Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play a song (that I want)

Play a song (that I want)

Hello! I have one simple question, but first I'll introduce the issue (which made me a Spotify non user).

Every single time that someone sends me one song/album, i'm unable to hear it. Or else it doesn't even start, being stuck in the last playlist (even though the app was closed for a long time), only showing the image of the album and the pre-listen option, or else it creates it's own playlist (most of the time completely unrelated), in which I cannot select which song I want to play, and in which the actual song that I was trying to play it's completely hidden, even more since I can only play the playlist in shuffle mode.

So, I end up just listening the preview of the song/ one song of the album (if I'm lucky).

It's completely useless: it's nice to have playlist based in one song, but if that's song is absolutlely missing the basis fall down; it's nice to hear music related to the music you play, but if I cannot listen the song that I'm trying to play, I have no clue whether it's even related or not.

Hope you understan my concern.

Anyway, the question:

Is this because I'm not premium user? Is it there some hidden menu in the settings to avoid that (annoyingly useless) feature (like that mysterious and also seemingly useless "strange things mode")? Is just my phone? Does everyone experience the same?

If that really happens, and on purpose, is it just another inconvenience that you add to lead us to the premium? Because, at least for me, is really bad marketing. I mean, ¿Why would I pay for a music app in which I cannot even listen to the songs that I select, or the ones whose link I click?

Have a nice day, hope to talk to you soon.

Daniel Berrocal Gutiérrez

Plan

Free

Country

Netherlands

Device

Wiko view max

Operating System

Android Oreo 8.1

3 Replies

Hi @Fadafacka

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Regarding your question, on-demand mobile access is available only for Premium users. However, it's available on selected playlists for Free users as well, there will be no shuffle symbol next to the title of the playlist. That means, you can choose a song you want to play and you have unlimited skips. 

You can still play on-demand using a desktop, even without Premium Subsription.

Here's an article comparing different Subscriptions offered by Spotify. Take a look if you're interested. 

@Emilia_8 wrote:

Hi @Fadafacka

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Regarding your question, on-demand mobile access is available only for Premium users. However, it's available on selected playlists for Free users as well, there will be no shuffle symbol next to the title of the playlist. That means, you can choose a song you want to play and you have unlimited skips. 

You can still play on-demand using a desktop, even without Premium Subsription.

Here's an article comparing different Subscriptions offered by Spotify. Take a look if you're interested. 

Thank you Emilia for your help and quick answer.

However, I'm still not sure about in which playlists I can choose. For example, I cannot do it I'm the very playlists that I create, even if they consist of one single song (that's what I try to do when I click the link to one song and it won't play it).

Are those on-demand available playlist randomly happening and you can find them sometimes?

Thank you again, and have a nice day.

Hi @Fadafacka

_20191008_173533.JPG

On the attached photo you can see, how playlists looks like on mobile device with Spotify Free. 

All the playlists with shuffle symbol (marked red) are playlists that you cannot pick a song form to play and you have 6 skips per hour. 

The two other playlists, Is it New Wave?  and Early Alternative, don't have the shuffle symbol, which means you can choose a song to play and you have unlimited skips. 

All the playlists made just for you like Daily Mix, Release Radar, Discover Weekly, etc. are playlists on-demand. As you can see on the attached screenshot, there are some other playlists created by Spotify, available on-demand as well. 

All the playlists you've created are only available to play on shuffle, if you're not subscribed to Spotify Premium. There might be a few similar songs added to them by Spotify as well.

So if you have a playlist with only one song, it doesn't necessarily mean, that this particular song will play right away. Some other songs recommended by Spotify might play before (and then after) the only one song in your playlist. 

If you use Spotify on desktop, you can play everything on demand, even with Spotify Free. You will just get ads between songs from time to time.  

I hope this helps a little. 

If you need anything else, feel free to ask. 

Suggested posts