Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No audio over Bluetooth in car - song "plays" but no sound?

Solved!

No audio over Bluetooth in car - song "plays" but no sound?

Hi everyone,

I just installed Spotify (the new version with the UI overhaul) on my HTC Droid Incredible 2 Android smartphone (running 2.3.4). The app works great with headphones, but when I tried using the app in my car with my phone paired to the car's audio system via Bluetooth, when a song is "playing," no audio plays through the car speakers (or through the phone speakers either for that matter). That is, it seems to think that the sound is playing through the car, but it actually is not.  The issue isn't with my phone itself because other music apps work just fine with the car speakers (Winamp, Pandora, HTC's music app). 

Has anyone else had this issue or know what's going on? Spotify devs, is this a known issue for which there might be a fix in the works?

Thanks so much!

Oren

61 Replies

Same problem, under different circumstances.  Using BT headset I can listen to music, but if I switch to place or receive a call, I lose the audio after the call is completed.  I get about 2 seconds of sound, then nothing, while display keeps counting off the seconds and minutes.  All other apps with audio work fine.  Has there been a Spotify response to this thread yet?

What has worked is restarting my phone.. (Samsun Stratosphere).. but that's kind of a pain, right?  Plays all day in our book store on WiFi.  BT is the problem for some reason.  Will try the "switch to offline mode and back" that I read about here.  

Unfortunateley I seem to have the same issue.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Have you heard anything/figured anything out? I am so frustrated with this.
What kind of head unit are you using?

6 months after the first report, i report that i have the same issue with xPeria Z and Mercedes Audio 20 (on B Class).

Works great with the aftermarket stereo in my car (though no metadata), but it doesn't work at all in my wife's new 4Runner.

How do free music player apps do an infinitely better job with Bluetooth than does your costly subscription service?

Same issue here.

I got an HTC ONE X which worked perfectly fine with my Mercedes Audio 20 (except audio tags). This morning however, I upgraded to a brand new HTC ONE, and with the Audio 20 Spotify it does play, but no sound! All other music players on the HTC ONE do stream well (including audio tags). Spotify audio tags never worked on any phone connected with my bluetooth car audio.

What should I do? Many thanks, because >80% of my Spotify listening time is in my car.

Thanks for any help!

I have the same problem. Spotify on streaming  worked well (without tags though) in my new Mercedes A class, with my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2. Now I have the new HTC one silver, and Spotify streaming is silent! What a disappointment!

Im having same issue on Droid Razr in 2010 toyota venza.  I found if I play somthing from another app (in my case a video from gallery) it kinda unclogs the pipe and allows the audio through but no info on whats playing.  So far this workaround has worked every time but would be nice to not need it.

I decided to return the HTC One and went back to the HTC One X. Replacing Spotify with another app or replacing the Benz with other car was more hassle.

Also finding out where the issue lies is an impossible journey: HTC <--> Google Android <--> Spotify App <--> Mercedes <--> Bluetooth.

An interesting piece of information concerning my problem : yesterday I used another car to get home, it was a KIA Picanto, and there no problem at all with my HTC one silver! The streaming worked perfectly. So I think the problem lies with Mercedes-Benz. Hopefully the problem will be solved when a new software version will be installed in my car. At the moment, in my A-class, the streaming for Spotify lasts one second and then the audio system sets it in pause, and there is no way to restart it. I guess I will have to be patient and use a jack cable in the meantime...

I have a Mazda CX-5.  I have a personal iPhone 5 and Spotify works like a charm with the Bluetooth audio streaming with metadata.  However, my work phone has unlimited data so, I wanted to use Spotify from there.  I'm encountering similar issues as everyone else.  I do get the metadata tags... but no audio.  The counter ticks up but no audio out.  I will try the force close trick tonight.  Also, I know it isn't the phone because Google Music plays over Bluetooth without problems. 

Bottom line, I love Spotify... I use it religiously at home, work, car, etc.  I pay for premium and evangelize the service like crazy.  I am just a little disheartened that the Android app seems to be so buggy.

Hi folks,

I have also this problem in a mercedes c-class (year of manufacture 2013).

All other bluetooth audio connections via winamp etc. seems to be ok...

I use a motorola razr i with the spotify android app...

Every time I connect my phone via bluetooth, spotify is able to play 2 or 3 seconds a song

and then stops immediately.

I have already deinstalled the app (deleting the cache etc.) but that's not the solution.

PLEASE FIX IT!!!

is there anybody else who have similar problems?

EDIT:

i tested the bluetooth audio stream with a blackberry bold 9900. that works!!!

so i suppose that there is a bug in the android app...

AGAIN: PLEASE FIX IT!!!

You have the opposite problem to me, bluetooth never ever worked on my Bold 9900. 

Spotify don't "officially" support bluetooth streaming, so its sometimes pot luck if it works or not it seems. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm experiencing the same issue with the cla. My work around:
1) open Google play app and play a song
2) while playing open spotify and tap play.

Without step 1 it does not work for me. The workaround is okay, but world be great if spotify could fix it.

Good news. Since the installation of the new Android 4.2.2 software in my HTC one, the streaming is now working. Problem solved!

I've uninstalled, rebooted both phone and car stereo. Still no audio as music keeps playing to either my car or BT headset.

Seems Spotify has now jacked up ALL my bluetooth.  Now my other music players (to play the stuff on the hard drive of the phone) won't send via bluetooth either.

It's bad enough it's not working like I want, but it's jacked up my ability to play via bluetooth at all?!  Customer support gave me the same line about not supporting bluetooth and pointed me to the forums.  Just dandy when I've got a road trip coming up.

Oh, and I've NEVER been able to put my playlists on my iPod either.

I'm getting crankier and crankier over this.

@mrsdrc - If its giving you issues does removing Spotify sort out your other media applications. Not much of an android man myself, but might be able to help with the iPod. What model is it? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'd think it was pretty unlikely that spotify did anything to stop your bluetooth working as it simple sends output to BT using the built-in android routines for BT streaming. Maybe, before assuming it is down to one app, you should carefully look for another, more general, issue on your phone.

Since the Android 4.3 version has been installed on my HTC one, now I even get the tags on my car audio system. Spotify gets better again

I have a 2013 MazdaSpeed3 and my Spotify USE to work, but about 6 months ago it stops randomly.. It was after a Spotify App update, I remember that much. Pandora works, and my XM works too, but Spotify refuses sometimes.

Usually rebooting my phone works, but I never have to with Pandora or XM via my phone.

Phone: I have a T-Mobile Samsung Note 2

Car: 2013 MazdaSpeed 3 w/ tech package.

Version: 0.7.4.610 gd7332b3

Suggested posts