great new feature....

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Sadly, there does not appear to be a work around to your issue. There has been little communication from Spotify but everything I have seen suggests these changes are here to stay.

Every single song from every album I have appeared in the "Liked Songs" section

How come so few complaints about this annoying issue? Any solution yet? Seems songs from the albums newly saved don't appear under Liked Songs, but all songs from the albums saved at the time this feature was rolled out are now under Liked Songs and there is no bulk delete.

Not only have all saved songs been dumped in this one list, it's no longer possible to browse through saved albums, sorted by artist.

Absolute idiocy on Spotify's part, can't quite believe this ever made it to production

What's happening:

From what I can see, if a song is in an album, and you liked the song, then the entire album was set to Liked.

How to fix:
1. Open app

2. Navigate to Library > Artists

3. Go into an Artist

4. Click the Vertical ellipsis next to the album

5. Tap Liked All Songs

6. Repeat for each Artist

Unfortunatley I couldn't find a faster way, but this removed all the junk from Likes while retaining my Library.

I cannot believe what was happening here. Due to this I lost access to my favorite songs collected in multiple years. 

I am incredibly sad.

The suggestion by user @Placehold does not seem to work and would mean days of work for me to go through each individual artist.

EVERY single album that I added to my library is now in my liked songs playlist. There is no way I can ever remove all of them from there manually and no way I can find out which of these I actually liked.

This is the worst case that could happen to me on a music platform: I lost all my favroite tracks. 😞

How can you make such a change???

Is there another topic where people are speaking about this? Are other people not concerned by this? This is the absolute worst thing that could have happened. Why are there not more people complaining?

Thinking of going back to MP3 and starting from scratch. 😞

Marked as solution

I was able to delete about 8,000 "liked songs" in about 4 minutes by going to the Liked Songs playlist, sorting by Artist (click the Artist header), then click the first song at the top of the list to select it, scroll down about 500 songs, shift+click a song, thereby selecting all songs between the first and 500th, right click on one of the selected songs, choose "Remove from your Liked Songs."  In about 5 seconds, the selected 500 songs are gone from your Liked Songs playlist, but still intact in your Albums.  Go to the top of the list and repeat until all have been removed.

I had tried to just use the File-->Select All, then right clicking on one of the selected songs, but it wouldn't work.  The above 500 number is approximate.  You might be able to select many more as long as you select them using the shift+click method instead of the Select All method.

Now I will go back and re-listen to all my saved albums and manually re-add all the songs I truly like--should only take a few years....what a great new feature....

That's about the best solution I've seen - a shame you can't highlight more than a few hundred songs at a time, but still...

Thanks for the reply! I only hope Spotify come up with a better solution for management at some point.

I could use Ctrl-A to select all. Then right click and choose remove.

The more I learn about this app the less I like it. Completely illogical "features" like this one - coupled with the inability to sort artists alphabetically. Why would I continue paying $10 a month for this nonsense? I've been looking at the other services out there, time to make a change.

It's limited to 100. I'm a dissatisfied customer.

Suggested posts