Play "local files" on my mobile device

Solved!

Play "local files" on my mobile device

politzer
Roadie

What's the easiest way to be able to play "local files" that reside on my desktop device on my mobile? After bringing them in to the desktop Spotify client as a playlist I'm able to play them there, and the playlist appears on my mobile client, but the songs are grayed out and say "the track is unavailable".

Thanks

307 Replies

mmorales17
Yup, this solved my problems albeit, I am using Windows 8.1 but essentially the same process.

agirlandoc
Casual Listener

have you find the solution for this already? I'm having the same problem and i looked everywhere and i couldnt find the solution! i can play the songs onmy computer but no on my phone! if you found a solution let me know please

lawraWeltreich
Gig Goer

sorry but I haven't found an answer. I was hoping some of the mods would help but there's no word from them

Ed_sanchez

I´m having the same problem. I used to be able to sync the local files from my computer to my phone but all of a sudden I can´t anymore. I really want my songs back :C they only apear in gray and won´t let me listen to them. I used to be able to hear them fine. I tried the allowing spotify through the firewall thing but didn´t work either I have uninstalled the app twice because that worked for me once but not anymore. 

rschoon
Casual Listener

Wow...they sure do make this far harder than it needs to be. I was initially trying to play songs that I had stored locally on my phone, but that doesn't seem to work at all.

What finally did work was enabling Network Discovery on my computer, allowing Spotify specifically through the Windows firewall, creating a playlist on my computer, moving the local files I wanted to it, then downloading that playlist on my phone.

Should be far simpler than all that...

user-removed
Not applicable
great solution!!! finally local files on my mobile!

politzer
Roadie

kike13
Casual Listener

i have the same issue on my iphone 5s, any suggestion?

kike13
Casual Listener
Hey,

I have the same issue on my iphone 5s.
Any suggestion?

alideet

Spotify Admin where are you? This is an issue that I have been dealing with aswell for over a year. Please help. If the functionality is there why won't it work?

Stormergirl24
Gig Goer

I am having the same problem as everyone here, got some mp3's i tried to sync to my phone but theyre greyed out and wont play, i can play them just fine on my laptop, i went through all the dierctions and followed the tutorial, but they still won't play on my phone. I have not been able to find anything that works so far, and i would really like to listen to these songs.

JeSuisKeli
Casual Listener

Guys, guys guys guys!!! I have found the solution, at least it worked for me!

Now, what you want to do is this:

• Make sure your desired songs are in playlist
  • Open Spotify on your computer and on your phone at the same time
  • Open the playlist you have your mp3s in on your phone
  • Switch the "Make Available Offline" switch on.

It always works for me, the trick is to have your Spotify on PC and phone opened at the same time.

EDIT: I discovered that when your phone downloads the songs with this method, the PC shows heavy network usage, as it is uploading the songs to your phone through Spotify

Stormergirl24
Gig Goer

Tried this and it didn't seem to work for me 😕

JeSuisKeli
Casual Listener

These songs literally do not exist on Spotify and I was able to get them on my phone with that method.

Screenshot_2015-10-14-20-53-47.png

Stormergirl24
Gig Goer

the songs I want aren't on Spoitfy either, idk if its just a problem with the devices I'm using or what, I am using a Droid Mini and my hp Pavilion laptop, I opened Spotify at the same time on both, opened the playlists with the songs i want at the same time and hit 'make avaliable offline' at the same time as well and it didn't do anything. It could be something with the files I' using as well, they're mp3 cuts from youtube videos, the songs aren't avaliable to buy anywhere yet, could that be my problem?

JeSuisKeli
Casual Listener

Pretty much all mp3s work.

Man, I wish I could make a video to explain the method. I'll try to go more detailed this time!

• Open up Spotify on your computer, and head over to Local Files. These are the tracks you have on your computer. Select one or more tracks and make a normal playlist of them. If you have a look on your phone right now, you can see that the playlist and the songs are there, you just can't listen to them.
  • Leave Spotify opened on your computer, and open the app on your phone. If you're on mobile data, click on Settings, and turn on Syncing with mobile data. Keep in mind that this might cost you money, as downloading tracks uses a lot of data. Alternatively, you can switch over to WiFi, this is my preferred option as well.
  • Now still on your phone, open that playlist you made earlier. Switch the "Make Available Offline" switch on, but just on your phone. Important: Spotify on your computer still needs to be opened to send the songs over to your phone.
  • Your phone will download the tracks over time. You can check if your computer is sending data by opening the Task Manager on Windows and looking at the more detalied views, if Spotify is sending data with more than 15 Mbit/s, they are the songs.

Leaving both apps opened on both platforms is essential, as it is the only way to send the non-existent files over to your phone. I was able to get Taylor Swift's 1989 by this method, so I guess it works. 

Stormergirl24
Gig Goer

I'll give it another try i suppose, nothing else has worked. If it doesn't work this time not sure what else i can do

Stormergirl24
Gig Goer

ok I tried it again and it didn't work, went on task manager while i was doing it and it wasn't even sending the songs

lawraWeltreich
Gig Goer
I gave up long ago, I just added the songs to my sd card and listen to them with Google Music or whatever that app is called. The lack of response from the mods is astounding.

Stormergirl24
Gig Goer

I have the songs on my phone but i suppose its more of a convenience thing, i'd like to listen to them without having to go back and forth between two apps for those songs and the rest of my playlist

SUGGESTED POSTS