Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Nexus 5 not tracking Spotify data usage

Solved!

Nexus 5 not tracking Spotify data usage

Just got a Nexus 5, my first Android coming from iPhone. I am noticing that my cell data usage for Spotify is not being tracked in the Data Usage page in the usage bar for the specific Spotify app. I’ve been listening to it all morning and it “says” I’ve only used 143KB specifically for Spotify which is impossible. For a quick test I listened to Pandora for a little and saw it quickly increasing to 20MB and beyond. The interesting thing is that it appears the usage is being accounted for in my TOTAL usage for the Data usage Cycle (right beneath the line graph). In that area I see that my phone has used 600MB and counting. This is misleading because the total of all the apps usage doesn’t even come close to 600MB. The highest app on the list is using 40 MB and they drop off quickly, eventually getting down to Spotify at 143KB, not summing up to the total 600MB. I would think for how much I used Spotify and the total phone data usage, Spotify should be at the top of the list with most usage.
Is there some reason my phone is not tracking the data used specifically by Spotify and identifying it there?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That is odd, although I can't confirm. After checking my data usage it shows correctly against the Spotify app. Are you sure you're streaming and not listening to offline playlists?

It may be worth trying an app for bandwidth monitoring such as Ovavo as it seems the system obviously isn't recording it properly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Here is an example of the issue:

Screenshot -Data Usage

Marked as solution

That is odd, although I can't confirm. After checking my data usage it shows correctly against the Spotify app. Are you sure you're streaming and not listening to offline playlists?

It may be worth trying an app for bandwidth monitoring such as Ovavo as it seems the system obviously isn't recording it properly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid

Android Troubleshooting:

I gave Ovavo a try and immediately saw Spotify data usage being g tracked. still nothing on the stock Kitkat Data Usage page though. Sure would be nice to track it there.

Certainly sounds like it's more of an issue with the system as opposed to the app. I prefer using a seperate app myself anyway as you get a nice indication of your usage in the notification bar.

Android Troubleshooting:

+1. I also have this issue. While Spotify data usage is reflected in the total for the billing cycle, data usage is incorrectly reflected in the app-specific meter.

+1. I'm having this same issue as well.

Same here.  However I checked my account on T-mobile, it looks like they are not tracking Data useage for Spotify either!  

Interesting, I have T-mobile as well. When I use Spotify, my total data usage goes up, but the amount used for Spotify on the phone does not. I logged into my T-mobile account on their site, but it doesn't indicate which apps used the data or what type of data was used. I wonder if OP has T-mobile as well.

Suggested posts