Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback starts and stops infinitely after hitting brief Edge area or temporarily weak 4G.

Playback starts and stops infinitely after hitting brief Edge area or temporarily weak 4G.

I'm on T-Mobile, Galaxy S3.  My 4G speeds are very, very good, usually around 10Mbps on average.  Often higher.  When listening to Spotify in the car, I'll occasionally enter a brief area of Edge network, or sometimes a weaker area of 4G.  The area is usually brief, and lasts no more than a minute or so.  What happens is audio will drop out after entering the Edge area (this part is expected and comes as no surprise), but when 4G kicks back in, playback will  start playing for a few seconds, then a few seconds of silence (while song time counter keeps going), then a few seconds of playback, another few seconds of silence, infinitately.  The only way to break the cycle is to restart the app.  The expected behavior, in my opinion, would be that the playback would stop while cellular bandwidth was too weak to support the stream, then once bandwidth increase,and buffer caught up, playback would resume normally.  I have been using Rdio and this doesn't happen with Rdio.  Rdio simply stops playback when it hits the Edge area.  Occasionally, if the Edge area is too long, Rdio will just skip the song it was on and play the next one once 4G kicks back in.  I much prefer that behavior.  Pandora doesn't have an issue either.  It acts much like Rdio does.

The behavior has made me move over to Rdio.  But I prefer the slightly better library of Spotify, and I'd move back if I could correct this behavior.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Reply

This could be because the tracks are mis downloaded, and as they are encrypted it doesn't work as well.

I have this issue as well in weak signal areas - waiting for a while, or moving to the next track makes it work.

Liam

Suggested posts