Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback stops, then my phone becomes unresponsive

Playback stops, then my phone becomes unresponsive

Not sure if it's because of spotify or I just need a new phone. Was listening to music, had my phone in my pocket, then suddenly playback stops. I open the app but then it crashes and my phone becomes unresponsive. I turn it off and try to restart it but then it doesn't switch off, just gives me a black screen while the lights are still on.

I had a smaller problem a few days ago where Spotify couldn't detect my SD card, and turns out my SD card became corrupted as a result. I've changed my SD card from Sandisk to Kingston since. 

I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. EDIT: Android version 6.0.1

9 Replies

Hi. I'd be inclined to remove the SD card aand then perform a clean reinstall of spotify to see if it works correctly without the SD card. If it does you can try reformatting the SD card in the phone and see how things go.

Incidentally, you should check out this post on powrsaving causing spotify to stop playing.

Hi Joe, thanks for the advice. I already did that though when I changed my SD card, and it was working fine on that day.

bump - problem still persisting and i think it's breaking my phone

Hey, I'm not sure whether you're saying it works without the SD card after a clean reinstall or not. Could you clarify please?

It worked without the SD card after a clean reinstall, and I also did a clean reinstall again with my new SD card just in case. 

OK so please try another clean reinstall then reformat the SD card in the phone.

Once you've done that, go to android settings/application manager and scroll down to spotify and tap it. Then tap "more/all permissions" at the top. Tap permissions and make sure that spotify has permission to read and modify the SD card.

Finally set the spotify storage location to SD card and see how it goes.

Okay, I just did that. I'll restore a backup later, but Spotify seems to be working fine except for a small problem - it won't allow me to download any more music because it says I've reached the maximum devices allowed (3)... 

The only other device I use is my iPad, so that can't be right.

Ah yeah, the storage location changes will do that. Just remove any android devices here.

Ah okay, I've done that. Thanks for showing me the page.

Just did another clean install because apparently my entire gallery became inaccessible after spotify started working.

Suggested posts