Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[PSA] Samsung users please read!

Solved!

[PSA] Samsung users please read!

Summary:

If you are using a Samsung device which has been updated (or running) Android 6.x Marshmallow it appears that they have introduced an agressive power saving option which is closing Spotify or stopping it accessing data when the application is sent to the background or the screen display turned off. The following are common symptoms caused by this:

Symptoms:

• Next song in an album/playlist is not played
  • Lock Screen control vanishing
  • Spotify notification disappears
  • Tracks marked for offline listening fail to download
  • Notifications for new followers, albums etc have not been coming up

Resolution:

If you are using a Samsung device and experiencing any of these symptoms please disable the Power Saver settings as follows: 

Settings > Battery > Power Saving Mode> In the Power Saving Mode settings disable the "Restrict background data" setting

Kudos to @Cerda45 for the tip here

If it's still not working after doing the above then disable Power Saving Mode entirely:

Settings > Battery > Power Saving Mode

Settings > Battery > Detail > Spotify >Turned off

Further Info:

I believe Samsung are aware of the issues this is causing - not only to Spotify - and we can hope they improve the power saving feature in the next software update which is hinted at being sometime around June.

Still having the issue? This could be the Android 'Doze' feature taking effect. Read the section "Tracks stop playing when screen turned off or the Spotify application is in the background" in the [COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
89 Replies

Perfect, just what i needed

No, I haven't.

Update: all is good now. If you want a response from Spotify, email them. They are quick to respond and work out issues through email.

Problem with volume fluctuation!

Power saving mode is ment to save your battery, the reason why it shuts down spotify is because sadly Spotify does take up a bit of battery

I have the same problem on Samsung Galaxy a52016. Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem because it is a little annoying.

I have galaxy s7 edge on Android 7.0 & i have noticed another strange issue which is if im playing my music & then go into a game, it automatically turns the volume down on the music from spotity even if i have the music on the game on mute.  i have to turn the volume up again as the music is still playing.

Any ideas how to resolve this? 

Hi, I'm running spotify on the new Galaxy S8 and when I'm playing music (either on Wi-Fi or not) the music will randomly pause during the song. I've tried all the suggestions here aside from reinstalling the app but it keeps happening. Please help!

Try making sure your net is not shutting off when your phone is going into sleep/lock mode. Also make sure that spotify is not restricted to just wifi only..

I've done everything said to do. Spotify keeps pausing on me or randomly changing to a different song! All after software update

Suggested posts