Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Music Won't Stay Downloaded?

Solved!

New Music Won't Stay Downloaded?

I have spotify premium and recently set "downloaded/set offline" two new albums and for some reason they won't stay downloaded. I download the album, but then they become steamable again. Sometimes I have to connect to 4G or wifi before they become available again. For the rest of my downloaded playlists, they stay downloaded. The two album are frank ocean's, channel orange, and nas', life is good.

Edit by Per Bonomi (2012-12-06):

Please provide more info as described here.

169 Replies

I just took an app update, filled with enthusiasm that the developers had thrown in a fix, or accidentally fixed this. But Nope. Problem is still there.

The problem that Spotify will face if they don't fix this quickly is bad publicity, the forums are evidence enough that this is an issue THEY ARE AWARE OF. It would be a sensible choice of theirs to fix it quickly.

@KGaj wrote:

This is just becoming ridiculous. Spotify, you've lost a customer.

Can anyone suggest any other music platforms similar to spotify that are available on mobile and pc?

This, along with others, was one of the reasons that I just canceled my Spotify account that I've had for over a year.  I have since switched to Rdio which has a significantly better Android app, a better user interface, and a much better workflow.  You should try it for a week and see if it is better for you than Spotify.  They have a very comparable amount of music (Rdio has some things that Spotify doesn't and vice versa), but the Rdio mobile and desktop apps are much better.  If Spotify fixes this bug, along with the other numerous bugs with their Android app, I might consider switching back. Until then, Rdio is my new source of music (along with Pandora).  I will say, though, that Rdio is a big improvement in just about every aspect.  I am very happy with my decision to switch.

Sorry this is a thread about spotify issue, not a commercial for any other service audax...

@CCarvounas wrote:

Sorry this is a thread about spotify issue, not a commercial for any other service audax...

I understand that.  I was replying to KGaj's post earlier. I thought by replying that it would show what I was replying to.  I've updated it now so it has it the quote.

Appreciated.

Regards Audax.

Christophe

Is it just for me or has this issue been fixed with the latest version?

Who cares? They didn't answer us when we raised this issue. I think the majority of us have now switched to the competition anyway. I have, and it'll take a lot more than a late fix for me to come back. Much better UI on the one I am now using anyway.

Well, *possibly*, I opened the app and after giving in and not bothering to download the two playlists that were "faulty" for a few days, they were on the device and listed as downloaded.  As I said, too early to say, but it may have been sorted!  Only time will tell

It seems to be only half fixed. So far my offline playlists seem to stay downloaded since some days.

BUT: If I start Spotify after a reboot or after a forced close, I still have only half my playlists shown (online or offline playlists). If I go online it synchronizes and the rest of the playlists are downloaded and available. This stupid mechanic is using a lot of bandwidth for nothing and it limits the app as I am missing a lot of playlists it when the phone is in offline mode (holidays). It also takes some time to synchronize over slow connections.

Why the hell are the playlists not saved locally? Why the hell don't they fix this???

Same problem here. Music randomly becomes un-synced about 50% of the time. Argh!

I tried to be patient and even suffered through a few updates with no resolve.  I threatened to leave if it didn't get fixed yet I hung it out..  Well after this last update my patience wore thin and I just cancelled my subscription.  I really wanted this to work but if my music won't stay synced on my phone, I'm throwing away my money.  Why Spotify did you not take me seriously?  Now you have one less subscriber.  I'll stay subscribed to this thread to see if a resolve ever comes but at this point I'm convinced Spotify doesn't listen to or care about their customers.  Bad move Spotify, you should have listened to us.  You're un-subscriptions will grow and to be honest it will serve you right for not taking us seriously.  Even if you get this fixed, I don't know if I want to bother dealing with you again, how can I trust you when you didn't listen to me?  Goodbye.

I'm not a Spotify customer (and I also don't have the app installed), and I use the stock music app on the HTC One X, and the HTC Sync Manager on my Macbook Air. I sync on my Air, and all the albums appear on my phone. Then I leave for work, and on the train the music will suddenly stop. I have a look, and all the albums have gone.

This must be a problem with the phone. Maybe some weird DRM thing. I have no idea. I'm still looking for an answer.

I don't think Spotify is at fault here.

How is this still not fixed almost a YEAR later? Seriously, come on.

Nope, opyate, I switched to another service and this problem has not re occurred. This other service runs fine on my HTC one x. No problem with offline playlists at all. Also read through the Thad and you'll see that it is spread across many different handsets.

I am having the same problem. The files are on my phone but Spotify seems to "lose" them. When I re-download, it downloads the entire GB or so in 5 sec (because the files are already there). However, if I ever restart the app, the playlist disappears. However, I have a playlist from four months back that works fine. I have an HTC Sensation XE phone.

The bug is still not resolved. My playlists vanished yesterday once again. After several months now with no solution at all, I just cancelled my subscription and will switch to another streaming service.

There are quite a few:

Napster

WiMP

Rdio

Juke

et.al.

Just to name a few and give you some ideas.

Well, sad to say I´m leaving Spotify too. At least on the Android platform. I have been using spotify since the early beginning, and I have loved the service. But this problem with "undownloading" playlists and not being able to use sd card is not good enough. The app used too work fine, but not anymore. 

Going off to another service. So long. Good bye.

thats it for me as well, i just cancelled my subscription. im fed up with paying for a disfunctional service. the way you seem to neglect the issue actually made me despise spotify. to me youre at the same level as nestle, coke and shell now 😉

seriously: im not interested in a solution any more. please dont contact me, im done with spotify.

I had the bug this morning. All synced playlists vanished.

my system is CM7, Android 2.3.7 on HTC Desire. (but had the issue with others versions like ICS as well)

Spotify version 0.5.4.73(0.7.1.5797.gbec773d4)

I didn't modify anything on the playlists yesterday, but I had to do a hard reset (savage battery removal). Maybe it's the root cause.

Also, DiskUsage tells me that there's still 70Mb of Spotify cache there (/sd/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.abdroid.ui/cache/Storage)

My testing is showing that I have a choice. Either I get to a. have my music on my sd card and have playlists unsync every time the application is restarted for any reason or b. have all my music on the phone's internal storage and have it work right. 

Im seeing that alot of other people are having the same results, so the whole unsyncing issue seems to be directly related to using sd card work arounds for music storage.

I wonder what the reason is for Spotify wanting to force people to use phone storage and not SD cards? At this point it seems that it has to be intentional, becuase I cannot imagine that the software fix to re-enable storage location can be that difficult. (worked great in old versions!).

Suggested posts