Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No Internet connection when connected to WiFi

Solved!

No Internet connection when connected to WiFi

Since I own a OnePlus 6 I always have the problem that Spotify is offline when I connect to a WiFi. When I disconnect from WiFi and use mobile internet Spotify works fine. 

When I reinstall the app spotify works via WiFi until I leave the WiFi. after that I experience the same behavior as before.

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

OnePlus 6

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @meltac! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

I'm sorry to hear this.

Does this happen on every Wi-Fi connection or just your home Wi-Fi? And be sure to check if Spotify is set as an exception for any battery-saving or cache-clearing apps. ^^

Let me know how it goes! 

Peace

View solution in original post

30 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @meltac! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

I'm sorry to hear this.

Does this happen on every Wi-Fi connection or just your home Wi-Fi? And be sure to check if Spotify is set as an exception for any battery-saving or cache-clearing apps. ^^

Let me know how it goes! 

Peace

Hi Nico,
It happens in every WiFi, regardless if it's a new one or a known one. I
also tried to open Spotify while WiFi switched off, playing songs and then
to switch on WiFi. But no success it immediately says that I'm offline. I
don't have any battery saving or caching apps.

I finally found the solution: 

Under the menu for "data usage control" in german "Kontrolle für Datennutzung". Spotify was restricted to "only data". I changed it to "permit all". 

Screenshot_20190412-173454.jpg

If you go to Settings and search for "data usage control", you should be taken to a screen within "Apps & notifications". Select Spotify from the list of apps. Select data usage and check if "Wi-Fi disabled" is swtiched off.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

I've been struggling with this for several months but only now found this solution which helped. 

Hi there @BelLinda,

Thanks for getting back to us!

We're happy to hear your issue got resolved! Feel free to mark the response that help you as a Solution so other users who come across this thread find the answer they're looking for quicker. 

Let us know if there's anything else Spotify-related we could give you a helping hand with 🙂

Enjoy your day!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

If someone is still facing issues with this problem even after trying a few solutions mentioned here then try this out..

Contact your carrier/service provider and ask for new APN settings and apply them or Google new APN settings for your Carrier/service provider and apply them. 

[This is for those people who are facing "No internet Connection" while connected to Mobile Data]

My wife has a Xiaomi MI A2 Lite (Android 10), which has this very problem... I've tried everything showed in this thread and nothing helps. All other Wi-Fi devices in my house work without any problem and even that phone can surf the net and use every other app seamlessly, but Spotify. Why?

This seems to be an app issue, ¿can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there @ji_fde53s-4vv,

Welcome to the Community!

Can you confirm to us that your wife has done a clean reinstall of the app? It's different that simply reinstalling the app from the store. For a guide on how to perform it click - here.

Also Spotify's functionality might be limited by some permissions/firewall software that her device has enabled.  Try and allow it. We know user data is a sensitive topic, however it'd be helpful if you try this in order to see if that's the cause of this issue. You can follow these steps:

1. Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.

2. Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.

3. Last step - restart the phone.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks Alex,

We've previously reinstalled the app in the traditional way, nevertheless I've just did it the way you told me following all further instructions but the error remains and she can only use the app connected to a mobile data connection, if she connects to a Wi-Fi network the "No internet connection" error jumps up.

¿What else can we do?, let me highlight that all other devices in my house work properly connected to my Wi-Fi: washer, my cellphone (Galaxy S8), smart TVs, TV Streamer, smart speaker... the only one that has an error, and only with Spotify (all other functionalities work as expected) is my wife's phone. 😞

Thanks again.

Exact same problem. Spotify works perfectly on mobile data and as soon as I connect to my (very fast) Wi-Fi, instant No Internet Connection. Have gone through all the Android settings and app specific settings 5 times and done a clean re-install of the app. No luck with anything.

Pixel 4A

Android 12

Hey @tan3lt,

Thanks for reaching out about this on the Community!

We understand you run Spotify on an Pixel 4A device with Android 12, but could you also share with us the specific Spotify version number you have on? As you mentioned you've already done a clean reinstall of the app, could you confirm you've followed the steps in this guide. If not, then please give them a go as well, to see if this would make any difference.

In case that your local Wi-Fi is behind a firewall software, then you'd need to make sure Spotify isn't disallowed there, and if so to add an exception for the app in your firewall's settings menu. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator

Thanks for advising me on this. Yes, I did follow the clean install instructions provided on the Spotify forum.

When it comes to my WiFi settings, I can log into my router and change whatever is needed, but what are we looking for exactly - adding a port forwarding rule?

Otherwise the router is running on factory settings and no specific firewall rules have been set nor have any services been disabled.

Tanel.

Hi @tan3lt,

Thank you for keeping in touch. 

If the Spotify app is whitelisted by your firewall, there are other things we can try here. 

Could you make sure your network is set to private and not public? 

Also, have you tried to connect to a different WIFI network to see if there's a difference? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Hello,

I think we are mixing up the Android app and Windows version of Spotify here.

In any case it is not possible to whitelist or unblock specific programs in a router. You can work with the permissions of devices connected to that router or with specific ports or ranges of ports. My Windows version works perfectly on the same Wifi, it's the Android app that is unable to connect.

Private/public also seems like a setting you have on a computer, at least I can't find anything like that in my Android 12 Wifi settings.

So to solve this I would need to know what common issues Spotify app has with common router settings. Also, this is the model of my router - Beetel 777VR1 (Airtel, India).

Cheers!

Hey @tan3lt,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you check if the Spotify app is granted all Permissions in your phone's app settings. Also, make sure that power saving mode is not enabled for Spotify.

Those settings could be blocking the connection as well.

If that doesn't work, you can try connecting to a public WiFi and check whether the app works. This will help check if the issue is related to the phone or your home network.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Hello,

just wanted to update that the problem has corrected itself for me now. Either there was an update to the Spotify app that fixed it for Android 12 or perhaps my internet provider (Airtel, India) changed something. I learned nothing.

Thank you for the replies though.

Cheers!

Hi there @tan3lt,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're really glad to see that everything works as it should for you agian.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I had this same issue. I found that the DNS server in my router was probably misconfigured. Just try it with another one and it works.

Suggested posts