Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline mode not downloading all songs

Offline mode not downloading all songs

I think I reached my limit of patience... It's been a year now and I still don't know why it happens. 

1. I create a playlist on PC

2. I "download" it on my Android Phone. I do not switch Offline Mode on

3. Everything seems fine, let's say I'm restaring Spotify App, phone etc.

4. Suddenly some songs can't be played even though playlist is still marked as fully downloaded

5. (I keep download via 2g/3g off). I'm switching on my Mobile Data, the songs that could not be played are played via 3g

6. I switch mobile data off. I switch Offline mode On

7. Again some more songs are not available. After restarting Spotify, those songs become fully (grey colour) not available

8,. I have to connect to Wi-Fi again to re-download the songs

9. -  everything repeats itself unless I play the songs while being connected to Wi-Fi, it seems(!) like the only thing that makes songs permanently downloaded

Of course between those steps is usually 1-2 days, not 30 days, before anyone says that songs need to be redownloaded every 30 days..

Anybody else experience something similar?

11 Replies

Hi @edga What happens if you sync the offline playlist at home on your WiFi and then immediately put the app in Offline Mode? You don't have to turn of data on your phone as well. 

How much free space do you currently have on your Android? Is it possible you're close to the 3,333 track limit for offline playlists? 

Above scenario is just one of many. If I download a playlist, put it in Offline Mode. Next morning i can't play few songs.

The playlists I'm talking about is 20-30 songs, and we're talking about 5-6 playlists, so 3,333 track limit doesn't apply

There's a long-running topic here which may be relevant. I would suggest ununstalling then reinsatalling spotify as a first step to troubleshooting.

What device and android version are you using?

I uninstalled, reinstalled, allowed new versions to be installed many times but nothing helped. 

I'm using Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.2.2

I've done a little test Today.

Yesterday evening I created 3 playlist about 15 songs each. Downloaded them via wi-fi and played few songs to make sure it's all right. Then switched to Offline mode and played few more songs, all good.

This morning I'm going to work everything seems fine but few songs stopped midway and didn't want to play further. 

By now 85% of the songs from those 3 playlists are grey and need to be redownloaded. I did use Mobile Data few times but Spotify was in offline mode at all times.

Weird right?

Please post the relevant information in that bug topic to help the devs work out what needs fixing. You can also get in touch directly with spotify support who may be able to suggest something by using the online contact formIf you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

This is a wider issue I'm sure. I've experienced the issue numerous times in the past few days since I'm abroad. Every day I have to re-download all playlists via wi-fi. The only songs that work all the time are the ones that have been downloaded about six months ago, those seem to still be in the memory of Spotify

Three weeks on holiday and every morning I had to look for Wi-Fi to get songs re-downloaded. 

Funny thing is, even now when I do that and then switch wi-fi off and leave the house, most of the songs are not playable anyway...

Are you storing Spotify content on an SD card? If so what type of SD card is it?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Is there an option to change where it should be stored? I'm using MicroSD HC 16GB, a no-name one that was supplied with Sony Xperia-Z

Key That Works 4 Me. Setting On My Phone Is Which 2 Offline....Downloading Is Set 2 Recommend Setting. I've Download The Playlist First.; AfterArds I would Go 2 The Setting 2 My Phone While Still Plug In 2 My PC, All Of My Songs Play... UTube Video's Made In 2 MP3 Plays / Songs From Different Site's. EveryThing Has An Green Mark & They  R Ready 2 Play Try It. My Phone Is An LG K10.....I was Thinking Of Switching 2 Itunes But They Dont Have Every Song. Plus 4 Me Spotify Is Easy When It Comes 2 Making A PlayList 4 Free......But I Still Have 2 Pay 4 Premium Service.....Try It  / Don't Know Is It The Phone Or The Setting....But It's Working 4 Me....

Suggested posts