Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline storage on SD card issues

Solved!

Offline storage on SD card issues

Plan: Premium

Device: Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite

Operating System: Android Pie

SD Cards: SanDisk Ultra 128GB, SanDisk Extreme 32GB 

I had around 20GB in offline songs. They kept moving to internal storage, I moved them back to SD a few times. I noticed I'm losing free space on SD card, around 20GB a time. I was 60GB down when I found and followed a solution posted here:

Force stop Spotify, remove data and cache, uninstall. Then on PC, disconnect all offline devices (my phone was listed 5 times!)

After that I install Spotify on my phone again and now it doesn't see my SD card at all. Also, 60 GB are still used on my SD card! Deleting folders manually doesn't work, neither does formatting. Inserted the card in my laptop: can't delete folders, can't format (tried a few formatting and partitioning tools), Chkdsk finds a file system error it can't repair. So SD card is now useless.

I get my old 32GB card and put it in my phone, fill it with 10GB worth of music. Within an hour Spotify claims 10GB are used by "other app" and downloads the same songs again. Then it claims 20GB are used by "other app" and downloads 10GB again! Checking on my PC - my phone is listed 3 times in offline storage.

Needless to say, I uninstalled Spotify and re-formatted the card before Spotify kills it with constant redownloads.

How do I fix this?

[EDIT] Another thing I noticed is Cache constantly changing, from a few MB to 8+GB, even when I'm not listening to Spotify. I wonder if this constant cache rewriting is what's killing SD cards.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/SD-card-destroyed/td-p/1308837

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-The-destroyer-of-SD-cards/m-p/1605287

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

No such issues with Deezer, never looked back after switching.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I have the same device and exact same problem. Have you already found a solution?

It's driving me nuts. (Also reformatted several times, clean reinstall, ...)

I have not found a solution.

I'm on a third SD card now (128GB again). It seemed to work fine for a week but Spotify just now "forgot" it already downloaded my music on the SD card, and is downloading 3,616 files again - to the internal storage.

Since Spotify does not offer ANY customer support at all and searching the forums only gives me more people with the same issues and no answers, I decided to cancel Spotify and try out Deezer.

Problem still exists. I'm on Galaxy S10 now. Have 64gb Samsung SD card in. At first I can select storage in SD card, but after a day or two, Spotify randomly starts to download the same downloaded songs, but in INTERNAL storage. And at that time Spotify doesn't see SD card at all until I restart my phone. 

And also, all the downloaded song data on SD card still exists. 

Looks like Spotify can't fix this **bleep** issue for years. 

The only solution for me was... just store songs on Internal memory 😞

It's really a shame how this problem still exists.  Neither deleting cache, data, format SD, nothing worked till this day. Previously I was on S8. 

Same problem here with same device. Everytime i put my offline data into sd card, few hours later it restart downloading everything again to internal storage. I dont know whats going on.

I have the same problem for months on my S9+.... it's really annoying! I have about 30gb of music to transfer on my sd card each time... it's taking forever....

I am thinking to cancel my subscription too... 

Marked as solution

No such issues with Deezer, never looked back after switching.

Suggested posts