Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect not working on multiple 3rd party devices

Recently there have been numerous reports that Spotify Connect is not working on 3rd party devices like wireless smart speakers, multiroom speakers, sound systems and receivers. 

It's either possible to connect to the speaker using the Spotify Connect picker, but songs cannot be played and playback cannot be controlled, or the speakers appear grayed out and cannot connect at all.

Hello everyone,

We are aware that this issue has been going on for quite some time now. Thanks to your reports and immense help in troubleshooting this, we are happy to say that this should now be fixed. The information provided from members of the community greatly helped the tech teams from Spotify. They worked together with different speaker manufacturers over the last few months in order to pinpoint what was causing this connection issue and were able to sort it out.

If you're still having issues playing music on your sound systems via Spotify Connect, we recommend the following:

• Check if there are any firmware updates available for your speaker and install them.
  • Reboot your router and re-connect all devices to the network.
  • Alter your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if the issue comes back! We'll do our best to get on it right away, so that you can enjoy your music.

Comments
ro996

All of a sudden it works again, after logging into Spotify on my tablet I could connect to the receiver and music started playing again. Maybe the "log of everywhere" helped.

Kiril

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Could you confirm if this issue with the 'Connect' feature is still occurring for both of you? We're asking this because there was a recent widespread API outage for some of our partners, and so this could have been the cause for this situation with your apps. However the issue has been resolved and everything should be working as expected in the moment.

If the issue still persists, then we suggest you to go for a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than the normal one and ensures that no cached data will cause interference with the performance of your app. See if this will shake things up and make casting and connecting to other devices possible again. 

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

oyvindpe

Another norwegian here. Exact same problem with my Menuett radio. Tried EVERYTHING (Full uninstall of spotify app, Factrory reset on the radio, Reset of wifi. Logged off all spotify devices). Tried with both mobile app and desktop app. Still will not work. The radio recognizes the song, and it comes up on the display, but will not play. When pushing play, I briefly see the pause sign, as if the song starts, but then it just stops and shows the play button again. Nothing happens. Really frustrating. But this is just another issue with Spotify support. No help there. Reading these forums, this is a problem that has been there for months with no resolve from Spotify. They of course like us to pay for the premium subscription, but to fix issues like this doesn´t seem to be on their priority list, as long as they get our money.

BoboSWE

Testing now connecting to speakers seems to be the same, meaning I does not work.

It does seem to be able to connect  "better" though, but still not playing.

Playing on the Crome cast works now.

So for me its still not playing on the samsung speakers.

pkspark-62

Is the wifi connection defective since update version 8.7.46 ?? I guess since this updat it stopped working here in our household on all iphones and ios tablets, connecting normally through wifi connect to samsung soundbar hw-j651.

if so, spotify pls fix urgent. I don’t like the bluetooth hassle for connecting

GBeulen

Unfortunately same for me. The behaviour is the same for google cast (keeps trying to connect) and Samsung speakers (connects, but stays with 'play' button after a minor second where it shows the pauze button as if it would start play , but it never does). 

One thing I noticed after the reinstall is that initially the Spotify app said I was offline, even though my phone and internet connection were very much online. After restarting the app it showed online, but the issue's still there. 

It has to be something with the network, but it's Spotify specifically that all of a sudden has issues. No other service or cast function has this.

nazariof

Not working on my Harman Kardon 161S or my PS4. I've modified the DNS as people suggested in both of them devices and issues continue. 

My PS4 appears as restricted.

My AVR receives the request to play but song does not start.

Both devices were working Ok early June.

Armand

The problem is somewhere in the spotify backend not the app, downgrading won't help and the problem occurs in the Web player too

MrMEEE

From all my testing, I'm pretty sure that the problem is that Spotify have changed either the codec and/or bitrate of the stream, to something that the Samsung speakers doesn't support.. This means that the streaming will connect and start, but never play anything as the speakers will fails.. Because the protocol is pretty closed, I haven't been able to verify this, and neither Spotify nor Samsung seems to be interested in helping. Spotify won't even accept my suggestion to provide them with debug info.. They just hope to fix the issue with an update of something they don't know what is.. 😞

pkspark-62

Well i am pretty sure it is a fault at spotify. From the samsung app i can stream other music through wifi, and i have read a lot of people, also with various audio systems, having the same problems.

so i will  wait and see if there will be an update or fix or acknowledgment from spotify