Play "local files" on my mobile device

Solved!

Play "local files" on my mobile device

politzer
Roadie

What's the easiest way to be able to play "local files" that reside on my desktop device on my mobile? After bringing them in to the desktop Spotify client as a playlist I'm able to play them there, and the playlist appears on my mobile client, but the songs are grayed out and say "the track is unavailable".

Thanks

307 Replies

andyhurtt
Casual Listener

I'm not sure if you're suggesting something here or challenging the idea. Google Play Music does this, with some limits of course. It's the one tiny edge they have for me right now. I own a lot of independent music, old demos, unsigned bands, etc that I'd love to be able to stream. If Spotify were able to offer this I'd surely stick with them.

fullmetalheart
Casual Listener

I would love to have this ability too.  As someone else stated, I have music on my computer from lesser known artists that aren't on Spotify or ones that are that have albums that, for whatever legal reasons, are not on Spotify.  Not to mention music that is "not available in the US" that I had to download from Amazon just so I could upload to my Spotify playlist.

Personally, I have tons of storage on my phone so if I had to download a few albums worth of files (and come on, let's allow ogg files please!) that I had to have stored on my phone in order for the playlist to work, so be it.  I can understand that Spotify is not meant to be a free cloud storage for all of it's users local files.  It would be nice if Spotify could somehow connect to users' own cloud accounts and stream their published files.  I have quite a bit of music saved in my UbuntuOne account and it would be nice to have the option to be able to connect to it.  (Hint, hint)

I haven't had Spotify for that long, but it looks like this used to be an ability that customers were utilizing in the past.  WHY would you take that away?

Joe
Community Legend

Access to cloud storage would be great. This idea seems to be what you're suggesting but the response wasn't terribly encouraging 😞

crowcelldrummer
Casual Listener

When I first had spotify ever, there was a local playlist, which showed all music files I already had on my phone, I could add them to different playlists, even the stared one

Then after an update, the took it off for whatever reason.

Well, I don't have wifi, I own a desktop
soooo how do I go about listening to my own music and the music I can find on spotify in one playlist?

Joe
Community Legend

You can't unless you can come up with a way to get both the desktop and your mobile on the same network. If your desktop has wifi you could do this by creating an ad-hoc wireless network. That would enable you to synch local files from the desktop to your mobile. You would still need to copy the music from your mobile to your desktop using a USB connection first.

crowcelldrummer
Casual Listener

thanks a lot man, such a hassel, idk why they removed it in the first place

Reconix

Found this page wondering why the hell my local files wouldn't sync disbite the fact that the phone clearly states it's downloading.

My Problem : didn't actually realise I had to stick the phone on the network. 

Problem 2 : Although yes my desktop is connecting to the same router the LAN IP ranges are different from the WLAN IP ranges sort of annoying but I guess more my fault then anyone elses as spotify just assumes !

Never the less, to answers every ones questions here.

If you have a desktop without wirless, you can still sync so long as you turn wirless on your phone on.

You can manage local files you want to upload.

you don't have to put them in playlists.

lastly - in Devices chooseing manually choose playlist to sync is the best option for those of us with terabytes of collections.

holyfilament
Doing this worked for me!

@Afront wrote:

The Spotify webpage Local Music Files (https://www.spotify.com/us/about/local-music/) states:

Listening on your mobile
With Spotify Premium, your MP3 collection can also be enjoyed on your phone. All you need is a Spotify-friendly mobile.

Syncing local files by WiFi
If you have Spotify Premium and you want to sync your MP3s from your computer to your phone, just connect your mobile to the same network as your desktop computer. Now add your MP3s to a Spotify playlist, then open Spotify on your mobile to sync them for your offline pleasure.

This still seems to be true with the new Android version, provided "your MP3 collection" originates on your computer and you import it into Spotify there first.

mrwesking

@myplanet wrote:

The problem is the firewall see this:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Local-files-won-t-sync-with-Android-Phone/td-p/54821

In Windows 7, I went to Start -> Allow a program through Windows Firewall -> Spotify

Make sure there is a checkbox for the Home/Work (Private) network. That did it for me (I have the Android Galaxy Nexus GSM), I was able to see the new playlist with local files download to my phone.

Thank you!  This was the solution.  It was driving me crazy.

kossan10
Casual Listener

This worked perfect, temporarily. But if I make the playlist unavailible offline and then availible offline again, the songs are gone. I have not yet tried going outside with my new music, but I'm afraid it won't work unless my computer on the same wifi network as the phone.

dbiapett
Casual Listener

have the same problem, I have my the local files I want on my phone in a playlist. On my phone the listed is marked offline, however it does not sync my local files :S before with the old app it was able to play these songs, they're in mp3 format so nothing to indicate it shoudn't work. I heard Android assistant is a great tool to back up  music from smartphone to a computer.

johnnnyf

Same problem here, can we get a resolution? Might as well just go back to iTunes at this point

Vanguard
Tried all that and didn't work. 😕
[b]Vanguard[/b] | Why aren't you smiling?[br]Explore simplicity.™[/br]

roxport
Casual Listener
This is probably motivated by money somehow. Most things are 😞 This is one nail in your coffin, Oh Spotify! Come on! Do the right thing here. Please let us easily play.mp3 and audio files that we own and that are stored on our mobile devices but not on our other computers' hard drives. Technology should make things easier, right!? 🙂
Spotify, please don't let me down here, I've been a fan and evangelist of Spotify since before it was available in the U.S. and premium member as soon as it became available in the U.S.

LaDellafa

If your computer and device are on the same wifi network and all your local files are in a playlist. Just toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your device and you will trigger the local files sync :).

The solution was given here by MattSuda, the 4th post. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Syncing-local-files-to-mobile-device-still-not-work/td...

frostywontons

FYI to those still having issues syncing. Make sure "Network Discovery" is turned on as well in Windows. I often turn mine off when I don't need to connect to a device such as my printer and forget that I have it off. Took thirty frustrating minutes for me to figure out why I wasn't syncing local files to my phone. 

lawraWeltreich
Gig Goer

I'm making this question because all the guides I've found are horribly outdated.

I have some songs I want to be able to listen on my phone, so I moved them to my local files, created a playlist to test it (because I've seen it's the only way to do this, but that's okay) and the playlist does appear on my phone:

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o638/lawraWeltreich/uqxLbE9NxZbRzLqqIq9Tgby7QOK77aJT-32hHMUUqtE_...

bue when I open the playlist and attempt to sync/download it, it's greyed out and nothing happens:

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o638/lawraWeltreich/lPIJUpEORUYcnRaulgyEwtSfJdjrNa3vSN1dmgbzZ-A_...

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the feature to sync local files to my phone is no longer implemented. 

either way an aswer would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT1:

on my computer this is all I see. not sure if I'm doing something wrong or I'm not seeing something

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o638/lawraWeltreich/Sin%20tiacutetulo_zpsph8untuo.png

AGAIN, an answer, ANY answer, is all I want. If the feature is been removed, or if this is a known issue, or if there's a workaround, it's OKAY. I just want an answer so I can stop investing my time in this. I can always just move the mp3 files to my SD card but I would prefer to be able to use Spotify for this. 

Jadeladine

I have the very same problem!

MP3 files will play on my desktop PC Spotify account, and I can see them on my iphone, but they are grey and they wont let me play them.  Phone says 'Song Not Synced, if you own the song, you can sync it from your computer'.  I selected learn more and followed the instructions but it still doesn't work.  There are no files in the 'Local Files' folder in my phone.  Therefore I cant play music from my computer via Spotify.  It used to work fine before recent updates when devices was removed.

And no one seems to have any answers, very frustrating!

JeSuisKeli
Casual Listener

Okay, so  this is how I do it:

• I have one or more songs in my local files tab in the Spotify Desktop App
  • I select these songs, then I right click them, and I select "Make a new playlist"
  • I save the playlist, and then I go over to my phone and open the app, to see that playlist I've just created (Your problem here could be that you disabled the Automatic Sync in the Android Settings, therefore your device won't ask the Spotify servers if you had made a new playlist on your desktop
  • I click on the playlist, then I turn the "Available offline" switch
  • Not so short after, the song(s) are on my phone. As far as I know, this is the only way to have your own music from your computer on your phone, you have to download it.

EDIT: You might want to wait some time after you turned the switch to on. My phone keeps saying "Awaiting for download" when I turn it on, because some of my songs are not on Spotify and my computer somehow uploads them, and it's weird and I don't know how or why, but it works.

lawraWeltreich
Gig Goer

thank you for the reply but that doesn't work for me

SUGGESTED POSTS