Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Samsung Galaxy 9+

Operating System

Android Oreo (8.0.0)

My Question or Issue

Will occasionally pause playback of songs - This can happen between songs AND sudden, mid-track, with the phone screen on AND off, and regardless of the app running in background or foreground (i.e. visible/open).

When this happen, not only do the notification bar controls disappear, but also controls on Lock screen and Always On Display disappear.

Even if I go on and start the app to resume playback (press play) - it will, appear to, behave normally. But I cannot control the app from the system notification, lock screen or AOD. It's as if the app is not running if not for the normal playback, playing track after track and responding to Bluetooth device controls.

Also it's like it is running on other audio channels.

Music won't dive/pause when e.g. another app plays audio/video, and if I disconnect my BT headphones or 3.5 Aux cable, music will sometimes keep playing, and other times (mostly) paus - only to resume playing 30-90 seconds later. Normal behavior used to be that it pauses until I decide to resume playback!

To work around this issue, each time playback stops, I open Spotify, bring upp recent apps, swipe away Spotify to "close" it, open Spotify again (I know it's a new instance because seeker is back at 0:00).

But I am getting tired of this, and it's not funny thing to keep doing when driving - especially not when music suddenly goes on playing in my pocket when I e.g. get outside my car...

3 Replies

Hey @Mahnas92, welcome to the Spotify Community!

It's odd that this happens. Do you remember if it started after any specific update or event? Also, let us know the exact Spotify version you're currently running and if this happens on all connections (WiFi/mobile data). In the meantime, try restarting your device and let us know if it makes any difference.

Keep us posted. 

Hi, this has been happening to me as well.  I have the latest version of the app.  It helps to restart my phone, but it isn't a lasting solution, I have to keep restarting over and over almost every time I use the app.  It has been going on for a few weeks, I think it may have coincided with a big update.

Same, having particular trouble keeping the control bar in the notifications tray on my Pixel 2, which just got Pie today. Was hoping that update would fix it but nope: same issue. Other issues as well, particularly with downloading songs for offline mode, which takes several attempts of force closing the app or restarting the phone.

The only correlation I've noticed is that the control bar in the notification tray seems to work fine UNTIL I connect to a bluetooth device (for audio). Can't even say for certain that it's a 100% direct relationship.

Really getting annoyed with paying $10 a month for a service with no customer service and at least a couple favorite songs disappearing every month.

Suggested posts