Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No audio over Bluetooth in car - song "plays" but no sound?

Solved!

No audio over Bluetooth in car - song "plays" but no sound?

Hi everyone,

I just installed Spotify (the new version with the UI overhaul) on my HTC Droid Incredible 2 Android smartphone (running 2.3.4). The app works great with headphones, but when I tried using the app in my car with my phone paired to the car's audio system via Bluetooth, when a song is "playing," no audio plays through the car speakers (or through the phone speakers either for that matter). That is, it seems to think that the sound is playing through the car, but it actually is not.  The issue isn't with my phone itself because other music apps work just fine with the car speakers (Winamp, Pandora, HTC's music app). 

Has anyone else had this issue or know what's going on? Spotify devs, is this a known issue for which there might be a fix in the works?

Thanks so much!

Oren

61 Replies

I'm with you there. I pay for premium only because I use it in my car. If spotify doesnt support BT, I'll give other services my business. I use Microsoft for every thing else anyway.

I have this issue too, but I think it's down to Androi.... It tends to be on first connection sometimes I don't get audio, by disconnecting then reconnecting my Bluetooth it works fine.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Similar issue connectig to my portable bluetooth speaker. Everthing elses works but Spotify. So far the only way to fix it is to restart the application. I cheeked everything else and the pc, the speaker and conneciton are not the problem. Somehow the applation doesn't work at first!

I switched to Google Music. Things just work fine now.

Yes restart spotty i.e. Sign out then back in and it seems to work.

Weird how updated upset things! Thought I was going mad as all other sounds works (notifications etc and sat nav)

Thanks to this forum the answer was found well done all 😀

Mine used to play all the time without any issue. Then last week it quit after the 3rd song and now I can't get it to play in the car. I tried all the solutions suggested here and other forums and still nothing. It plays, but no sound still. Any other suggestions?

I usually have to unpair from my car, reboot my phone and then pair it up again with the car when the while thing locks up. I havent figured out of it is the car or the phone that is locking up...but usually that works.

hi all,

i gave up using spotify in car because of this issue 😞

using htc m8 4.4.2

it used to work better i think - recently not at all unless you manually set it playing - and then even then it is a battle i find

car is vw mk6 golf using rns510 head unit

cheers

dan

I have a vw passat and it usually disconnects. If spotify isnt the open app on my phone (i.e. i switched to check weather or email etc.) Even though it is open in the background i have to move it to the foreground for the BT to catch the next time i get in the car...

I am using the samsung galaxy note 4 btw...hope to uograde to the 5 soon...maybe it will be better *crosses fingers*

My vehicle is a 2012 rav4 and my phone is the Samsung Galaxy S5 . They used to play great music together. My son used my Rav and played his tunes with his iPhone, so it's since then. I have unpaired all phones, reset the car audio, reset my phone even. Spotify in the forefront and still nothing. It still looks like it's playing both on audio and phone and no sound comes out from devices. I'm at a loss.

ah yes that is the death of spotify and car bt i find - when there is a battle with iphones and android devices 😄

That is very frustrating when there is a specific hookup for iphones or ipods on that radio, and he uses iTunes of course. It probably is hopeless then for me for as long as the snow is falling he will use my car to go to the slopes 😞

no way! mine has just started working! 😄
hadn't worked for months and now has worked 3 times in a row... crazy! 😄

Odd... mine finally is working as of Sunday. .

cool - must have been an update maybe

I was going crazy with the same issue.

What I've found is that the Phone has a separate Bluetooth Volume Profile, that by the nights when I use a portable Bluetooth Speaker, sometimes myself turn down, so then when the phone is connected to the car seems like the track plays but without audio.

So in my case, just turning up the volume from the device button solved the problem.

My car allows me to make calls but it will not allow me to stream music which pisses me off to no end. This is just how the stereo is made and there is no way to change it unless you buy an other stereo unit.

My solution: I bought a Bluetooth gadget that plugs into my AUX plug which is that small 3.5mm hole in the front of your car stereo for those of you who do not know.

You can purchase them at this website where they are super cheap.

Now I can play my music from my phone and make calls hands free. Best few dollars i have spent in a long time!

I think my problmes started with me connecting an iphone to my car too and like you I have gone back to basics with all devices, unparied them, reset them but still nothing. I do get volume on my Android phone though. The car unit shows the track playing and I can even control (pause, forward, rewond etc) from the car unit but the sounds will not come over the car speakers. I;ve been on Samsung S7 forums, Clarion forums (car unit) and now here. Lots of people with the same problem. Think I will need to do a hard reset on the phone but that's a real pain.

What I did to solve my issue, was resetting my car radio and restarting my phone. If my son borrows my car, he is not allowed to pair his I-phone on my radio anymore, and I haven't had this issue since.

Suggested posts