Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline Status Removed and Default Storage Changed AGAIN and AGAIN

Offline Status Removed and Default Storage Changed AGAIN and AGAIN

This is about the FOURTH TIIME in the past month that my offline status has been removed from a nearly 3,000-track playlist with no intentional (or observed) intervention from me.  Furthermore, each time this occurs, my default storage location is changed from my SD card (to which I have explicitly set it several times) to my "Device Storage" (my S4 device's own, much smaller, internal "SD card," which does NOT have sufficient space to store the tracks on this playlist offline.

Furthermore, once I tapped on the SD card in STORAGE and it started transferring, when I tap again at first, it says "transferring," as it should, but then a few minutes later I tap on SD card again and it acts as though this is the first time I am requesting this, asking me to confirm the transfer AGAIN.

So this is buggy, not just inconvenient.

It has been pointed out repeatedly by myself and others that at the very least confirmation should be requested before taking a playlist that is offline ON line again, and deleting all of the downloaded tracks.  And yet nothing has been done.  And now it seems that no matter how careful one is, this occurs again and again.

So when will Spotify take this absurdly simple measure?

Other than the above, love the service and practically everything about it.

7 Replies

Same problem here!

Did you find any solution for problem? I have struggeled with the same issue since I got mine S7 Edge. It is really annoying since Spotify is the only app that has this issue. For me this happens every time my phone is rebooted and I have tried all the solutions I could find. Nothing helps.

This is making me strongly consider Tidal or Wimp!

I experienced the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S3 a few months ago and now on my Galaxy S7.

I download my music onto the SD Card. It works for a few hours but after some time when I restart my S7 I have to login again, Spotify switched from SD card storage to internal storage and my downloaded music is gone.

I've seen several threads about this problem back in 2012.

2012! We're in 2016 now, 4 years later, and this problem is still not fixed!

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Apple Music.

If this problem would have occured on Apple Music it would be fixed within a few days.

Right now the Spotify mobile app is completely useless for me (and I'm sure for many others) because it's always losing my downloaded music!

Spotify, we are paying you darn high amounts of money and after 4 years you can't fix this problem? It's a real shame, seriously!

Yes seeing this on my S7

Everytime I restart the device Spotify forgets that the music is on the sd storage and defaults back to the internal, meaning I need to reset and then redownload the playlist

It also creates a new (duplicate) device for offline downloads in the my acount section

A very anoying bug that needs fixing

S7 Edge owners may be interested in this update from Spotify.

I too have an Edge and I think that what happens is that the Edge unmounts then remounts the SD card - I was seeing this without rebooting. Unfortunately, the spotify app doesn't handle this gracefully and resets storage to internal which means we lose access to the cache on the SD card.

The SD card unmounting on the Edge seems pretty common but doesn't affect everyone. I was going to buy a new SD card but first I removed my existing one, cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser and reinserted it carefully. 8 hours later and still working but not holding my breath.

Yesterday (14 hours ago) I deleted Spotify completely, reformated my SD card, did a clean install and started downloading my music again. I did several reboots of my S7 and it all worked fine, the downloaded music was still there. After I got up this morning I again rebooted the S7 several times to test it and it was still all working fine.

But an hour ago I did another reboot - All downloaded music is gone again.

I was on vacation the last 2 weeks and I had to redownload my music 3 times because of this issue. Thank god the hotel had a good WiFi connection!

Since Spotify is in touch with Samsung right now I really hope they can fix this issue as soon as possible!

In my case, this may not have been entirely Spotify's fault. I think that
my phone had a bad connector between the SIM/SD card assembly and the
phone's motherboard. I was getting restarts due to failures to detect the
SIM, and although I was never unable to get to the SD card, it may be that
a small disruption in the SD connection caused Spotify to dump the entire
set of downloads and start all over again.

I have just upgraded my phone and have thus far (about one week) not
experienced the offline status problem. I've gone more than a week before
without it happening, but I'm inclined to think that the phone was part of
the problem.

Having said that, Spotify could have handled what must have been a very
temporary disruption of connectivity to the SD card much better than it
did. Specifically, it could have checked for the SD card again a few times
before declaring all tracks on it to be invalid.

So this may be a combination of a problem with hardware, and a not very
good response to that problem on the part of Spotify.

Hope that helps you. You might want to check for hardware flakiness. If
you are using an external SD card, you might consider switching to your
phone's internal "SD card" memory for your Spotify storage, to see if that
solves the problem.

Suggested posts