Playing Downloaded Content with Intermittent Connection

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Samsung Galaxy

My Question or Issue

Hello. I use Spotify to listen to downloaded podcasts and music while driving in areas with limited cell service. I download content ahead of time, but as of a 2020 update, the downloaded podcast list either does not populate or will not play until there is service. Anyone know a fix? Thanks! 

Screenshot_20210118-163420_Spotify.jpg
9 Replies

Hey @agent_mattman

Help’s here!

In case your downloaded podcasts don't show it's a good idea to run a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device. This will remove any corrupted data that could be causing the issue. 

Tip: Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts. 

If this persists, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your mobile device. Such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are enabled for Spotify. 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

I appreciate the response. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and confirmed that there are no additional battery optimization settings. Unfortunately it still occurred.

Hi @agent_mattman

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind letting us know if this is still happening when you switch on the Offline Mode

If the issue persists, could you send over your device's exact OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It does not appear to happen if the device is in airplane mode or if Spotify is in offline mode, although I haven't been able to confirm in a no service area.

I am running Spotify version 8.5.98.984 on Android v10 with kernel version 4.14.62

Hey @agent_mattman

Thanks for your reply. 

Even if some content is already downloaded, the app will try to connect to the internet and this might be the reason why it takes so long to appear or doesn't appear at all when you have an intermittent connection.

However, when you activate the Offline Mode it should only show the content that's already been downloaded, even if you're in a no service area.

This should do the trick. Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

I will advise on the results and update accordingly.

However, if this does resolve the issue, then I believe that would be a workaround instead of a resolution. I would like to request it as a tracked bug as it did not occur previously. I use the app/premium service for both downloaded content as well as streamed content. My expectation is that I will be able to switch to downloaded content via the downloaded library tab without having to alter application settings.

Hey there @agent_mattman

Thanks for your message.

Could you let us know if you were able to test this?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator

Hello. I was able to go to a no service area and confirm loading of downloaded content and playback. Is there a way to submit a bug request for it searching for a connection? Thank you.

Hey @agent_mattman

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, is the app still working in these areas when it's set to offline?

Also, could you let us know if the same thing happens with a different device? 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

Suggested posts