Step 1

NEXT STEP

Option to DISABLE auto start spotify android app

Option to DISABLE auto start spotify android app

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Top Answer
Mihail
Spotify Legend

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out here. We appreciate the feedback and have passed it on to our developers.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a solution for this at the moment because the way the app behaves when connected to Bluetooth devices, including car stereo systems, varies based on the device involved. These actions are a result of how the specific Bluetooth device is designed to interact with the Spotify API. However, we’re constantly optimizing our app, so this behavior might change in future updates.

For now, we recommend checking for possible firmware updates  for your devices and if that doesn't help - to reach out to the manufacturer for further help with the Bluetooth configuration. 

Thanks for your understanding.

69 Replies

Im giving up and switching to another service. Too annoying

I will be Uninstalling spitify and going back to pandora

it is beyond annoying.  You ride on the car, early in the morning, and without your cue or order, it starts playing the music you were listening to last night.  Why on earth does spotify think or decide that because i was listening to that tune last night at a party I would want to continue listening to that same thing early in the morning today? And even if it stop it and close spotify, it continues to reopen without my order as long as my car radio is on

The Spotify people are no hearing. Almost four years since the first message in this threat was posted, and they have done nothing about the issue.

This problem has been there for more than 10 years according the community!  What does it take to get Spotify to finally fix it?  It is not specific to Android Auto as it claimed.  It does it with several models of Bluetooth headsets as well.   I have been trying for a long time to make it stop, and the only solution has been to either stop using Bluetooth or remove the app. Polycom/Plantronics BT headsets behave like Android Auto and Apple Car Play.  I can hang up a call on the BT headset on the phone and the Android Spotify that was force-closed will autoplay without my permission or request.

OFF is not a feature request... How ridiculous....

Holy **bleep** after this many years this simple issue hasn't yet been fixed. Spotify should ask how their competition has managed to solve this.

Not surprised seeing the number of people have left Spotify due to this. The risk to my work and reputation was just unnecessary.

I disable my spotify account awhile back and using alternatives have not seen this issue and am as happy as a clam.

To spotify... good luck. Its not really the problem here that is the issue, its far more your lack of interest in solving the problem.

Well, as me and my family have since have left this app, no skin off my nose 🤷🏽‍♂️

I have the same issue. I can hit pause. But every time a text message or a phone call ends. It starts playing whatever the last thing was. It's very frustrating. I wish it would just stop. I'm about ready to delete the app and stop the payment altogether.

I might have fixed this for me.  My speaker showed a car next to it in Spotify. I couldn't find out how to stop Spotify thinking it was a car so instead I went to the car options and turned off the option in that to reconnect with Bluetooth when I start driving.  Sure enough the car icon has gone away and I *think* Spotify is not starting automatically any more!   Happy to provide more info if this is not clear...

Thanks. Yes I do find "car mode" in Spotify causes a host of problems. Even after I "disable" car mode, Spotify still shows a car icon and behaves weirdly, removes loads of options, becomes even more radio-like and throws me back into car mode whenever the app loses focus. It can't understand that sometimes you are in a car but you aren't driving. It would be helpful to be able to properly disable car mode i.e. the car icon disappears and it just behaves normally.

I have the same issue on my 3rd phone, now with a Samsung Galaxy S24.

Only with Spotify, no other apps are starting playback automatically. 

Suggested posts