Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ok Google will play a specific song but not a playlist or artist?!

Ok Google will play a specific song but not a playlist or artist?!

Hi Guys,

I've been trialing Spotify and now have signed up for a family plan but after a few weeks off work i'm back in my commute.

I do this on a motorbike and have now hit a problem. i can use my headset to say "ok google, play jumping jack flash in spotify" and it works great. But one song isn't going to get me to work.

BUT it doesn't work if i say "ok google, play the rolling stones in spotify" it bring up spotfiy and shows me the rolling stones with a big "shuffle" button but do i seriously have to press the shuffle button?!

just make it shuffle, i can't hit the shuffle button from the motorbike.

hopefully someone can tell me it's just a setting i need to change or something i'm doing wrong but if this is how it is meant to work i will be cancelling my subscription very quickly and going back to google play music. This is the main time I use the music and if it can't do this simple function spotify is no good to me despite all the other great features it has.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Chris

4 Replies

Hey Chris,

I have to agree that's slightly odd behaviour.

- First things first, are all of your apps up to date?

- Have you checked the phrases you can use? Look at this link

- If that doens't work, I wonder if installing AndroidAuto might help. Obviously not for viewing purposes but might do something with the voice element as it's for driving purposes.

Let me know if you get anywhere with all that 🙂

Cheers, Jon

Thanks for the response Jon.

I have checked and all updates have been applied. i also had android auto installed but it was not set up.

I went through the setup hoping this would help but still no joy.

If i set android auto to open when connected to my headset and then try requesting a song i get the message "please unlock your device to use voice commands with android auto" this seems crazy! fine if the phone is in a holder but on the bike it is in my pocket. it also seems to be an android auto specific problem rather than spotify.

If i don't have android auto open i get the best result but i still cannot play an artist or playlist.

If i say "play jumping jack flash in spotify" i get the response, "ok asking spotify to play music" and the song will play.

If i say "play the rolling stones in spotify" i get the response "ok asking spotify to play music" and spotify will bring up a rolling stones play list but i STILL have to manually hit the shuffle button to actually play the music (which i cannot do on the bike)

Is it SUPPOSED to work or is this how it currently works on all devices?

I'm using a samsung galaxy S6 (SM-G920i) Running Android 7.0

Spotify version 8.4.22.857

Thanks again for your help

Ok google  can search and auto play specific songs or even artist perfectly, but there's something wrong when you wanted it to searched a playlist for example like your own playlist. It will just take you to some random playlist but will never play yours. What's up with this?  This is so frustrating. 

I'm having the issue even with an artist. for example, it will play "sympathy for the devil" when asked but wont play "the rolling stones" when asked. 

i've gone back to google play until they get this sorted.

Suggested posts