NEXT STEP

Non-Spotify media paused when Spotify starts elsewhere

Non-Spotify media paused when Spotify starts elsewhere

So I've got a few devices around my house:

• Desktop PC
  • Laptop PC x2
  • Tablet x3
  • Phone x1

Desktop PC, one laptop, all tablets, and my phone have Spotify installed. I only regularly use one tablet, phone, desk, and one laptop. On the phone and tablet, I also have a program called Audible. I'm going to draw out a scenario since it's easier to explain that way. Here's what I do, and what happens:

1. The Mrs is driving home, using my tablet to listen to an Audiobook in her car (Audible)
  2. I'm setting off from work, and start up Spotify on my phone.
  3. I play music
  4. As soon as I play music, her audiobook pauses. Spotify is not "open" on my tablet, but it does have whatever background processes/(Windows style, not Android style) services you leave running.

So basically, for some reason part of the messaging system is sending a message out to say "music is playing from X device", and Spotify on all devices is looking for other active media and pausing it. Similar thing happens if I'm listening to an audiobook and some soft music to accompany it (call me strange or whatever, but I like what I like).

Does anyone else ever encounter this issue? All the tablets and phone are android, the PC and laptops are Windows 10 / Ubuntu, and it happens regardless of which device Spotify is started from. I've only noticed it pausing media on the Android device, but I can play Spotify to trigger it from any.

6 Replies

This is exactly my story down to the last detail. Fix this spotify! Audible pauses when spotify pauses 😞

FYI I gave up in the end and now host my own Plex and Subsonic servers. They are cheaper (if you already have a music collection) and I can manage them myself on my server so I can effectively make them do whatever I want. I'd highly recommend moving away from Spotify for the time being as they are simply too big to care about an issue that only two people encounter...

Maybe you have to disconnect from the tablet to solve the problem.

Closing the running app should suffice. If I need to logout, kill some background process, or do anything of sorts I'm having to go further than I should. As an end user, I expect that when the app is closed, it isn't interfering with the execution of other apps.

Have you got a Spotify widget on your tablet ? It can generate backgroud process...

No widgets active. This was a long time ago, but I've never been a fan of widgets and have always had them off/disabled/whatever where possible.

Suggested posts