Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline Music deleted after reboot

Offline Music deleted after reboot

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8 with 128gb SD Card (not encrypted)

Operating System

Android 9.0

My Question or Issue:

Everytime I reboot my phone Spotify changes the file path from my SD Card back to the Internal storage and even deletes all previously downloaded songs on the Card. My SD Card isn't encrypted, as it was a problem, which other forum posts discussed. My DS Card also isn't corrupted because all the other data as Pictures or movies stay intact. I also didn't open Spotify right after the reboot I at least left the phone running for 20 minutes, so the SD Card should be integrated already.

I don't what to do and it's pretty annoying to download everything over and over again.

10 Replies

Hey @NickMulle

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Please try following these steps:

1. Enable permission for storage option for Spotify. This can be accessed by going to Settings>Apps>Spotify>Permissions>Storage.
2. Do a clean reinstall as explained here.

Thanks in advance and make sure to let us know how it goes 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I've tried all the steps and it did work for a month, but now it's happening again, I'm starting to believe that it was just coincidence that the bug didn't occur. Is there anything else I can do?

I have to say it's very annoying restarting your phone after school or something similar and on the way home you can't hear any music.

I may have to consider cancelling my premium plan.

I can now describe the problem in details:

I have my sound library of 9.8 GB downloaded and if I now reboot by phone and look with a file manager in the folder Spotify saves its Offline library "com.spotify.music" it has still a size of 9.8 GB.

If I open spotify now the location of the offline library is changed to the intern storage of my Phone, if I change it now to my SD-Card it shows for a brief second a used storage of 9.8 GB but quickly deletes my whole library. And if I check it with a file manager it's all gone.

But if I see that spotify has changed his location to the intern storage of Phone and I don't change it to the SD-Card but I now close spotify and change the name of the folder "com.spotify.music" to something else so that spotify does not recognise it any more. If I now open spotify and change the offline location to my SD it creates this folder again. Now I copied the files "mercury.db", "mercury.db-wal", "offline.bnk" and the whole folder "Users" into the folder that I earlier renamed to something different and overwrite the old files with the new created ones, I'm not sure if all the files need to be copied but this is what I did and it worked for me. I did not change anything with the saved songs which are in the folder "Storage". Now I rename this old Spotify folder with the new files in it back to the original name and delete the newly created "com.spotify.music" folder. Now I'm able to start spotify with my 9.8 GB of library loaded and working.

This shows to me that it's a problem on your end, it may be caused by the encryption not recognising the library after a restart.

I hope I could provide enough information to fix this bug if you have any questions or solutions please contact me.

Nick

This is a repost of my description, since it was falsely marked as spam and deleted.

I can now describe the problem in details:

I have my sound library of 9.8 GB downloaded and if I now reboot by phone and look with a file manager in the folder Spotify saves its Offline library "com.spotify.music" it has still a size of 9.8 GB.

If I open spotify now the location of the offline library is changed to the intern storage of my Phone, if I change it now to my SD-Card it shows for a brief second a used storage of 9.8 GB but quickly deletes my whole library. And if I check it with a file manager it's all gone.

But if I see that spotify has changed his location to the intern storage of Phone and I don't change it to the SD-Card but I now close spotify and change the name of the folder "com.spotify.music" to something else so that spotify does not recognise it any more. If I now open spotify and change the offline location to my SD it creates this folder again. Now I copied the files "mercury.db", "mercury.db-wal", "offline.bnk" and the whole folder "Users" into the folder that I earlier renamed to something different and overwrite the old files with the new created ones. I do not change anything with the saved songs which are in the folder "Storage". Now I rename this old Spotify folder with the new files in it back to the original name and delete the newly created "com.spotify.music" folder. Now I'm able to start spotify with my 9.8 GB of library loaded and working.

This shows to me that it's a problem on your end, it may be caused by the encryption not recognising the library after a restart.

I hope I could provide enough information to fix this bug if you have any questions or solutions please contact me.

Nick

Hi, Nick. Did you manage to solve this problem, cause it's happening for me every time. My library's even bigger than yours tho...

Hi,

No I sadly still did not fix the problem, and I´m still using the "fix" I described in this thread earlier, to which none of the Spotify employees answered.

I started a second thread a while ago (Link: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Offline-Songs-deleted-after-reboot/m-p/4854903#M159268 ), where a Community member posted a Solution to the problem that I haven´t tried yet. If it isn´t too big of a hassle for you, you could try it and post if it worked there or here.

Btw does the problem also occure on a S8 or what device are you using?

Regards

Nick

I’m having the same issue with note9 and Android 10. It happened previously several months ago. Switched to Amazon music and no longer had issues. My wife uses Spotify and doesn’t like change and mentioned it seemed to stop happening to her about a month and half ago. I switched back to Spotify but with Android 10 update about 2 weeks ago it now occurs upon every reboot. I guess I will going back to Amazon my wife says she finally so frustrated with Spotify she’s considering joining me. FYI, I never put it in offline mode, ever..... sincerely, freaking frustrated!

Hi,

Haven't tried your fix yet, but if it works for you,  unfortunately it seems to be the only known solution for today. I have been using Spotify on Android 8, 9 and 10 on my Xiaomi Mi A1.

The app is horrible though.

Whenever I reboot the phone

- it starts downloading the whole library again

- then I can't move the songs to SD card till it ends downloading

- if the app tries to move the songs anyway, it's a dead end with the storage option grayed out

- closing the app does nothing, force close breaks it completely

- delete Spotify, install Spotify

- PROFIT 😞

Is your S.D formatted FAT32 ??

It´s formatted as exFat but the format shouldn´t play a role here because I will never exceed the file size limit of Fat32 and also not the number of files in a directory. I formatted the SD in the phone so it should work fine with it.

Suggested posts