Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect not working on multiple 3rd party devices

Recently there have been numerous reports that Spotify Connect is not working on 3rd party devices like wireless smart speakers, multiroom speakers, sound systems and receivers. 

It's either possible to connect to the speaker using the Spotify Connect picker, but songs cannot be played and playback cannot be controlled, or the speakers appear grayed out and cannot connect at all.

Hello everyone,

We are aware that this issue has been going on for quite some time now. Thanks to your reports and immense help in troubleshooting this, we are happy to say that this should now be fixed. The information provided from members of the community greatly helped the tech teams from Spotify. They worked together with different speaker manufacturers over the last few months in order to pinpoint what was causing this connection issue and were able to sort it out.

If you're still having issues playing music on your sound systems via Spotify Connect, we recommend the following:

• Check if there are any firmware updates available for your speaker and install them.
  • Reboot your router and re-connect all devices to the network.
  • Alter your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if the issue comes back! We'll do our best to get on it right away, so that you can enjoy your music.

Comments
pkspark-62

Can it be confirmed that the DNS trick also works when i want to use spotify app on iphone and stream over wifi to samsung soundbar? If yes then i will set up a server for this, but it has no use if this will not work

Voetzoeker

I did not manage to get that DNS to work on my router.

Eni

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

@Petica, would you mind letting us know if the same happens using a different device such as a phone? Also, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app on your MacBook to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

@melsconverse, the issue you're describing is slightly different from the OP's. In this case, we suggest that you submit your post on the relevant board to avoid any mix-ups.

We'll be on the lookout.

Armand

I don't think you can play podcasts over speakers. 

I have the same asus router which really sucks as it is one of the few asus routers for which there aren't any custom firmwares available in which you can easily set up a DNS exception. I really don't like the idea of using some random IP for all my dns requests  ....

MrTin007

Here is where you can put in the custom DNS on a standards ASUS router:

MrTin007_0-1658426391852.png

Again big thanks for the DNS👍

Eni

Hey folks, 

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

We've passed it to the team in charge who are currently looking into this. 

We'll keep you updated here when we have more news.

Cheers!

ordo

Same issue here. I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, everything updated. I can't cast to any of my speakers: Samsung H750, Samsung M3 (3 different ones) two Google Nest Mini, one Google Home (OG), one Google Nest Hub. I can only play music on my local phone. I have premium family. It's *super* annoying! 

DesignDirk

Yep, I'm another Dutch user that just lost the main motivation to have was premium Spotify membership...

Voetzoeker

Did anyone manage to do this on a FritzBox router?

MrMEEE